Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

What a f*ckin' cretin Millband is. SD is probably one of the few firms where zero-hour contracts are arguably useful to the typical employee e.g. young college/uni students on the shop floor.

When I was at Uni 1998-2001) and worked at the Students Union bar , I too was on zero hour contract. Worked great for my circumstances.

Apropos of nothing, I'm a lifelong Lab voter and most of my family are card-carrying Labour party members. (one grandfather was an actual communist party member before he died....he didn't approve of the current shower!)

Milliband is more or less the most insipid, idea-free, p*ss-weak 'leader' we have had in living memory. He was elected in as a protest. And he's made me do the unthinkable, probably abstaining from the next GE.

Can anyone imagine him facing down Putin? Its a joke.

What a f*ckin' cretin Millband is. SD is probably one of the few firms where zero-hour contracts are arguably useful to the typical employee e.g. young college/uni students on the shop floor.

When I was at Uni 1998-2001) and worked at the Students Union bar , I too was on zero hour contract. Worked great for my circumstances.

You ever been in SD? If they're at uni then god help us all.

Disagree to a degree, zero hours has worked for me previously as well when I did bar work as a student but this is different. I think they have a place in our economy if used properly, in the correct circumstances and with the correct benefits. However, I do not think it is appropriate for such a larger retailer to basically employ all of their front line staff other than management using zero hours contracts, it is manipulation and exploitation of workforce for maximum profit.

Plus loads of places which use zero-hour contracts require you to turn up whenever they ask, I've heard of plenty students being asked to go into work when they are meant to have lectures etc. A zero hour contract at somewhere like an SU is obviously going to cater for a students needs, loads won't though.

Yeah, basically you have to be willing to work any day with the right amount of notice.

Not a fan of zero hour contracts, I think for a lot of people they don't work, and the zero hour contract show a basic lack of respect for the individual. They can work for the minority but certainly not the majority.

• 2 weeks later...

It's still a pisstake and is a clear conflict of interest and should not be allowed

Spot on, clubs should be run with the aim of being the best in every competition, at least one of us or Rangers can't be.

Guest firetotheworks

Surely that simply cannot be allowed? Exactly how can any governing body justify that without it being blatantly corrupt?

Non story for now, the new Rangers can't qualify this year (even if they won the Scottish Cup) due to FFP rules, they don't have enough accounts filed to satisfy the rules.

Earliest they would be able to qualify is from next season, even then they might not even get promoted, which would be rather splendid.

I hope we finish in a European spot just to hear Pardew's spin on this.

Why? It's a dream come true for him (and Ashley)...

is it? i wouldn't have thought Ashley would want us to qualify for Europe. He would want Rangers there, but not us

Precisely. Finishing in the Europa spots (higher TV money allocation) without the drawback of having to compete in Europe (and needing a bigger squad to handle more matches/risking relegation due to not being able to handle being in multiple competitions) would be ideal for them.

I hope we finish in a European spot just to hear Pardew's spin on this.

Why? It's a dream come true for him (and Ashley)...

is it? i wouldn't have thought Ashley would want us to qualify for Europe. He would want Rangers there, but not us

Precisely. Finishing in the Europa spots (higher TV money allocation) without the drawback of having to compete in Europe (and needing a bigger squad to handle more matches/risking relegation due to not being able to handle being in multiple competitions) would be ideal for them.

I get what you are saying, but I mean, ti would likely cause extreme supporter unrest, which he doesn't want

Very debatable. It's been relatively quiet for the last year or so, but at times you could be forgiven for thinking the exact opposite (SJP renaming, Llambias, Keegan, Carroll, Kinnear).

Would there be a case against Ashley for the 'Fit and Proper Person' test, if this ever happens? Surely by doing such a thing he is denying both clubs to compete to the best of their ability?

Im sure he has already thought of all of this.  I dont think he cares enough about football anyway, happy to keep newcastle on the gravy train without achieving anything.

If I understand correctly, until Rangers get back into Europe and improve their co-efficient we would go in at their expense regardless of who qualified for which competition, as due to being English and 2012-13 we have a higher co-efficient.

By that time Ashley will be long gone I'd imagine.

I dont think he is going anywhere while nufc gives SD coverage and is bringing in extra wedge. The only hope we have is he recieves a mad offer to sell up.  Even then we dont know what will be left of nufc as a club. 

basically Rangers will be back in the CL, so essentially its saying its okay for Ashely to deliberately avoid it with Newcastle, surely that's against the rules.

What if we qualified for the Europa and Rangers qualified for the CL and were dropped into the Europa?  I doubt we could both qualify for even different competitions without a potential conflict of interest.

basically Rangers will be back in the CL, so essentially its saying its okay for Ashely to deliberately avoid it with Newcastle, surely that's against the rules.

What if we qualified for the Europa and Rangers qualified for the CL and were dropped into the Europa?  I doubt we could both qualify for even different competitions without a potential conflict of interest.

Only one club could take part in a UEFA tournament and the higher profile tournament would take precedence.  So if Rangers qualified for the Champions League and we qualified for the Europa League, then Rangers would be allowed to play in the Champions League and we would not be allowed in the Europa League.  Therefore if Rangers later dropped into the Europa, it would not be a problem because we would not have been allowed entry in the first place.

If we both qualify for the Europa League, then the club with the higher co-efficient would be the club allowed in.  At present that would be us because our co-efficient is higher but one would assume once Rangers get back into the Champions League, their co-efficient would soon overtake ours.

Only one club could take part in a UEFA tournament and the higher profile tournament would take precedence.  So if Rangers qualified for the Champions League and we qualified for the Europa League, then Rangers would be allowed to play in the Champions League and we would not be allowed in the Europa League.  Therefore if Rangers later dropped into the Europa, it would not be a problem because we would not have been allowed entry in the first place.

If we both qualify for the Europa League, then the club with the higher co-efficient would be the club allowed in.  At present that would be us because our co-efficient is higher but one would assume once Rangers get back into the Champions League, their co-efficient would soon overtake ours.

Where's that from?