Class support thread

Village Idiot

Guest icemanblue

Asia and USA will never have the power in the sport of football that Europe and South America has, because they have never had, and will never have the footballing culture.

Exactly.

Guest sydneycove

Asia and USA will never have the power in the sport of football that Europe and South America has, because they have never had, and will never have the footballing culture.

Exactly.

Which is why the very young J-League is already starting to creep up on the average crowds in Italy and Spain then right? No football culture my arse.

Guest icemanblue

Exactly.

Which is why the very young J-League is already starting to creep up on the average crowds in Italy and Spain then right? No football culture my arse.

Nothing to do with attendances, mate. I was agreeing with Ali when he said that they'll never have the power. You can add history and tradition to that, as well.

Guest sydneycove

Exactly.

Nothing to do with attendances, mate. I was agreeing with Ali when he said that they'll never have the power. You can add history and tradition to that, as well.

Really? So every team in Europe started out with history and tradition when they were formed then. Fuck somebody could have informed us about this magic!

With the majority of the worlds population in Asia there is no way they can not end up with the power. They already took a spot off the Europeans in 06 and CONCAF are going to be taking another one for 2014 off either the Europeans or the South Americans and all this for continents that have no history of the sport and a smaller fan base. Just think for a minute about what is going to happen when the fan base inevitably grows in both regions.

Exactly.

Really? So every team in Europe started out with history and tradition when they were formed then. Fuck somebody could have informed us about this magic!

With the majority of the worlds population in Asia there is no way they can not end up with the power. They already took a spot off the Europeans in 06 and CONCAF are going to be taking another one for 2014 off either the Europeans or the South Americans and all this for continents that have no history of the sport and a smaller fan base. Just think for a minute about what is going to happen when the fan base inevitably grows in both regions.

Completely agree.

24,000 people at Juventus v Milan on Sunday...

This is so fucking ridiculous, sydneycove, I' sorry but you'll never live till the day your argument actually comes true. Also I find it hilarious talking about the J-League, Chinese League and the South Korean league when clearly their best players are all South American. Europe and South America will stay as the strongest footballing continents for another 50+ years no matter what you think, not arguing that football as a sport won't grow in the US and China but they're not going to become a stronger footballing nations than England, Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal and Germany. Tradition and culture is too big and however, PASSION, the passion for football in these nations is greater than it will ever be in the US or so.

Find it also funny you seem to think they'll take a spot off the South American who thinks it deserves an extra spot. Teams like Venezuela and Peru are growing as football nations and with already established nations such as Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina, would also add Paraguay to that and possibly Colombia there is no way in hell FIFA will find a logical reason to take a spot away from the CONMEBOL. In 2022 we will see an extra Asian nation due to the WC being play in Qatar, other than that theres no way in hell.

Guest sydneycove

you have failed to disprove a single fact I have put forward in this thread about Asian and American football outgrowing Europe. You keep falling back to the "you have no tradition or culture or passion" whilst failing to recognise that where Asia and America is now is better off than football was when it was 10 - 20 years old in South America and Europe. You have failed to acknowledge the fact that money is moving towards Asia and American football. Just look at Dario Conca or where all the big teams in Europe travel for pre season. Why would they be able to make so much money out of these tours and continually do them to bigger crowds each year if football wasn't growing in the regions. You have failed to acknoledge the talent coming out of the countries and people have made ridiculous statements about how America only produce class goal keepers. I am still waiting for anybody to disprove the fact that Asian nations and America are improving. The old soccer of Europe and South America is struggling for money as it is and the big spenders are either backed by Asian (in FIFA terms) or American investors or in the case of Real and Barca the national banks of Spain. Again people in Europe and South America want to tell us we have no passion or history yet ignore the fact that the sport is only new in the area. You only have to look at the way of business over the last 100 years. Who are the superpowers in finance - America, China, Japan and the Middle East. Asian and American football as determined by FIFA.

Finance Superpowers + Future = America, China, Japan and the Middle East ? ? ?

Where is the three other members of the BRIC. Brazil, India and Russia? With their economic growth rate potential and also Russia and Brazilian football being in a more advanced state is surely means they'll be even better in 50+ years time? Talking about money struggling in football in South America is another show of lack of knowledge. Money is the reason for Brazil retaining its best young players in Neymar, Ganso etc. Its also the reason why players are coming back and why they are earning more than top players in Europe. Look at Ronaldinho as a prime example, might be passed it but had still a more to give in European football, he was involved in 45% of Milans goals in his last season and now at Flamengo he has almost doubled his salary from Milan. Liedson has come back and has also gotten a bigger paycheck, Elano and Luis Fabiano have lowered theres with couple of thousands but don't forget they had huge salaries playing for Sevilla and Elano for City and Galatasaray. Domestic Brazilian football is becoming one of the richest in the world and while not being able to predict how much more it can grow or how much more it will grow, you cannot deny the fact that its potential is huge and probably in footballing terms much larger than Chinese or American football.

Also no one is denying the fact that the US is improving but not at the rate you think it is, and Asian football certainly hasn't improved that much in the last 10 years, especially considering (although you could argue how they got there) Korea played a Semi-final in the WC only 9 years ago and yet after another 2 attempts haven't come near that.

South American football on the other hand has improved with a greater rate than Asian and American football yet its a continent with around 12 countries (where as two of them don't have a serious national team). Venezuela was 10 years ago a joke in international football and same goes for possibly Peru. Nowadays they are competing at a relatively high standard against good competitions.

Guest sydneycove

My laptop keeps f***ing up the essay I keep writing but jist of it is Asian teams have been improving in the World Cup (Japan, South Korea and Australia) and the U20 World Cup (Japan, Saudi Arabia, UAE) impressive considering the fact that Asian players are generally smaller than other areas and physical sides do better at an U20 level.

Also in reply to you saying the best Asian players are generally South American not a single South American has ever won an Asian player of the year award (the big Og Monster won the last one  :smitten: )

Guest sydneycove

U20, U17 level is full of s***. 80% of the players don't make it into the main national team anyways.

Right........ that statement is just full of failure. I would put money down that the majority of the Brasil national team has played at some form of youth World Cup.

U20, U17 level is full of s***. 80% of the players don't make it into the main national team anyways.

Right........ that statement is just full of failure. I would put money down that the majority of the Brasil national team has played at some form of youth World Cup.

Definitely, but I was arguing that 80% of ONE team don't make it to the main national team. If you understand what I mean, they might have played but not all together in the sub national teams, meaning that a team who wins the WC for U-20 might have 3 guys promoted to the national team or so.

Guest sydneycove

Definitely, but I was arguing that 80% of ONE team don't make it to the main national team. If you understand what I mean, they might have played but not all together in the sub national teams, meaning that a team who wins the WC for U-20 might have 3 guys promoted to the national team or so.

Have a look at the 2003 U20 WC Brazil team. Quite a few from there went on to have very good internartional careers.

I agree with Felipao91, you can't compensate more than 100 years of football tradition in Europe and South America in only around 10-or 20 years. Especially with franchise football club which are founded not because love to football, only for making money.

I dunno, Americans make pretty pictures and videos with all their attempts at copying football culture of their South American counterparts/Europe, but to me it seems so cheesy and fake. Not to mention that accent just makes it worse.

I rest my case.

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Is nobody else in stitches at this?

lol but seriously if the US cared at all about it we'd dominate SOCCER (and make everyone else call it that) within 10 years. 

http://i.imgur.com/eAxBM.jpg

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

I dunno, Americans make pretty pictures and videos with all their attempts at copying football culture of their South American counterparts/Europe, but to me it seems so cheesy and fake. Not to mention that accent just makes it worse.

I rest my case.

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Is nobody else in stitches at this?

The guy with the mic is taking the piss in some ironic hipster way, surely?

lol but seriously if the US cared at all about it we'd dominate SOCCER (and make everyone else call it that) within 10 years. 

You know thats not really true though ;)

You know thats not really true though ;)

Sure it is.  Not that I really want to be all "USA #1!!!!!" but athletically there's not another nation that compares.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_table for example.  My god that's embarassing.  Should we care to, it wouldn't take more than a generation for us to dominate the sport. 

I know everyone wants to paint any kind of endorsement of the US (or any non-traditional footballing powerhouse) as some kind of naivete or jingoism but frankly I find all this overly-romanticized prattling about footballing culture to be horseplop.  A "football culture" is just one where it's the dominant sport there's nothing mystical about it. 

Hey guys,

The whole "Will Asia or America ever be good at football" is a good topic and worthy of discussion. But...

This was a really good thread about class supporters from around the world that has gone off track. Could someone post some vids of German/Turkish/Japanese fans and get that vibe rolling again? And can the America/Asia football future discussion go somewhere else?

Thanks

:angel: