St James' Park

Dave

Decka wants £10m for stadium sponsorship per season

We have existing deal for £10m per season for our shirt sponsorship

Mid table Premiership clubs are now signing £20m per season shirt sponsorship deals.

We take an early exit out of our £10m per season shirt sponsorship, sell that deal bundled with stadium sponsorship deal (worth a total of £20m-£30m) for £8m.

Yeah f***ing right.

Has that actually been confirmed btw?  ???

It is actually 7.5 + add ons the Virgin deal.

what are the add onns?

Might as well have Wankah on the shirts.

I really won't believe it till I see it. As far as branding the club and pushing it into more blue chip territory to gain higher tier sponsorship in the future this would the equivalent of Armageddon.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I don't want our club associated with companies like this - glorified loan sharks that prey on low income/high debt individuals and families.

This will be a genuine disappointment IF true. Sports Direct is one thing, but Wonga?

Surely a football club should ethically choose a corporate partner that reflects the mindset of the club and it's general intentions, at least to a point. Surely they must understand that money should not be the sole driver as such a partnership immediately makes us a laughing stock once again.

Here's hoping it's not true

It could actually be argued that Sports Direct's business model is far more reprehensible than that of Wonga, involving exploitation of workers in chronic poverty but that doesn't stop people loading up on their cheap tracky b's.

Any connection between morality and football was broken some time ago, Wonga's dubious practices are just a little more transparent than some - take for example the Middle Eastern companies who are flooding stupid amounts of cash into the game these days - some of the human rights they trample on a daily basis are almost beyond belief.

The main problem I have is that we don't have a choice with Sports Direct due to it being the owner's company - therefore the club has no other option than to be associated with it - but that Newcastle United will be making a conscious decision to partner with a completely reprehensible outfit that preys on a particular demographic of our society.

Being completely honest with you, if they are our new sponsors then my season ticket ends this season

Guest Roger Kint

Mid table Premiership clubs are now signing £20m per season shirt sponsorship deals.

We take an early exit out of our £10m per season shirt sponsorship, sell that deal bundled with stadium sponsorship deal (worth a total of £20m-£30m) for £8m.

Yeah fucking right.

Who is the line under it on about as well? ???

Yeah fucking right.

Who is the line under it on about as well? ???

Mackems

Obviously have never heard of Wonga out here in America but based on what you all are saying, this could be some depressing news if they were to be our shirt sponsors and possibly stadium.

Have to think we are a much better brand than the prices being touted and the brand being named.

Shocking.

Guest jonlane86

Personally not believing this.

Why ditch Virgin at £10m a year, for Wonga at £8m including naming rights?

Apparently Wonga's net worth is only £46m, so I seriously doubt they'd have the finances to pay us anything near what Virgin were offering.  It just doesn't add up.

I think we're most likely in talks with someone else and the Telegraph are wide of the mark.

Or is it just a nicely timed article just before an important home game in an attempt to rock the boat?

This

Yeah f***ing right.

It is actually 7.5 + add ons the Virgin deal.

what are the add onns?

Euro and cup games. But it's def £7.5 basic not 10m.

Wonga DO NOT have the funds available to present a viable offer to sponsor the shirts & stadium.

(Not according to the kind of dough the club were making noises about trying to yield for naming rights etc). Furthermore,

If the club has genuine aspirations to compete at 'the top table' then this association would not fit the kind of model Ashley / Lambias are keen to promote. Though I have to admit, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could shit on them.

Wonga DO NOT have the funds available to present a viable offer to sponsor the shirts & stadium.

(Not according to the kind of WONGA the club were making noises about trying to yield for naming rights etc). Furthermore,

If the club has genuine aspirations to compete at 'the top table' then this association would not fit the kind of model Ashley / Lambias are keen to promote. Though I have to admit, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could shit on them.

FYP.

(Not according to the kind of WONGA the club were making noises about trying to yield for naming rights etc). Furthermore,

If the club has genuine aspirations to compete at 'the top table' then this association would not fit the kind of model Ashley / Lambias are keen to promote. Though I have to admit, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could s*** on them.

FYP.

:whistle: :whistle:

We've got posters who were involved in Virgin's deal with us, and now we've got posters who are privy to Wonga's advertising budgets.

Learn something new everyday...