Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Streaming live games seems to be where its heading so it wouldn't surprise me if the TV companies start offering these kind of deals. I imagine it would just further swell the coffers of the clubs as they take a cut from each subscription. Could generate huge cash.

Guest reefatoon

The money is insane given that it's driving down the standard so much. At least half the league is so scared of losing it that they're totally unwatchable.

Totally agree. I can't remember when I actually sat and watched a match that Newcastle were not involved in for that exact reason.  Football now is all about trying not to get beat instead of going out to win, which just ends up producing the dullest football imaginable.

Guest antz1uk

this is actually the way TV in general has been heading for a few years now, Netflix, Amazon, all the iPlayers etc, it won't be long until we are just clicking what we want to watch and when. Sport will be included in this and will be the prized assett

Guest alijmitchell

Had a discussion with a friend the other day about TV ruining football. If there was a campaign promoted whereby people actively stopped their subscriptions and gave their extra cash to watch their local team, do you think people would start to get behind it? Obviously wouldn't make much of a difference to global audiences, but within this country maybe. It just seems like people's enjoyment of football has decreased in line with the TV exposure. Local teams could help by matching the 'difference' in cost (so a ticket is whatever extra it is per month for a subscription).

One day you'll probably be able to buy a season subscription on Sky for all your clubs' games.

I want that now TBH.

I don't think it would affect attendances that much, but obviously it would further reduce the importance of match-going fans in terms of finance.

Don't really see how that would benefit anything. Apart from the armchair fan that isn't really that bothered...

People who can't get to all the games I assume. The NBA etc already have it.

Given the new prem money deal is going to be worth almost 4.5 billion you have to worry that Ashley might stick around. Irrespective of whether the football is dross and the atmosphere is non-existant, the stands are full (especially for tv cameras) so job done really. The sack pardew campaign and banning press bollocks shows that this is someone definitely DOES give a s*** what people say when it's on a large scale.

But as long as the stands are full and the money keeps rolling in I just can't see anything changing for a few more years.

Yes, and the problem with this scenario is that long-term and maybe permanent damage is being done to the club's support base. We have all heard the tales about youngsters who no longer want to support the club but are more interested in following the likes of Chelsea, Man C, Man U, Arsenal etc because they are perceived as both better and more successful.

The longer Ashley is at the club, the more this will become a problem until it is to late.

It was the same when we were kids, Liverpool fans, Everton fans, spurs fans. 

That always happens.  They are now on my facebook as Newcastle fans.

Its much worse now...how many local kids wanted to follow Liverpool etc 20 years ago...? Nowhere near as many as now and there are no signs of anything changing at NUFC.

One day you'll probably be able to buy a season subscription on Sky for all your clubs' games.

I want that now TBH.

I don't think it would affect attendances that much, but obviously it would further reduce the importance of match-going fans in terms of finance.

It's more the potential effect it would have on lower league attendances IIRC, especially Saturday 3pm kick offs.

I want that now TBH.

Don't really see how that would benefit anything. Apart from the armchair fan that isn't really that bothered...

People who can't get to all the games I assume. The NBA etc already have it.

I pay for NFL Sunday ticket every year, as I live in Calgary and my NFL team is Miami. It cost $50 a month for the ridiculously short regular NFL season of 4 months, so comes out at around $200. They have blackouts to protect attendances for local games I believe.

So top level football becomes even more removed from reality. Have been considering binning Sky for a while and this may clinch it.

It's becoming like the polar opposite to what the German game has from what I can tell...

I too am likely to remove Sky TV.