Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest neesy111

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

Nah, I had a ST for that season and didn't get a free ticket.  The only people who got them were bond holders and those who got moved during the stadium expansion for a few years.

Sorry it was if you signed up to the 3 year deal iirc

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

from the first season of the newly developed gallowgate. 10year bond to guarantee your ticket. £500 paid over three years and you got 3 years home cup tickets free and your name under your seat.

Nope it wasn't that.

Started in 2007 under Ashley.

Not that it worked much...

2 home cup games over 3 years :lol:

I know what it was.  If you paid for it all upfront (3 years), you got free cup tickets and a discount on the ST price.

Whilst the suggestion of a boycott is well meaning & in principal a powerful tool if "successful". It is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to attract the kind of numbers to force any tangible change in Ashleys mind-set.

Some of the posts in this thread are alarmingly lucid & informative but, unfortunately, insular. I would suggest that attendance to home matches are seen by most as an important element in their social life, and that to sacrifice them, would be a sacrifice too far. I think there are a few more rungs down the ladder we need to go to in order to convince enough people bite their noses off on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, a boycott of Sports direct would be both unrealistic, in terms of the lack of alternative sports shops on the high street (Ashley now has a monopoly in this market) for people who could be arsed to look for one & inconsequential, in terms of its potential to hit Ashley hard enough to care.

I am becoming more ambivalent towards Ashley as the days go on. I find his stewardship unambitious, embarrassing & crass at the best of times but I just wonder what would come over the hill should he decide to bail out.

Very well put.

That is just an embarrassing mentality to be honest. Oh no, we shouldn't try and improve the club's situation as there is a slight risk the next owner might be even worse, as unlikely as it is. By the same token we may as well keep Pardew for the duration of his contract regardless of relegations or results, because you never how the next manager is going to fare.

Would you consider Ashley to be worse than Shepherd - Hall?

Much of muchness really. I loathe Shepherd more than I hate Ashley, but they're both absolute w*****s.

Absolutely, so if we accept that the last two / three owners have been utter cocks (Two of which were supposed to be fans before owners), why should the next owner (who is unlikely to be a fan - unless we see some bizarre lottery win / massive change of heart form Ashley) place the fans interests above hard cash?

I can respect a "beer glass half full" attitude, but to assume that the next owner(s) would be any less frustrating than the present incumbent is, at the very least, optimistic.

If there exists a benevolent prospective custodian who has the long term interests of the club & the region at heart & the funds to back it up perhaps someone should give them a call & tell them to get there asses down to the Orange Tree pretty f***ing pronto to thrash out a deal. 

Shepherd and Ashley are two very different types of t*** though. The former had ambition, but was a crap businessman and a simply horrible individual, whereas Ashley has zero ambition for NUFC but clearly knows how to run a business.

I don't think this is a situation that can be dismissed with "better the devil you know" any more. We're going nowhere under the current regime. I want this club to be the best, the dream that we may one day achieve that is what keeps me forking out for my season ticket. The knowledge that those in charge simply want us to exist in the midtable of the Premier League so they can continue to take cash out of the club isn't something that makes me want to continue to pay into NUFC.

We are to all intents and purposes a rather lucrative advert masquerading as a football club.

Only when it didn't effect the dividends and "take", see the Bowyer summer of "restraint" when £9Mill in dividends etc. still managed to be found.

It's somewhat telling when you look at the dividend/take profile that as it diminished the club started spending money trying to find a buyer (£6Mill in 2006 iirc). Soon as the gravy boat looked like drying up they were looking for the "out" before the reckoning arrived.

They're both as bad as each other in their own ways, the fans are the one's who suffer though, always has been always will be.

Guest firetotheworks

The sad thing in all of this for me, is that the man that as been at the controls over some of the most suicidal, unambitious and disrespectful decisions in our history will also ultimately be the person that makes a decision on who to sell to.

The sad thing in all of this for me, is that the man that as been at the controls over some of the most suicidal, unambitious and disrespectful decisions in our history will also ultimately be the person that makes a decision on who to sell to.

Yes - you're right and we do have to accept that he will not give a single sh*t about who it is either, as long they are good for his wedge.

Re boycotting matches I remember when not many people went to the Spurs match in the League Cup (not long after that Hull match) and apparently a good few stayed away in protest. I thought the attendance was tiny but just looked it up and it was about 20k, which isn't even that bad really. :lol:

If you had a ST you got home cup matches free. That's probably why that many turned up tbf :lol:

Nah, I had a ST for that season and didn't get a free ticket.  The only people who got them were bond holders and those who got moved during the stadium expansion for a few years.

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

from the first season of the newly developed gallowgate. 10year bond to guarantee your ticket. £500 paid over three years and you got 3 years home cup tickets free and your name under your seat.

Nope it wasn't that.

I know what it was.  If you paid for it all upfront (3 years), you got free cup tickets and a discount on the ST price.

I've done the three years up front the last 6 years and have never been told i have free cup games

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

Nope it wasn't that.

I've done the three years up front the last 6 years and have never been told i have free cup games

is it absolutely true?

Don't think he created the situation which led to KK leaving the first time mind, or appointed Gullit or Souness or Fat Sam or sacked SBR in the way it was done, or refused to talk about hiring Mourhino because he'd never heard of him or got caught in a brothel, or refused to pay £135K for Steve Bruce (when Norwich did) or sold Gazza/Waddle etc etc etc etc

NUFC is an unrelenting story of suicidal decisions.

Ahh, makes sense.

First i've heard of that

Nope it wasn't that.

is it absolutely true?

It's stopped now. Defo started in 2007 though. I think it stopped after the first 3 years; so 2010.

Don't think he created the situation which led to KK leaving the first time mind, or appointed Gullit or Souness or Fat Sam or sacked SBR in the way it was done, or refused to talk about hiring Mourhino because he'd never heard of him or got caught in a brothel, or refused to pay £135K for Steve Bruce (when Norwich did) or sold Gazza/Waddle etc etc etc etc

NUFC is an unrelenting story of suicidal decisions.

His post did include the words "some of"  ;)

Guest The_Optimistic

Just read this from the chronicle:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-protest-how-newcastle-5845812

Reading this p*ssed me off. I was actually looking forward to going to the leeds game.  Can't see what this is going to prove, boycotting a game which you need to buy a separate ticket for? They probably weren't even going to go anyway which is fine by me as its extra £££.

When are they going to realize that boycotting games are never going to work because proper fans like me+others will go and support the team no matter what. If you don't want to go and see the lads no more then f*ck off, i don't care, don't sing and dance about it and expect a medal because your boycotting a league cup match.

No-one can be completely happy with the way things have been run - there have been a number of mistakes, the latest one being Kinnear.

But this current outburst feels a bit reactive. I suspect if we'd signed Gomis, most people would have been generally content with the transfer window and we wouldn't be hearing all this.

It was made quite clear in January that the glut of signings then was the summer spending brought forward. Remy has been a good addition so lets just see how the current squad gels before manning the barricades.

No-one can be completely happy with the way things have been run - there have been a number of mistakes, the latest one being Kinnear.

But this current outburst feels a bit reactive. I suspect if we'd signed Gomis, most people would have been generally content with the transfer window and we wouldn't be hearing all this.

It was made quite clear in January that the glut of signings then was the summer spending brought forward. Remy has been a good addition so lets just see how the current squad gels before manning the barricades.

:icon_puke_r:

It's been building up since the Kinnear appointment and the gaps in the squad are plain to see. People have every right to be annoyed.

It's not like we haven't complained about Ashley before, have we..? :lol:

So what exactly is it going to take for some fans to start complaining? League two football every season?

Some corroboration of the accusations made in the last few pages would do it for me. Siphoning off profits from the club to SD would be a despicable act from an owner as rich as he is, but if SD is doing so well, quite why he needs the football club to subsidise it is beyond me. I'll wait until I hear a third party opinion before accepting it as gospel though. It's a serious accusation and deserves a thorough inspection to see if there's more to it than fan speculation.

It was made quite clear in January that the glut of signings then was the summer spending brought forward.

They can say that every day until the heat death of the universe, but it still remains that the signings in January should have been made the summer before, not the summer after.

Guest firetotheworks

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-protest-how-newcastle-5845812

Reading this p*ssed me off. I was actually looking forward to going to the leeds game.  Can't see what this is going to prove, boycotting a game which you need to buy a separate ticket for? They probably weren't even going to go anyway which is fine by me as its extra £££.

When are they going to realize that boycotting games are never going to work because proper fans like me+others will go and support the team no matter what. If you don't want to go and see the lads no more then f*ck off, i don't care, don't sing and dance about it and expect a medal because your boycotting a league cup match.

Whether not going to matches makes you more or less of a fan is down to everyone's own personal interpretation at the moment, imo. Personally, I think it should be up to everyone what they do, and if some want to support the team through Ashley's bullshit then that's fine, but it's not fine for everyone.

Ashley benefits from supporting the team being seen as the right thing to do, regardless of the way he persistently shits on us and this club from a great height. For some, hitting Ashley where it hurts and compromising the support for directly the team is a compromise that's worth making.

Guest neesy111

Go you SUPER FAN!

Guest The_Optimistic

Go you SUPER FAN!

So do you think they are making a big statement by not going to a 3rd round capital cup game?