Wolves 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 01/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 46

Disco

Blackburn goal was more a comedy of errors combined with individual quality on Hoilett's part IMO.

What? You mean that more than one player can be at fault for a goal!?

Yeah I know, it's this revolutionary new idea that I'm pushing, I know it's crazy but I think it's got legs.

What sorcery is this?

Guest bimpy474

Its not about being in two places at once, its picking the right time to go forward, this is where intelligence as a footballer comes in, and both him and Obertan much more tbf to Simpson, show a lack of it, i think he can turn out to be a very good player, but he must learn from mistakes, but you are right he isn't helped by having Obertan in front of him, but also he was making these mistakes when Barton was in front of him too.

Simpson is damned if he does go forward and damned if he doesn't.  If he's going to make a 50 yard run then he's not going to be able to be able to turn around and run another 50 yards to get back.  Our left side have been the best at covering each other for a while.  Jonas, Enrique and Coloccini were always good at helping eack other out and playing as a unit.  We still see this to some degree this season with Ryan Taylor being helped out by Jonas and Coloccini.  We rarely see this on our right side and this isn't down to one player.

The biggest problem I have with Simpson is his backing off and I can understand that a little because it will have been coached into him.  I've been coached by professional footballers, one who played in and won a world cup as a defender and I was told never to dive in, Simpson takes that a little too far.

Your right staying on your feet doesn't mean back off, tiote does it really well, he stays on his feet but wins the ball without backing off, he did it a couple of times in the right back position Saturday, covering Simpson as it happens.

The backing off thing is wierd, if you are going to back off fine, but he backs off the wrong side for the player, showing players inside knowing he is showing them onto their better foot, ex - Hammill and Lennon, that for me is lacking a football brain, like you say having been coached, like staying on your feet, as a full back its show them onto their weaker foot, especially if its away from the goal.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Why?

Try it and see how effective you are.

Running for 100 yards. I've tried it plenty of times.

Blackburn goal was more a comedy of errors combined with individual quality on Hoilett's part IMO.

Yeah I know, it's this revolutionary new idea that I'm pushing, I know it's crazy but I think it's got legs.

What sorcery is this?

He's a witch, burn him!  :frantic:

What sorcery is this?

He's a witch, burn him!  :frantic:

They dressed me up like this! And this isn't my nose, it's a false one.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Why?

After about 60 mins of high tempo football, sprinting 50 yards leaves you a bit knackered on the way back like.

It does I agree. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though. If the opposition score a goal from it, you can't say "ah yes but if I'd have ran back, I'd have been knackered."

Why?

You'll not travel as fast as the ball which can be back where you started from before you've turned around.

It does I agree. Still doesn't mean you should do it though. If the opposition score a goal from it, you can't say "ah yes but if I'd have ran back, I'd have been knackered."

Simpson does run back and he will be knackered.

Why?

After about 60 mins of high tempo football, sprinting 50 yards leaves you a bit knackered on the way back like.

It does I agree. Still doesn't mean you should do it though. If the opposition score a goal from it, you can't say "ah yes but if I'd have ran back, I'd have been knackered."

End of the day he's a professional athlete who's getting paid very well to do a job. The least he can do is bust his arse for 90 minutes.

End of the day he's a professional athlete who's getting paid very well to do a job. The least he can do is bust his arse for 90 minutes.

He does bust his arse for 90 minutes.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Why?

You'll not travel as fast as the ball which can be back where you started from before you've turned around.

That's not going to happen every time though is it? What if it takes 10 seconds for the ball to end up in the back of your net and you weren't there to stop it, just because you thought you probably wouldn't make it back in time? Effort and work rate is the bare minimum you should expect from a player.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Why?

Exactly it's that simple.

That's not going to happen every time though is it? What if it takes 10 seconds for the ball to end up in the back of your net and you weren't there to stop it, just because you thought you probably wouldn't make it back in time? Effort and work rate is the bare minimum you should expect from a player.

He does get back though, I think it's understandable that it's not as quick as when making his initial move forward.

Not sure I agree with that, tbh but maybe I have higher expectations?

Guest Rey Mysterio

That just simply isn't true. Either that or he is incredibly unfit.

Guest BooBoo

Mysterio, you're watching a different game. Simpson's ability is open to criticism but his effort levels and physical fitness are sound.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Mysterio, you're watching a different game. Simpson's ability is open to criticism but his effort levels and physical fitness are sound.

We must be mate, cos I end up shouting at him nearly every game for ambling back whilst sides attack us. I don't for one minute believe his fitness isn't up to scratch, I was merely offering a different reason as to why he does it because for me, not having the effort and willingness is unacceptable.

That just simply isn't true. Either that or he is incredibly unfit.

The only players at the club who have made more tackles than Simpson are Cabaye and Tiote, he must be doing something right.

Some of the scores for Simpson have been unfair, I saw him make at least 3 vital interceptions / tackles yesterday which would have led to goals.

How do you know they would have led to goals?

Simpson himself was to blame for the goal, btw. He was bloody terrible from the first whistle.

No more so than Taylor who lost his man and got caught under the ball leaving their guy with the unchallenged header.

I swear the more talk about Simpson on this forum, the worse he gets.

People will be putting 'Perch' in at RB in lineups in about a month's time at this rate.

Very much so. In the meantime Marveaux has escalated in to Rivelino as he's not been in the team.