Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

All the same, to pretend there's a separation between a financially healthy club and a successful one is silly.

Long term, if we're making a profit and competing, we're going to get better.

Exactly, the argument about 'supporting a balance sheet' is a waste of time, we're discussing transfer policy which is inherently about money.

Not really. If our only hope for some much needed investment in our squad (if we want to challenge for Europe, which should be our level of ambition) is Ashley may fear his investment will suffer from relegation at the midway point of the season I think we're going about this the wrong way. Again, this is a football club, not a sportswear store.

it's a football club that is also, like it or not, a company that has to survive financially.

How many football clubs you know have little or no debts and regularly post a profit?

I think the main reason we'll buy now is because of the new TV deal that starts next season.

Exactly.

The threat of missing out next year is the thing that's prompting him now. He's got no affection for the club (nor should he have) but he's damned if he's missing out on the filthy lucre next season. He's protecting his investment and no more. 

The best money he could spend this window would be on compo for a proper manager though. Get this clown out of the door and find someone who knows how to manage a football team. Got little faith in them picking the right one unfortunately though.

Guest neesy111

All the same, to pretend there's a separation between a financially healthy club and a successful one is silly.

Exactly, the argument about 'supporting a balance sheet' is a waste of time, we're discussing transfer policy which is inherently about money.

Not really. If our only hope for some much needed investment in our squad (if we want to challenge for Europe, which should be our level of ambition) is Ashley may fear his investment will suffer from relegation at the midway point of the season I think we're going about this the wrong way. Again, this is a football club, not a sportswear store.

it's a football club that is also, like it or not, a company that has to survive financially.

Clubs have to show some ambition as well.

To suggest Mike Ashley doesn't care if we're at the bottom of the table as long as we stay up is really daft too. As is often pointed out, he has a lot of money invested in the club. If we hover around the drop zone all the time, he's going to have a rather stressful time of it. It's just as stupid to separate Ashley's desire to make money from his desire to see the club succeed as it is to separate making a profit from success. If Mike Ashley's club succeeds, he ends up making his money back and generally having a much nice time of it. He wants to succeed in business and right now that means wants the club to do well. He's got plenty of motivation for wanting to see us climb the league, clearly, just as he wants Sports Direct to do well, and any other company he's involved in.

In the summer they made a gamble that investing about £3m in the squad would be enough. If we stay up, the gamble pays off. Champagne bottles pop, Pardew gets a pat on the back and we move forward to next season. Hopefully they'll have learnt something from it.

http://www.nufcfansutd.com/1/post/2013/01/minutes-from-140113.html

Steve Wraith's group met with Wendy Taylor earlier this week. Makes interesting reading and the appointment of a fan liaison officer chimes with what was announced during the Wonga deal.

Some encouraging comments, particularly on safe standing. FYI you can follow the new fan liaison officer on Twitter - @LeeMarshall9

PR guff.

:cheesy:

How many football clubs you know have little or no debts and regularly post a profit?

regularly ? 2 years isn't it, through this sort of stewardship after a few years of hefty debts. look at the way other clubs have had to change their tack, look at villa, look at everton how long they went without a purchase for example

because we are so focussed on one club we think what happens here is unique (some things are mind, the colo saga for example could only happen here!)

Steve Wraith's group met with Wendy Taylor earlier this week. Makes interesting reading and the appointment of a fan liaison officer chimes with what was announced during the Wonga deal.

Some encouraging comments, particularly on safe standing. FYI you can follow the new fan liaison officer on Twitter - @LeeMarshall9

PR guff.

You sound cynical. Was it the job title PR and supporter liaison manager that gave it away? :lol:

After the wall of silence that has been erected since the Keegan fallout it's just nice to see there's a line into the club again. Whether anything positive comes of this we'll only find out with time but it's a start.

To suggest Mike Ashley doesn't care if we're at the bottom of the table as long as we stay up is really daft too. As is often pointed out, he has a lot of money invested in the club. If we hover around the drop zone all the time, he's going to have a rather stressful time of it. It's just as stupid to separate Ashley's desire to make money from his desire to see the club succeed as it is to separate making a profit from success. If Mike Ashley's club succeeds, he ends up making his money back and generally having a much nice time of it. He wants to succeed in business and right now that means wants the club to do well. He's got plenty of motivation for wanting to see us climb the league, clearly, just as he wants Sports Direct to do well, and any other company he's involved in.

In the summer they made a gamble that investing about £3m in the squad would be enough. If we stay up, the gamble pays off. Champagne bottles pop, Pardew gets a pat on the back and we move forward to next season. Hopefully they'll have learnt something from it.

so you think there was no truth or intent in the debuchy, de jong and douglas bids ?

By the end of Jan we'll see what's really what. After the bunlged summer and what with our relegation worries, this window is crucial. I understand their transfer policy and wage structure - but ocassionally you have to be counter intuitive just to be sure you have done all you can.

I understand it too, it's the lack of flexibility to the detriment of the team on the pitch that annoys me. As long as we stay up I don't think Ashley will care a jot that we've been down the bottom of the table all season.

By the way I distinctly remember a general consensus on here at the end of the season that the summer would tell us exactly what we needed to know about the ambition. Now it's 'let's see what gets done in the next 15 days' and I'm 100% convinced that next summer will be pointed at in the same way.

I know mate, the pain is so great we keep extending the deadline and re-writing the history. :lol: But, if we get relegated and don't buy a striker of quality then that will be a full stop on that caper.

Guest neesy111

PR guff.

You sound cynical. Was it the job title PR and supporter liaison manager that gave it away? :lol:

After the wall of silence that has been erected since the Keegan fallout it's just nice to see there's a line into the club again. Whether anything positive comes of this we'll only find out with time but it's a start.

It's been like this at NUFC for decades tbh, not just with Ashley.

The biggest mistake Ashley has made to this point has been in appointing a very successful talent scout who has different criteria to the team manager. One or the other has to go at some point. I just hope we don't get relegated while trying to figure out which one.

By the end of Jan we'll see what's really what. After the bunlged summer and what with our relegation worries, this window is crucial. I understand their transfer policy and wage structure - but ocassionally you have to be counter intuitive just to be sure you have done all you can.

I understand it too, it's the lack of flexibility to the detriment of the team on the pitch that annoys me. As long as we stay up I don't think Ashley will care a jot that we've been down the bottom of the table all season.

By the way I distinctly remember a general consensus on here at the end of the season that the summer would tell us exactly what we needed to know about the ambition. Now it's 'let's see what gets done in the next 15 days' and I'm 100% convinced that next summer will be pointed at in the same way.

It's the same people saying lets wait and see who defended the transfer window in the summer.  I said it at the time it was a disgrace and we went backwards and we bloody have.

You were right, we should have strengthened more in that window.

The biggest mistake Ashley has made to this point has been in appointing a very successful talent scout who has different criteria to the team manager. One or the other has to go at some point. I just hope we don't get relegated while trying to figure out which one.

Pretty ironic that the players we're getting in now would have probably been perfect for Keegan. :lol:

He can't work in those conditions though...

Guest neesy111

It's the same people saying lets wait and see who defended the transfer window in the summer.  I said it at the time it was a disgrace and we went backwards and we bloody have.

You were right, we should have strengthened more in that window.

:okay:

I know mate, the pain is so great we keep extending the deadline and re-writing the history. :lol: But, if we get relegated and don't buy a striker of quality then that will be a full stop on that caper.

You constantly reassess though don't you? That's normal. Nobody is extending any deadline, we're just reacting to where we find ourselves.

so you think there was no truth or intent in the debuchy, de jong and douglas bids ?

At some point you have to step back and acknowledge that intent isn't enough. We have to actually do these deals, even if it costs a little bit more than we'd like. When you spend as much time identifying and monitoring players as we do, to then not get them isn't good enough because you've wasted all your time and resources and there's nobody else. The whole point of doing what we do is to ensure the player is a success, so to then miss out goes beyond a minor inconvenience in my opinion. Especially when the team and squad weaknesses are so vivid.

As a direct result of failing to go the extra mile and get players such as those you mention, we're currently teetering on the precipice that is relegation from the Premier League. If we don't bring in the kind of talent and depth that you point out we evidently wanted in the summer to fill gaping holes and are subsequently relegated, will you be content in the knowledge that the intent was there?

At some point you have to step back and acknowledge that intent isn't enough. We have to actually do these deals, even if it costs a little bit more than we'd like. When you spend as much time identifying and monitoring players as we do, to then not get them isn't good enough because you've wasted all your time and resources and there's nobody else. The whole point of doing what we do is to ensure the player is a success, so to then miss out goes beyond a minor inconvenience in my opinion. Especially when the team and squad weaknesses are so vivid.

As a direct result of failing to go the extra mile and get players such as those you mention, we're currently teetering on the precipice that is relegation from the Premier League. If we don't bring in the kind of talent and depth that you point out we evidently wanted in the summer to fill gaping holes and are subsequently relegated, will you be content in the knowledge that the intent was there?

while i kind of agree with what you are saying i was really just trying to clarify what you said about the 3mill last summer. it was almost as if you were trying to make out that we had decided that was all we were prepare to spend.

it can be argued that the club have been too cautious (i'm not going to say anything about individual deals as we just don't have a clue about the fees, terms etc) but they do appear to have been slow to the back up b ut i think they thought the squad was good enough to buy a bit of time to get the 'right' deals and I still think we have and it's through the manager that we have played nowhere near our potential.

now, on the pardew point, i don't blame him trying to get ba and cisse playing up front together, two scoroers like thta, if they hit it off would be fantastic. i don't blame him for sticking with it after a few weeks when you could see it wasn't working, sometimes these things need to be ground in before they work. i do blame him for sticking with it beyond mid-october.

(caveat, when i say i don't blame him i don't mean it's what i would have done)

I genuinely don't think there's anything Machiavellian going on, just think they get as much "joy" out of balancing the books as they do seeing us perform well. I'd even go so far as to say that whatever joy they do get out of us performing well is probably in-part due to how much better we'll be financially as a result.

I don't think any money is disappearing or anything, and I never have done.

If it's disappearing, it will only be to reduce the debt to Ashley.

Just on the earlier subject of luck btw, where we definitely got very lucky last season was that Chelsea and Liverpool had unbelievably bad seasons by their own standards. Chelsea were always going to spend stupid money and go through managers for fun in order to rectify that, but we still had that over them for one summer. More importantly we had a golden chance to show that we had just as much promise and ambition as Liverpool and Everton to compete with Spurs and Arsenal and yet all of those clubs are already out of sight.

the last two lines: that is what haunts me the most. We were so close. 2-3 quality signings in the summer and this season would have been very different. There wouldn´t have been any panic now and we would probably be up there again!

Feels like we have to start all over even though only Ba has left (and soon colo i guess). Our key players will leave if serious ambitions aren´t shown from now on....not in the summer NOW!!

#nufchour

An idea was put forward for an hour-long Q&A session on Twitter, #nufchour, during which fans can ask questions about Newcastle United (more ticketing, safety, Foundation than transfers and tactics) and they will be answered by the club.

This has now been included in a new Supporter Liaison plan which will be completed shortly.

I don't envy whoever will have to sift through the 'questions'. :lol:

I don't think £3m is all we were prepared to spend last summer necessarily, but if we'd somehow fluked out and managed to spend £10m, £15m, £20m or whatever, I think we'd have moved heaven and Earth to then shift one of our more valuable assets to compensate.  I'm basing that on years of us spending fuck-all in net terms.

#nufchour

An idea was put forward for an hour-long Q&A session on Twitter, #nufchour, during which fans can ask questions about Newcastle United (more ticketing, safety, Foundation than transfers and tactics) and they will be answered by the club.

This has now been included in a new Supporter Liaison plan which will be completed shortly.

:lol:

Definitely a job for the intern

#nufchour

As long as they're not trying to flog tat from the club shop I'll be happy. It genuinely infuriates me how poorly our social media presence is utilised.

Guest neesy111

#nufchour

As long as they're not trying to flog tat from the club shop I'll be happy. It genuinely infuriates me how poorly our social media presence is utilised.

I don't even take notice of the club's tweets now because of the spam from the club shop.  Would like to know if other clubs do that from their official accounts? ???