Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I still don't get this. Virtually all of Hatem's best games come at RW. In the middle he's just not the same player, at all. Peter Beardsley he ain't, not on his best day.

I agree I've always thought he was best in that right hand pocket in a front 3. Seems to do most of his best damage from that position.

Want a big derby day game from him, he realistically could finish them off on his own. So lets fucking see it.

Hope Pardew plays him further up field than the respective fixture this time last year. He spent most of the game getting the ball on the edge of our box.

Guest Howaythetoon

I love Ben Arfa, he is easily in the top 10 of the world's most talented players and pisses all over most in this league when it comes to skill, flair etc. but he lacks the fortitude of mind to marry that talent and skills to something extra.

He will forever be a cult hero for whichever club he plays for but he will never be a club legend.

He is or will be for us more a Ketsbaia than a Beardsley, despite his outrageous talent.

I don't think he has the awareness to play through the middle - he runs into traffic and gives the ball away too much. He's much better out wide with the touchline on one side of him and just a full back to worry about.

Our movement is shocking when Ben Arfa has the ball, that was no different yesterday.  At one point he had the ball and 4 Liverpool players on him and he had nobody to pass to, he ended up losing it while looking for a pass which was never possible.

I honestly have no idea how to do that. I've been looking on this page for a few minutes for a button or something to do it.

The quick way around it is knowing the codes to put in, eg : troll : (without the spaces between the colons).

The longer way round is clicking 'reply' at the foot of the page, as opposed to using the Quick Reply function. There is where you can choose from all the smileys.

Ben Arfa as a false 9 or a centre-forward might not have worked yesterday, and I don't like the sound of it in theory, but if it encourages a more expansive game and a better team performance, it might be something that's worth trying again. He could grow into the role. I certainly prefer that option of persisting with Cisse (who barely even looks capable of playing in the division atm), or reverting to the simplistic idea of just throwing Shola in.

I would still really like to see Gouffran through the middle, mind. However I could see Pardew's thinking, given how useful Gouff's workrate can be, particularly in games like yesterday's.

I honestly have no idea how to do that. I've been looking on this page for a few minutes for a button or something to do it.

Remember when you posted this earlier in the year -

Fuck you Bimpy :(

or this in 2006 -

Straight to the point Happy Face, I like it  bluelaugh.gif

Yeah, same process :razz:

Remember when you posted this earlier in the year -

f*** you Bimpy :(

or this in 2006 -

Straight to the point Happy Face, I like it  bluelaugh.gif

Yeah, same process :razz:

I know the classic :) and :( that other one though, I'm obviously not the man I was back in 06.

Thanks for the non condescending reply Yorkie, unlike some....

Guest bimpy474

I see me in there and have no idea what this is about...:lol:

I have no idea either.

Glad i'm not alone then :lol:

Click the link.  :rolleyes:

Way to go Mr Fun bag, spoilt my ignorant fun then :(

:lol:

Having now watched the game, I didn't mind Ben Arfa in that role, actually. He linked up with Remy nicely once or twice, and he was a better 'target man' over-the-top than Cisse thanks to his pace. But he probably isn't instinctive enough in the box to make that role his own. I could see Pardew's thinking though, it was a much better switcheroo than the one against Everton.

I think the answer is fluidity personally. It was different when we had the 6-game-streak 4-3-3; Cisse was absolutely unstoppable and Ba took to the wide role very efficiently. With this triumvirate, though, rigidly sticking them in one position throughout the game will bring mixed results. However, I think we could chop and change it all game long - especially at home. It would be dangerous and unpredictable. Gouffran would still be the one who saw most of the game as CF, though, for me.