Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I thought he had been banned, but popped on today and saw him still banging his old drum.

We should really invite him back for a one-off special

Was banned for a bit, think he was let back on the promise he would change his ways and well...

It still makes me angry though, when I look around the stadium and 99% of the adverts I can see are SD and only the very occasional Virgin money or Thomas Cook in between. Not just that it is everywhere - literally every surface is plastered with that crap - it also takes away space and therefore money from other sponsors. I can't stand SD!

Apparently Sports Direct adverts are put up when no other advertiser has paid to advertise in that available location. If a company wanted to pay for an advert in a location taken by a Sports Direct advert, I'm sure the Sports Direct advert would come down.

:thup: They're merely showcasing.

Which is the reason it's so intense. "Look at the amount of space for advertising!" kind of thing.

Guest Sophie S

It still makes me angry though, when I look around the stadium and 99% of the adverts I can see are SD and only the very occasional Virgin money or Thomas Cook in between. Not just that it is everywhere - literally every surface is plastered with that crap - it also takes away space and therefore money from other sponsors. I can't stand SD!

Apparently Sports Direct adverts are put up when no other advertiser has paid to advertise in that available location. If a company wanted to pay for an advert in a location taken by a Sports Direct advert, I'm sure the Sports Direct advert would come down.

If that's the case, then I take some of my words back. I still think they are overdoing it with advertising space - and it makes me angry. While seat, steps and urinals (have to trust madras on this one) luckily aren't, the side of the pitch, the stands, the tiers, the roof, the side of the roof, the tunnel, ... are more than enough. But well, I think that has been discussed before.

Are you sure they are just "showcasing" it for any advertiser to come in though? Or are they holding out for a new main sponsor (like with the stadium name) and say "look, this is what you could have: your name and company everywhere". Otherwise I wonder how we lost so many sponsors? 

Can't help thinking that using Sports Direct as a showcase doesn't particularly help sell the space mind. :lol:

If I were a prospective advertiser, at best I'd ask for a heavy discount to put my brand anywhere near their ugly ass logo. :hmm:

If the club sustains the current level of progress all revenue streams will be on the rise again, advertising, sponsorship, corporate, merchandising etc will all look a lot healthier next season. I've heard quite a few people who currently don't have season tickets saying they're getting them next season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-news/mike-ashley-could-net-24million-806519

It's Mike Cashley: Toon tycoon could net £24m as Sports Direct profits soar

Sports Direct, in which Ashley owns a big stake, announced its founder will bag an extra two million shares if the firm keeps firing on all cylinders

Toon tycoon Mike Ashley could net £24million as profits at his sports empire soar.

The Newcastle United owner is already on top of the world, with his team battling for a Champions League spot.

And things got even better when Sports Direct, in which Ashley owns a big stake, announced its founder will bag an extra two million shares if the firm keeps firing on all cylinders.

Ashley was already in line for six million shares if Sports Direct met testing profits targets over the next three years.

But the company yesterday confirmed they’d whack this up to eight million if even higher targets were met.

The new goal is group earnings of £270m in the next financial year, rising to £340m in 2015.

If all things go to plan, Ashley would bag shares worth nearly £24m at today’s price of just under £3.

The pay-out comes on top of the £86m Ashley, said to be worth £700m, banked from a recent property deal with Sports Direct.

The group’s shares were up more than 2% after the company announced gross profits rose 13.5% to nearly £100m in the nine weeks to the end of March.

Sales leapt 13.2% to £267.6m, with business through its online arm booming.

The company has already confirmed underlying profits for the full-year to the end of April will be above £225m, triggering a windfall for more than 2,000 workers.

Eligible staff will get 25% of their salary in shares, currently worth nearly £15,000 each, this summer.

And they’ll pocket another 75% of their salary in shares next summer, worth a whacking £35,000 at today’s prices.

Sports Direct’s fortunes are in sharp contrast to ailing rival JJB which has struggled to survive.

Chief executive Dave Forsey said: “We remain postive about the group’s outlook and are excited about the summer ahead, with the Diamond Jubilee, Euro 2012 and the Olympics.”

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can see why you posted it so it isn't a dig just an observation but Sports Direct may as well be owned by Bill Gates the relevance it has to Newcastle in terms of finances.

A happy owner can only be good

Maybe he'll sanction a worldy?

;)

According to who? Let's be honest, that sounds like nonsense.

Sports Direct adverts take up about 90% of the fixed hoarding in the stadium; we're supposed to believe that nobody wants to advertise in any of those positions?

Righto. :lol:

Why can't we just get those rotating boards?? :dave:

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's like the anti Lerner

I would be interested to hear Brummies opinion on Lerner v Ashley

Ashleys stock is steadily rising whilst Lerners (tattoo and all) is on the wain

Guest VaVaVoom

Mike Ashley has certainly turned a corner with us, Signing Cisse in January suggested as much, as did not losing any of our key players and signing two of our most important players to new long term deals.

Just a few things more recently that has shown he is doing whats best for the club. Its been a rough and frustrating time but we actually seem to be going in the right direction, not just that but with real purpose and ambition.

Financially we are very solid, almost profitable, whilst still sanctioning 5-10mil middle range deals (Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse) all this without european football money!

Obviously CL will be best all round for us next season with an approximate 20-25mil rake for being in the competition next season plus TV rights and added other income which comes with it, we would also be able to attract much better talent whilst keeping our own blue chip players.

EL wouldnt be sniffed at either, it doesnt bring anywhere near as much financially as the CL but 6-10mil more whilst being back on the european stage and having a genuine chance at winning it is something we never thought we'd be doing or even thinking about 2 years ago when we were languishing in the Championship.

Then, we were at an all time low, Ashley was the devil, it was all doom and gloom with no light at the end of the tunnel...How times change!

Ashley has took gambles, but they seem to be paying off. Pardew has been a revelation and is becoming a manager to be respected and admired. Graham Carr has been fantastic and plays a massive role in how our squad progresses. Letting Carroll, Enrique, Nolan and Barton go now looks like very shrewed business as ALL of them have been poor since moving on...KARMA?

Everything happens for a reason, Going down was the best thing to happen to us, pressing the reset button if you like, re-booting and re-configuring our set up and re-alligning our expectations and goals.

Now we have a much trimmed wage bill, a squad consisting of talent, grit and comradery who WANT to play for this club and take us forward and they are.

Relegation to possible CL qualification in 3 years. Mike Ashley deserves massive credit imho.

Fwiw i dont think KK or CH could have got us into this position.

The ONLY thing i still hold against him is the Stadium name change, i dont agree with it, it is morally wrong and i actually think should we have the added income of CL next season we could see it changed back. Also having his brand plastered all over the stadium could well change too. Being in the CL means a lot more sponsorship from big big companies. The likes of Sony and Ford are regularly seen at CL games.

I'd even be partial to Sony @ St James Park.

All in all MA has done wrong, made mistakes but i now feel the good FAR outweighs the bad. Im enjoying being a toon fan, proud of our team and how the club is doing financially.

This could well be the start of us becoming a real force.

Guest Wally_McFool

Ban Llambias from talking to the press.

He tends to cause more trouble than anyone else when he opens his gob to the media.

Ashley doesn't want to communicate with the fans , fair enough, thats his perogative but in my view he should consider getting

someone in to do PR with the fans so as to avoid anymore of the past shitstorms that usually occur when Derek starts spouting off.

That said, fair play to Ashley for seemingly turning things around though. Long may it continue!

Ban Llambias from talking to the press.

He tends to cause more trouble than anyone else when he opens his gob to the media.

Ashley doesn't want to communicate with the fans , fair enough, thats his perogative but in my view he should consider getting

someone in to do PR with the fans so as to avoid anymore of the past shitstorms that usually occur when Derek starts spouting off.

That said, fair play to Ashley for seemingly turning things around though. Long may it continue!

In fairness to Dekka mate just about everything he's said publicly of late, either in the programme or the press has been pretty honest and spot on, although I have no doubt it was already scripted by the PR person who's appointment you advocate.

Ashley is the shareholder and therefore calls the final shots, but Llambias as day to day boss of the business, has to take credit for his role in the club's progress too.

Only the unspent excess turnover and not put towards the self-incurred debt of Mike Ashley. Not much to ask. Most of the debt he's paying off now is to do with the stadium mortgage which was payable upon purchase of the club. He's done a great job with the finances, don't get me wrong, but he's definitely not putting everything he could into the club that it's generating, far from it. Whether it be players or investment in commercialization of our brand.

Can you point me to the page in the club's accounts where this is noted?

Nope because it isn't listed, it's only listed as extra debt to Mike Ashley.

Freddy Shepherd

“The only reason he had to pay a large portion of the debt was the cost of the stadium. But if you look at today’s prices, it was a great deal to build and expand St James’s Park when we did.

“When he took over, what he didn’t realise was that he had to pay off the mortgage (on the stadium). If the Halls lost control, the money had to be repaid immediately. I think he had to pay around £57m. The debt was basically securitisation on the land. And what a great deal it was when you think about it. To build that stadium now would cost £450m.”

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Newcastle%20United

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SLi50gnPNF8/T2hAsQvydHI/AAAAAAAAFdE/QPkXHT1rLxM/s400/26%2BNewcastle%2BDebt.jpg

Net debt fell last season from £150 million to £130 million, comprising a £140 million loan from Mike Ashley less £10 million cash balances. Since Ashley arrived, the gross debt has significantly increased from £77 million in 2007, though he also had to clear the mortgage on the ground. Importantly, the club now has no external debt (it had a £36 million overdraft as recently as 2009), which not only provides more stability, but has also saved considerable sums in interest payments.

That's about as much as you're going to find from direct sources.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What can he do? Its not his stadium. Its not his fixture. They can press Wigan for more, but end of the day its down to Wigan.

What can he do? Its not his stadium. Its not his fixture. They can press Wigan for more, but end of the day its down to Wigan.

The article in question is talking about all the other games this season.

Where we've not taken as many tickets as we could. We've taken the bare minimum to games. The start of the article talks about how 4500 is far too much to complain about anyway.

Read the article Chris ;)

Guest VaVaVoom

:lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm not clicking your links. There'll be a catch somewhere, more than likely you're on commission to help fund your hamster addiction.