Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

A lot just seem so broken they can't see the good in anything anymore. Even if we have already surpassed their pre-season expectations.

I know we keep saying the season is over but that's just a figure of speech, it's not yet.  We do tend to look beyond the season we're currently in too, it might be hard for you but if you really try i'm sure you can.  We believe in you Brett, remember the sunshine bus is never far away!

You don't even have to look far, loki...just look at your sig and remember that general feeling around the forum  :lol:

I can see why people are broken, it's horrible to witness but i can understand where they are coming from.

You mean look beyond the current season like for example to the end of the summer transfer window?

Absolutely yes.  Take the past and the present and extrapolate the various possible futures.  Look at the direction and the trend of events and on that base your expectations and hopes for this great football club.

Guest tollemache

But they play for us. And we might yet keep them. And if we don't, we'll replace them. You asked me about our striking options right now

The striking options that the club own - that's what I should have specified. Yet again, you crave longevity yet you're happy with these two loan signings. Someone already mentioned about Sunderland relying on loan signings to keep them up and look at their league position now.

Ok, if you'd specified 'that the club own' I'd have said, "Absolutely horrendous, but we have these loans for now who are really good".

I'm not being inconsistent - I crave longevity, so I'd rather have permanent signings, but we have these loans which are ok for now. Preferring permanent signings doesn't mean I pretend the loans haven't happened or that they somehow don't count as signings.

You mean look beyond the current season like for example to the end of the summer transfer window?

When was the last time we signed a striker on a permanent deal? Considering it's been a major problem since Carroll left.

But they play for us. And we might yet keep them. And if we don't, we'll replace them. You asked me about our striking options right now

The striking options that the club own - that's what I should have specified. Yet again, you crave longevity yet you're happy with these two loan signings. Someone already mentioned about Sunderland relying on loan signings to keep them up and look at their league position now.

Ok, if you'd specified 'that the club own' I'd have said, "Absolutely horrendous, but we have these loans for now who are really good".

I'm not being inconsistent - I crave longevity, so I'd rather have permanent signings, but we have these loans which are ok for now. Preferring permanent signings doesn't mean I pretend the loans haven't happened or that they somehow don't count as signings.

Loans for a club our size are utterly pathetic. It's a way for the club to spend minimal amounts - something you'll be absolutely chuffed about.

A lot just seem so broken they can't see the good in anything anymore. Even if we have already surpassed their pre-season expectations.

I know we keep saying the season is over but that's just a figure of speech, it's not yet.  We do tend to look beyond the season we're currently in too, it might be hard for you but if you really try i'm sure you can.  We believe in you Brett, remember the sunshine bus is never far away!

You don't even have to look far, loki...just look at your sig and remember that general feeling around the forum  :lol:

I can see why people are broken, it's horrible to witness but i can understand where they are coming from.

Don't look at me, I wanted Pardew sacked in the season we finished fifth.  There hasn't been an ounce of ambition at this club short of promoting a frankly down market clothing goods warehouse for many a year.

Guest tollemache

Absolutely yes.  Take the past and the present and extrapolate the various possible futures.  Look at the direction and the trend of events and on that base your expectations and hopes for this great football club.

Well, that's what I've done. And in the last few seasons, our lineup at the end of each summer transfer window has been stronger than the lineup at the end of the summer window before it. Whether that has been down to January business or whatever, it's true. So now I want to see whether the same will apply at the start of next season. I don't think it will (because Cabaye was so damn good and I don't think his replacement will be a match, with the best will in the world) but I think we'll have made some significant improvements across the team.

Well, that's what I've done. And in the last few seasons, our lineup at the end of each summer transfer window has been stronger than the lineup at the end of the summer window before it. Whether that has been down to January business or whatever, it's true. So now I want to see whether the same will apply at the start of next season. I don't think it will (because Cabaye was so damn good and I don't think his replacement will be a match, with the best will in the world) but I think we'll have made some significant improvements across the team.

So we've improved our squad every season and yet we're not far above where Hughton left us.  Our last league position was well below where Hughton left us.  You state we have improved our squad year on year ergo Alan Pardew has done a worse job with a better squad than Chris Hughton who was sacked.

Not at all. We are just reflecting the club's stance that this season is already over with nothing left to play for.

Don't look at me, I wanted Pardew sacked in the season we finished fifth.  There hasn't been an ounce of ambition at this club short of promoting a frankly down market clothing goods warehouse for many a year.

I'm not looking at you, basically showing the general feeling is still doom and gloom even though this season we have surpassed expectation and got us back to where roughly this squad should be. With a better manager i'm fairly confident we would be 7th but 7th-9th, it's not the biggest of differences, it's still fuck all really and that's Ashley's fault. Only good that has come this season is there has been no talk of relegation which was widely expected by many.

Guest tollemache

Loans for a club our size are utterly pathetic. It's a way for the club to spend minimal amounts - something you'll be absolutely chuffed about.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/25/emmanuel-adebayor-real-madrid-loan

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/23015682

I'm not on the Southampton band wagon, just like i wasn't on the Swansea one last year. Play good football but there results can just be as erratic and although they've hit god form in the league atm, they will have their bad patch once again. Still think we can finish above them and finish the season strongly. If we don't do that just stumble into 9th place, it's not the end of the world.

Our good first half of the season ensured there would be no relegation battle this year, it pushed us into a position to challenge top 6 but Ashley decided it would be better to sell our best player instead of keeping him and adding a couple to help with the push.

That's Brett's stance too.  We finished ninth this season apparently.

I still think we will grab 8th actually :lol:

You know what mate, when we were on course to finish 5th a lot of us were saying 'this is shit, it's not sustainable, we need to do things differently'.  The next season we barely avoided relegation.  When we were in that decent little spell before Christmas a few were lapping it up and spouting their usual shite normally accompanied by a call to look at the league table. 

Some people can see further than just the current league position.  We worry about the direction the club is going, the overall strategy (if there is one), the long term development of the club from the academy levels to the first team.

If you're happy with what you see when you look at Newcastle United then all power to you.

Guest tollemache

So we've improved our squad every season and yet we're not far above where Hughton left us.  Our last league position was well below where Hughton left us.  You state we have improved our squad year on year ergo Alan Pardew has done a worse job with a better squad than Chris Hughton who was sacked.

We're not far above because it is really really hard to break into the top 6. We could improve even more and still find that we tend to finish 6th - 8th. But anyone can glance at our squad over the last 3 years and see it's improved as we've signed players like Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Remy blah blah. If anyone is going to dispute that then I give up.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/25/emmanuel-adebayor-real-madrid-loan

The deal is a victory for the Real coach, José Mourinho, who has persisted in his pursuit of a new striker despite resistance from the board.
- Cheap option when board are unwilling.

Courtois was done because it was clear from the outset that the loan deal would be for a long time until Cech was finished.

To be honest there's nowt wrong with the odd one but to be reliant on loan players is wrong.

That's Brett's stance too.  We finished ninth this season apparently.

I still think we will grab 8th actually :lol:

You know what mate, when we were on course to finish 5th a lot of us were saying 'this is shit, it's not sustainable, we need to do things differently'.  The next season we barely avoided relegation.  When we were in that decent little spell before Christmas a few were lapping it up and spouting their usual shite normally accompanied by a call to look at the league table. 

Some people can see further than just the current league position.  We worry about the direction the club is going, the overall strategy (if there is one), the long term development of the club from the academy levels to the first team.

If you're happy with what you see when you look at Newcastle United then all power to you.

:thup:

We're not far above because it is really really hard to break into the top 6. We could improve even more and still find that we tend to finish 6th - 8th. But anyone can glance at our squad over the last 3 years and see it's improved as we've signed players like Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Remy blah blah. If anyone is going to dispute that then I give up.

Ok, so we agree Pardew is doing less with more.

Guest tollemache

The deal is a victory for the Real coach, José Mourinho, who has persisted in his pursuit of a new striker despite resistance from the board.
- Cheap option when board are unwilling.

Courtois was done because it was clear from the outset that the loan deal would be for a long time until Cech was finished.

To be honest there's nowt wrong with the odd one but to be reliant on loan players is wrong.

Yep. If we settled into a pattern of getting more and more loans over the next couple of years I'd think that

a) it was shit and not likely to lead to improvement or stability

b) bafflingly inconsistent with the previously stated aim of buying young and selling for loads