Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest tollemache

You think there's no intention to replace Cabaye, just because nobody came in in the last 3 or 4 days of the January window?

You think there's no intention to replace Cabaye, just because nobody came in in the last 3 or 4 days of the January window?

Uh oh.

I think the chances are they probably knew they wouldn't be replacing him in January. They probably still popped a couple of daft offers in hope for a bargain but when other clubs stood firm. think they accepted they will wait till the summer for a better price. No doubt in my mind we'll bring a replacement in the summer though.

Guest neesy111

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStjnAKhdqZMQaf9QsXSRpqTfAoneOWGN_p-lDooJM31ohu2hbW

Uh oh.

I think the chances are they probably knew they wouldn't be replacing him in January. They probably still popped a couple of daft offers in hope for a bargain but when other clubs stood firm. think they accepted they will wait till the summer for a better price. No doubt in my mind we'll bring a replacement in the summer though.

:lol:

There isn't  :lol: Ashley has spent around 15-20 million each year on transfers and he spent nothing in Jan so can see him spending around that in the summer, possibly even a bit more if a fair few players leave. I think we might see a lot of change over the summer, that's more of a guess though :)

Uh oh.

There isn't  :lol: Ashley has spent around 15-20 million each year on transfers and he spent nothing in Jan so can see him spending around that in the summer, possibly even a bit more if a fair few players leave. I think we might see a lot of change over the summer, that's more of a guess though :)

I think we will buy a midfielder but whether he is going to be a direct replacement for Cabaye is a totally different thing

I'm not sure whether/why it's acceptable to go half a season without adequate cover in important positions, and when you consider that (especially foreign) players often take time to settle in it's going to be a very long term strategy indeed if we continue doing this.  We've already seen this situation a few times - waiting half a season while we got our shit together and/or wait for prices to go down, e.g. risking relegation in our first season back up by having Best/Ameobi/Lovenkrands/Kuqi as our forwards when Carroll left, or only buying Anita after we finished 5th when we most certainly needed more with a European campaign to contend with.

We move at a snail's pace when it comes to transfers and it often hamstrings the team, causing us to plod along rather than push on and do anything remotely meaningful.

Uh oh.

No, Ashley has made about 8.5m a season on transfers.  He's spent fuck all.

Uh oh.

Is that going to be the start of the 5 year plan Mk II?

Uh oh.

No, Ashley has made about 8.5m a season on transfers.  He's spent f*** all.

I never said anything in regards to profit made or lost. Simply made the point he's spent roughly that amount of money on incoming transfers each year.

Uh oh.

I never said anything in regards to profit made or lost. Simply made the point he's spent roughly that amount of money on incoming transfers each year.

2 years out of the last 5.

Uh oh.

Spent £9m in 2010

£19m in 2011

£18m in 2012

£16m in 2013

There's no reason we wont spend at least similar in 2014.

Not sure about the "few", but it'll depend what bargains can be had.

Basically what HP says here. I agree.

Guest tollemache

For me the question is not whether we'll buy, it's whether the replacements for YC and HBA can possibly be at their level for anything like the same money. We got pretty lucky with those two I think.

For me the question is not whether we'll buy, it's whether the replacements for YC and HBA can possibly be at their level for anything like the same money. We got pretty lucky with those two I think.

Well when a club sells their best player, they rarely get the same level of player. Safe to assume the replacement won't be as good but we have to try and build the team back up to the standard it was with Cabaye. When you lose your best player, it's never a quick fix, takes time to rebuild.

Guest tollemache

Would've been nice. Certainly you'd hope we did our business relatively quickly in the summer so we have a nice full preseason. Obviously doesn't always work out that way though, through nobody's fault in particular

Uh oh.

Spent £9m in 2010

£19m in 2011

£18m in 2012

£16m in 2013

There's no reason we wont spend at least similar in 2014.

Not sure about the "few", but it'll depend what bargains can be had.

Basically what HP says here. I agree.

Well who am I to argue with HF.  I was just going by the widely respected transferleague.co.uk.  I'll take your word for it Brett, you seem like a sound and not at all unhinged young man.

Would've been nice. Certainly you'd hope we did our business relatively quickly in the summer so we have a nice full preseason. Obviously doesn't always work out that way though, through nobody's fault in particular

Yeah, if we'd had some warning he was going to leave like a deal agreed for him to go in January or a big influx of cash like about £20m for one of our best players who knows what might have happened?

Yeah, if we'd had some warning he was going to leave like a deal agreed for him to go in January or a big influx of cash like about £20m for one of our best players who knows what might have happened?

Well when a club sells their best player, they rarely get the same level of player. Safe to assume the replacement won't be as good but we have to try and build the team back up to the standard it was with Cabaye. When you lose your best player, it's never a quick fix, takes time to rebuild.

Yes, rinse and repeat..

They'll buy a replacement and potentially buy some more players but they will flog them on again.  The team/club will not move foward as they are not arsed about building a team.  Its about making profit from players sales.