Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest hatem garrincha

@danlevy1: At one point he's talking to Wenger after game. Ben Arfa comes over. Ginola: "You did well." Wenger: "I was scared when you came on, Hatem."

If he is keen to move on it'll be interesting to see if there's any interest in him and what we could fetch for him.

Yeah I'd be really interested to see how much we could fetch for one of our most talented players.

If he is keen to move on it'll be interesting to see if there's any interest in him and what we could fetch for him.

Yeah I'd be really interested to see how much we could fetch for one of our most talented players.

More looking forward to seeing which graph is used to display the potential interest tbh

Probably about £5m ATM.

Clearly Pardew dosen't like a flair player.same at West Ham when he wouldn't play Tevez.mans a dinosaur.

That's what I was thinking about.  Will better managers see Ben Arfa as being in the Tevez/Mascherano position where Pardew is to blame for their wasting them?  Players who can play regularly in world class teams without question.  Or do the managers at top clubs envisage the same problems Pardew has with playing him week in and week out?

For the majority of his time under Pardew when he's been played week in and week out he's come up with the goods. The problem has always been when he's had little cameos here and there to come into no win situations.

He's not the player he thinks he is, nor many on here think he is.

He is, however, probably our best player, and to bench him for Shola bastardinguslesscunt Ameobi is a pisstake of the highest order. Bordering on negligence from the utter coward in the dugout.

Couldn't agree more.

He's not the player he thinks he is, nor many on here think he is.

He is, however, probably our best player, and to bench him for Shola bastardinguslesscunt Ameobi is a pisstake of the highest order. Bordering on negligence from the utter coward in the dugout.

Couldn't agree more.

with which bit?

For the majority of his time under Pardew when he's been played week in and week out he's come up with the goods. The problem has always been when he's had little cameos here and there to come into no win situations.

Of the 6 in a row he started at the beginning of the season he had maybe 2 good/brilliant games, so it's hit and miss.  He's had brilliant games where he's come on as a sub or started without a run of games as well.  Palace and Stoke recently.

If the whole team is not performing it's unfair to pin everything on him, so against the likes of Hull or Everton he shouldn't be made a scapegoat, even if his performance was one of the most lackluster or especially if he has been targeted effectively by the opposition to be stifled.

Dave is spot on.  The expectations on him are multiple times higher than any other player in our squad.  After 11 years of everyone saying Ameobi is shit, the only time anyone will raise an eyebrow at him is when he puts in a surprisingly energetic and effective performance.  These players set their own standards and are judged by those standards.  Ben Arfa's are clearly higher.

He is without a doubt the most exciting player at the club in a decade (or longer).  He warms my cockles whenever he's on the field because I know something could happen, no matter how quiet he might be I anticipate something happening.  I desperately crave those moments when he does something to render the moans about tracking back and passing as bunkum.

All that being true, Ben Arfa has not been indispensable to Newcastle United at any time he has been at the club. Whether by his own own failings or by Pardew's we have seen a system that the whole team are comfortable with that has put points on the board when he's not involved (uninspiring though performances may be) and we have struggled to find as consistent a system when he has been part of the team.

My idea of heaven would be if the pair of them could knock their heads together and integrate him better in a consistent team.  Unfortunately, if Pardew is incapable of managing that, whether by his own failings or Ben Arfa's, then there's no doubt who will be out of the door first.

To paraphrase The Sound of Music, How do you solve a problem like Ben Arfa?  There still seems to be no decision on whether he'll be best deployed left, right, behind the front man, given a free role, with a wing back overlapping or with a solid defender covering his back at all times etc. 

As it's not been a question Pardew has shown himself able to answer in 3 years, I do think it will be interesting to see which other managers fancy the challenge/pleasure, what they'll be willing to shell out for the opportunity...and whether Ben Arfa will then show the extent to which Pardew failed him (and us).

His kind of magic isn't on tap, it can't be turned on and off, it can't be called up at will, some days it won't be with him and at these times he will cut a forlorn figure. Like all gifted players they play and see another game and supporters note their passing and their names are etched on school rulers and like comets they shine brightly and then are gone.