NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I think b2b is a bit like sweeper keeper, people love to use the term to sound a bit more knowledgeable, yet haven't really got a clue what it means. When people describe b2b mids, they usually include 90% of central mids who aren't fully defensive or players behind the strikers.

I think b2b is a bit like sweeper keeper, people love to use the term to sound a bit more knowledgeable, yet haven't really got a clue what it means. When people describe b2b mids, they usually include 90% of central mids who aren't fully defensive or players behind the strikers.

It's a player who essentially drives the team forward. That most certainly isn't either of our two.

It's a player who essentially drives the team forward. That most certainly isn't either of our two.

Agh, maybe I had a different definition in my head, I thought it was someone who ran a lot between both boxes, defending when required and attacking when required. Maybe there are more people as dumb as me and where the confusion lies  :lol:

Agh, maybe I had a different definition in my head, I thought it was someone who ran a lot between both boxes, defending when required and attacking when required. Maybe there are more people as dumb as me and where the confusion lies  :lol:

Well you would think that would be it, hence the name.

Guest VaVaVoom

On Gervinho i dont actually understand why we wanted him he doesnt seem to fit at all......

Never going to play on the wings in a 4-4-2 and i dont see why he would fit in a partnership with Ba.

Cabaye isn't exactly an ideal fit for Tiote either, but we bought him. Our policy seems to be to buy good players and let Pards do what he wants with them.

He probably could be. Agree with the rest of it, though. 

The more I see of them the more I think it just doesn't work and won't under most circumstances.

The more you see it, the more Cabaye's being moulded into a ball-chaser snapping at the opposition's heels all the time. Which is clearly a tactical thing imo.

They're two good players, there's no reason why they can't work together better. They're an unorthodox box-to-box at the moment, which isn't right. Obviously, they're not helped by the ball being floated over their head all game.

We don't need both of them doing that same job: interchanging attack/defense, hassling opposition. Tiote can do it on his own. It was scandalous how many times the ball fell to Tiote outside of the box against the Mackems. It should've been Cabaye cos the former can't shoot for shit.

I'd like to see us sign an out-and-out defensive midfielder with Tiote in the terrier/box-to-box role and Cabaye as the attacker. I can see why Pardew is trying to get more out of Cheick, because he's too good on the ball to be restricted to the anchor man role - but he's doing it at the expense of Cabaye's attacking prowess at the moment, and the balance isn't there.

The whole team's unbalanced at the moment, tbh. It's the root of our problems imo.

Spot on.

Cabaye's not a box-to-box player either. I love the fact folk see a player with a few cultured attributes and attach daft lables. Roy Keane was that type of player, as was Vieira, Gary Speed before he slowed down, Robert Lee, Gerrard, a young Lampard......

I have seen him at Lille its not just based of this season he is play is mainly based in both boxes be it helping out defensive work or making runs to the edge of the box and having a shots from edge of the box or getting forward to score goals.....

Actually alot like Scholes as a youngster but not as good

He is not been that player for us, his natural role is b2b always has been even people in France said so.

It's just that he has the technical ability to pull off other roles, but his natural role is b2b.

Lol @ the generalising btw, because some people use b2b as a term to make up for thier lack of knowledge dont mean we all do  :lol:

Cabaye's not a box-to-box player either. I love the fact folk see a player with a few cultured attributes and attach daft lables. Roy Keane was that type of player, as was Vieira, Gary Speed before he slowed down, Robert Lee, Gerrard, a young Lampard......

I have seen him at Lille its not just based of this season he is play is mainly based in both boxes be it helping out defensive work or making runs to the edge of the box and having a shots from edge of the box or getting forward to score goals.....

Actually alot like Scholes as a youngster but not as good

He is not been that player for us, his natural role is b2b always has been even people in France said so.

It's just that he has the technical ability to pull off other roles, but his natural role is b2b.

Lol @ the generalising btw, because some people use b2b as a term to make up for thier lack of knowledge dont mean we all do  :lol:

i'm with moley here. in lille he was much like he was here early on in the season. didn't get in the box much but often hit the edge of the box, much more than he is now. i wonder if this season has really taken it out of him. wasn't ther some stat earlier this season that he was doing about a third more running than he done in france during games ?

When I hear the term box-to-box I usually think of a midfielder who can actually make runs to get on the end of chances inside the penalty area. They're finish off chances set up by others as much as set chances up themselves.

I suppose in Premiership football, a player usually has to be very athletic and strong to play like that. Whatever Cabaye's role in France, he may find it more difficult in this country. At the moment, I'd agree with those who say we've got a bit of a problem because Cabaye's role as a playmaker often leads to him playing side-by-side with Tiote, rather than in advance of him.

Ultimately, I hope we're able to switch to a 4-3-3, and make better use of Cabaye that way (ie enable him to get forward more)

At the moment, I'd agree with those who say we've got a bit of a problem because Cabaye's role as a playmaker often leads to him playing side-by-side with Tiote, rather than in advance of him.

When we're in possession he's playing at LB.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

At the moment, I'd agree with those who say we've got a bit of a problem because Cabaye's role as a playmaker often leads to him playing side-by-side with Tiote, rather than in advance of him.

I think pardew's trying to play him as a deep-lying playmaker in the pirlo mould, but the problem is that we're consistently outnumbered in midfield. Whereas pirlo would have gattuso and ambrosini buzzing around him, cabaye only has tiote and two wide midfielders who essentially play as wing-backs. We're just not really set up for attacking football at present, cabaye has no available options other than  the old hoof at present because of how pardew's sending the team out.

We're just not really set up for attacking football at present.

That's the crux of it like, we haven't seen the best of any of the midfielders in an attacking sense. It was all good early in the season when we weren't conceding but it needed to be addressed months ago and nothing's been done.

Douglas' plug:

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

Sunday Sun tomorrow has Hatem Ben Arfa, Alan Pardew, a contract exclusive and transfer news. #nufc

Regarding the "contract exclusive", I'm going to guess Guthrie/Simpson.

Guest Deadmau5

Hatem have been getting stick for a while up until recently for not working hard enough and adapting to Pardews tactics. The problem was with the player.

Now both Cabaye and Ba are losing form and a failure to integrate Cissè properly into the side alongside Demba is also looming.

Could the problem not be with the players, but with the manager?

Cabaye is the best midfielder in france, yet he has looked - well frankly - shit for us the last 4-5 months. I`d rather start Guthrie tbh. He looks clueless and lost.

I wonder if our Champions league players watch swansea play fotball and wonder what the hell we are doing playing 2 DMs,  4 fullbacks and some lone boys up top...

Douglas' plug:

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

Sunday Sun tomorrow has Hatem Ben Arfa, Alan Pardew, a contract exclusive and transfer news. #nufc

Regarding the "contract exclusive", I'm going to guess Guthrie/Simpson.

And the transfer news is Vertonghen.

All you have to do is go on the Mirror website around 11pm. :lol:

Guest Deadmau5

Cabaye is the best midfielder in France?

Guaranteed starter in Laurent Blancs side, I think I`ll take his opinion over yours.

Guaranteed starter in Laurent Blancs side, I think I`ll take his opinion over yours.

he's played in the last couple of france games like he has recently for us, he's burning out.

Guest Deadmau5

he's played in the last couple of france games like he has recently for us, he's burning out.

The current situation at his daily employer affects his performances elsewhere, what a shocker.

You don't even know my opinion, nor do I particularly have one about Cabaye in the French pecking order. I was asking what you meant by it and what you were basing it on.

Guest Deadmau5

I'd take Samir Nasri every day of the week

Completely different players. Well, if Cabaye was playing like he used to. Right now, I`d take Wayne Routledge over him.

Guest Deadmau5

You don't even know my opinion, nor do I particularly have one about Cabaye in the French pecking order. I was asking what you meant by it and what you were basing it on.

Basing it on the fact that he is the premier pick for central midfield and has been for a while, by a coach that knows french fotball more intricately than most people.