Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

That's Brett's stance too.  We finished ninth this season apparently.

I still think we will grab 8th actually :lol:

You know what mate, when we were on course to finish 5th a lot of us were saying 'this is s***, it's not sustainable, we need to do things differently'.  The next season we barely avoided relegation.  When we were in that decent little spell before Christmas a few were lapping it up and spouting their usual s**** normally accompanied by a call to look at the league table. 

Some people can see further than just the current league position.  We worry about the direction the club is going, the overall strategy (if there is one), the long term development of the club from the academy levels to the first team.

If you're happy with what you see when you look at Newcastle United then all power to you.

:clap:  :thup:

Spot on.

You know what mate, when we were on course to finish 5th a lot of us were saying 'this is s***, it's not sustainable, we need to do things differently'.  The next season we barely avoided relegation.  When we were in that decent little spell before Christmas a few were lapping it up and spouting their usual s**** normally accompanied by a call to look at the league table. 

Some people can see further than just the current league position.  We worry about the direction the club is going, the overall strategy (if there is one), the long term development of the club from the academy levels to the first team.

If you're happy with what you see when you look at Newcastle United then all power to you.

I'll never be happy with what i see with Ashley in charge. I've never budged from the fact he's the biggest cunt by a country mile.

If you could have a situation where either Ashley stays long term and a new manager is hired, or a new owner comes in and Pardew remains in charge, i'd take the new owner all day long without question. The owners are the most important people at the club, not the players, not the manager. With the right ambition and with the right attitude, the owners can take your club wherever they dare to dream. Players/Managers however can always be restricted by the owner in charge, like is the case with us.

Guest tollemache

You mean look beyond the current season like for example to the end of the summer transfer window?

Absolutely yes.  Take the past and the present and extrapolate the various possible futures.  Look at the direction and the trend of events and on that base your expectations and hopes for this great football club.

Well, that's what I've done. And in the last few seasons, our lineup at the end of each summer transfer window has been stronger than the lineup at the end of the summer window before it. Whether that has been down to January business or whatever, it's true. So now I want to see whether the same will apply at the start of next season. I don't think it will (because Cabaye was so damn good and I don't think his replacement will be a match, with the best will in the world) but I think we'll have made some significant improvements across the team.

So we've improved our squad every season and yet we're not far above where Hughton left us.  Our last league position was well below where Hughton left us.  You state we have improved our squad year on year ergo Alan Pardew has done a worse job with a better squad than Chris Hughton who was sacked.

We're not far above because it is really really hard to break into the top 6. We could improve even more and still find that we tend to finish 6th - 8th. But anyone can glance at our squad over the last 3 years and see it's improved as we've signed players like Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Mbiwa, Gouffran, Remy blah blah. If anyone is going to dispute that then I give up.

Ok, so we agree Pardew is doing less with more.

I don't think you can deduce that just from the league position and the strength of the squad because, as I said, it's ridiculously hard to break into the top 6 / 7 consistently no matter who you are or how much you spend (within sensible limits) - or whoever your manager is. But what Pardew is doing is certainly not more with more. He's just... doing.

I'll never be happy with what i see with Ashley in charge. I've never budged from the fact he's the biggest cunt by a country mile.

If you could have a situation where either Ashley stays long term and a new manager is hired, or a new owner comes in and Pardew remains in charge, i'd take the new owner all day long without question. The owners are the most important people at the club, not the players, not the manager. With the right ambition and with the right attitude, the owners can take your club wherever they dare to dream. Players/Managers however can always be restricted by the owner in charge, like is the case with us.

Well you need to talk to trollboy then because he thinks the owner's doing ok and our squad is improving every year.

I'll never be happy with what i see with Ashley in charge. I've never budged from the fact he's the biggest c*** by a country mile.

Well you need to talk to trollboy then because he thinks the owner's doing ok and our squad is improving every year.

I think he's just on the wind up, his avatar is taking the piss out of Ashley yet he's sticking up for him to the hilt on here...nahhhh i'm not having he's serious like  :lol:

Btw you don't like loans anyway, you told me you'd prefer us to stick to our guns and only pay our valuation for permanent signings.  Anything else is deviating from our principles.

Part of the change in my attitude from one window to the next is that I can kind of applaud sticking to your policy in any given window (especially if, as in Debuchy's case, it means you get your man later on, at the price you want) but to fluff two, and to run risks / sacrifice league performance by doing so, you've got to ignore opportunities to bend your policy a bit. Pull a Mertesacker, get some warhorse in who has no resale value. Loan someone. Pay £1m extra to make sure you have some depth, whatever it takes. But I stand by my utter indifference to us missing out on targets in the summer. I know that seems weird

edit: indifference is the wrong word. In terms of blame, maybe. I can see that happening without anyone necessarily fucking up

You've moved the goalposts to the fucking moon man, and you'll move them back to Earth when it suits you to, as long as the end result is a message of "We're areet man, we're improving slowly (probably too slowly for the naked eye[/pards]), we're in it for the long haul so judge us next transfer window" etc.

All of this at a time when Shola Ameobi is still getting games for us, 10 years after his sell-by date, before which he was average at best.

Guest tollemache

Yes, I'd prefer permanent signings. I've said that looooads of times

Where's the move in the goalposts there? I said that one quiet window can happen, to cock up two running suggests you're doing something a bit wrong as if things really aren't going for you in the market, you can always fuck your principles slightly, go for a loan, bring in someone to fill the gap, whatever. I don't expect us to cock up this summer, just as I didn't think we'd cock up last January.

One minute you want us to avoid loans at all costs because it's wasted time and money and is against the transfer principles we've recently established.  The next they're fine, no worries.  It's almost as if you change your mind on a whim dependent on what Ashley does, and then agree with it.  But that can't be the case I'm sure.

One minute you want us to avoid loans at all costs because it's wasted time and money and is against the transfer principles we've recently established.  The next they're fine, no worries.  It's almost as if you change your mind on a whim dependent on what Ashley does, and then agree with it.  But that can't be the case I'm sure.

Why would anyone do that?

Guest tollemache

Er I've said I don't know how many times, permanent signings are way way way better and that's what we should be doing. I also pointed out that loan signings do actually count as signings, so saying "we've signed nobody in X windows" etc when in reality we've bought in two extremely highly-regarded players on loan, is a bit rubbish.

How much more clearly can I put it? Loans aren't good value, we should be signing players permanently, but if a loan is really the best you can do, or the only way of getting a certain kind of player, sometimes you might have to loan someone. It's not ideal. Signing permanently is better and should form the basis of the transfer policy. Ideally we should not sign players on loan. I want us to avoid loans. Pretending that a loan player who has come in and scored a load of goals for you isn't an actual signing just so you can complain about a lack of signings is silly.

It's a very simple idea. Once again, just to make sure

Permanent signings > loans

Loans = not good value

Loan signings are nonetheless signings who play for you, and who you pay money for.