Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest tollemache

No transfer activity whatsoever isn't moderation in any sense man, I'd be surprised if you were keeping a straight face.

The best way I've summed up my position so far maybe, has been to post those lineups from September of the last 3 seasons in the AP thread. In each case, our squad has been discernibly stronger, i.e; we have, in some way or another, improved our personnel each year, whether the improvements have come in January or whatever. If by this September that hasn't happened again, and the 'how strong is our squad?' graph has levelled off or gone downhill, then I'll want to know why. I'm not interested in what we have or haven't done in the last X windows- are the players on the pitch at the start of each season better than they were at the start of the season before? The answer in the last few years has been 'yes'.

I fully expect some action over the summer. If it doesn't happen I'll be as p*ssed off as you. Well, nearly. You seem to get very p*ssed off.

Let's not speculate about what might or might not happen in the Summer. Look at the here and now - it's shite and you know it.

Also, your argument is absolutely invalid as the clubs in and around us have improved considerably in the same time frame whilst we lag behind. Finally, it's been a natural improvement due to the fact we were only promoted again in 09/10 season.

The here and now is that we've just sold our best player for loads of money and haven't replaced him yet. Obviously what we do in the next window is very relevant.

Yes it's a natural improvement but it's still an improvement (and I do think we've improved relative to other sides too, most definitely), and the question for me is will it continue? If yes: good. If no: bad.

Guest tollemache

I thought we were looking for long term improvement, slowly slowly catchy monkey kind of thing?  Short term band aids that need to be replaced and simply add to your squad problems when they leave doesn't seem to match that model.

Yes I'd rather have permanent signings, but you're talking as though loans don't really count or affect your team, or something. If you happen to sign a really good striker on loan, it means you're under no pressure to sign one permanently until the loan ends, so obviously you'll do less business during that time.

We all knew our best player was going to be sold, the ridiculous thing is that a replacement was not lined up months in advance, its unprofessional.

No transfer activity whatsoever isn't moderation in any sense man, I'd be surprised if you were keeping a straight face.

The best way I've summed up my position so far maybe, has been to post those lineups from September of the last 3 seasons in the AP thread. In each case, our squad has been discernibly stronger, i.e; we have, in some way or another, improved our personnel each year, whether the improvements have come in January or whatever. If by this September that hasn't happened again, and the 'how strong is our squad?' graph has levelled off or gone downhill, then I'll want to know why. I'm not interested in what we have or haven't done in the last X windows- are the players on the pitch at the start of each season better than they were at the start of the season before? The answer in the last few years has been 'yes'.

I fully expect some action over the summer. If it doesn't happen I'll be as p*ssed off as you. Well, nearly. You seem to get very p*ssed off.

Let's not speculate about what might or might not happen in the Summer. Look at the here and now - it's s**** and you know it.

Also, your argument is absolutely invalid as the clubs in and around us have improved considerably in the same time frame whilst we lag behind. Finally, it's been a natural improvement due to the fact we were only promoted again in 09/10 season.

The here and now is that we've just sold our best player for loads of money and haven't replaced him yet. Obviously what we do in the next window is very relevant.

Yes it's a natural improvement but it's still an improvement (and I do think we've improved relative to other sides too, most definitely), and the question for me is will it continue? If yes: good. If no: bad.

The last player we sold for loads of cash was Andy Carroll - how long did it take to replace him? I'd suggest we still haven't considering our current striking options.

Out of interest where do you think we'll finish this season?

I thought we were looking for long term improvement, slowly slowly catchy monkey kind of thing?  Short term band aids that need to be replaced and simply add to your squad problems when they leave doesn't seem to match that model.

Yes I'd rather have permanent signings, but you're talking as though loans don't really count or affect your team, or something. If you happen to sign a really good striker on loan, it means you're under no pressure to sign one permanently until the loan ends, so obviously you'll do less business during that time.

So what strikers will NUFC have come July 1st as things stand?

Let's not speculate about what might or might not happen in the Summer. Look at the here and now - it's s**** and you know it.

The last player we sold for loads of cash was Andy Carroll - how long did it take to replace him? I'd suggest we still haven't considering our current striking options.

Ashley already decided it doesn't matter when we didn't buy a replacement for Cabaye. Basically, the season ended at Christmas and if you paid for a season ticket tough shit.

Ashley already decided it doesn't matter when we didn't buy a replacement for Cabaye. Basically, the season ended at Christmas and if you paid for a season ticket tough s***.

That's the point I was getting towards. If he accepts the decision to wait until the Summer to sign someone then he is happy to have a terrible January-May results wise, something that I just can't fathom as a football fan.

Guest tollemache

Remy, Gouffran and de Jong aren't so bad I don't think? I'd love to keep them all and replace Shola to boot.

I think we'll finish in 8th or 9th.

Ashley already decided it doesn't matter when we didn't buy a replacement for Cabaye. Basically, the season ended at Christmas and if you paid for a season ticket tough s***.

That's the point I was getting towards. If he accepts the decision to wait until the Summer to sign someone then he is happy to have a terrible January-May results wise, something that I just can't fathom as a football fan.

I don't expect that will bother trollemache though, things tend to lose their focus when you are sitting in Croatia.

Remy, Gouffran and de Jong aren't so bad I don't think? I'd love to keep them all and replace Shola to boot.

Gouffran?

Guest tollemache

That's a whole other point, and an interesting one. Similar to resting players in unimportant games. From the point of view of wanting the club to do well, it's obviously best to save your resources. From the point of view of someone paying full price to watch, it's pretty shit. Very soon, our league games will start to practically become dead rubbers, like those meaningless games at the end of CL groups etc... 

Guest tollemache

Gouffran?

Yeah, he's as much a striker as he is a winger.

Gouffran?

Yeah, he's as much a striker as he is a winger.

And the other two aren't ours :lol:

Guest tollemache

But they play for us. And we might yet keep them. And if we don't, we'll replace them. You asked me about our striking options right now

A lot just seem so broken they can't see the good in anything anymore. Even if we have already surpassed their pre-season expectations.

True, I don't blame them really but it does make talking about things virtually impossible. There's a lot of negative things about the club but we've really talked ourselves into crazy levels of pessimism. Each to their own I suppose.

A lot just seem so broken they can't see the good in anything anymore. Even if we have already surpassed their pre-season expectations.

I know we keep saying the season is over but that's just a figure of speech, it's not yet.  We do tend to look beyond the season we're currently in too, it might be hard for you but if you really try i'm sure you can.  We believe in you Brett, remember the sunshine bus is never far away!

But they play for us. And we might yet keep them. And if we don't, we'll replace them. You asked me about our striking options right now

The striking options that the club own - that's what I should have specified. Yet again, you crave longevity yet you're happy with these two loan signings. Someone already mentioned about Sunderland relying on loan signings to keep them up and look at their league position now.