NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest Roger Kint

:lol:  I'm not rising to your bait son. Good effs though :thup: that's the second one this morning

Out of interest why post it in this thread? :lol:

:lol: only just noticed that.

Thought i had missed something at first :lol:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the year we did most of our summer business early, pre 11-12, was our best one since Ashley took us over.

Sure, think everyone agrees it's better to do things early if possible. It's just harder when you place so much emphasis on getting the right financial deal.

That said, you could argue that the likes Sissoko et al have had six months extra integration already.

I'm dont think there was much hoofball 2nd half of last season to be honest, I think we were just s***.

Agreed. I think we will see even less next year. People go on like Pardew's tactic is hoofball, when quite clearly he is saying we need to retain possession a lot more and look more comfortable on the ball, taking control of games, I’m fairly certain you can't do that style of play by kicking it up to Cisse at any given opportunity. Last year, especially the back end of the season, our confidence was abysmal and as soon as we came under pressure, nobody in our side could take the control back, we crumbled in the second half time and time again as soon as the opposition came at us. Once again I don’t think Pardew was going in at half time with a 0-0/1-0 and telling our players to now sit back for 45 minutes and soak up the pressure, our players just underperformed. Not taking all the blame away from Pardew by any means, tactics from the start and during certain games was poor, team selections and choices/timing of substitutions was sometimes beyond belief.

Our possession will only improve if our movement does. Most of the time the players are forced in to belting it long due to Cisse being the only player on the move/looking to move into space and a few players seemingly having little confidence in their own ability to retain the ball

Our possession will only improve if our movement does. Most of the time the players are forced in to belting it long due to Cisse being the only player on the move/looking to move into space and a few players seemingly having little confidence in their own ability to retain the ball

Yep, this is very important. I think movement comes with confidence and positivity as well, hopefully not having the relegation threat right on our backs will help. Also picking Anita more would be good for this.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah more games with Anita/HBA involved in would help us get forward more and hold on to the ball more as well. A fully fit HBA this year will be a massive boost to the way we play.

I think that comes down to the manager at the end of the day. We can blame the players to a certain point, but when the manager himself is publicly yearning for jumpers, tacklers and signings like Andy Carroll it's a clue to where his philosophy is firmly rooted. No doubt he is looking to change it on the surface, the question is, does he have any idea how to do it?

Guest Roger Kint

Krul being linked with Arsenal again

All too predictable. NUFC bid for young keeper, lets link current young keeper to a team with cash/dodgy keeper :lol:

What about all those balls through/over our back four? Only Mapou is really pacey. It's not just about defending against good headers of the ball. And Mbiwa is twice as composed compared to Taylor who often goes down to the ground when he tackles. Yes i know that Mbiwa wasnt brilliant but he also hasn't played much in this league or with his new team mates, and most above all, we've been a mess of a team and he hasn't got games with the calming influence that Coloccini is.

I think Mbiwa will be much much better this year (if he gets to play with Colo that is)

Amazing how that has been forgotten about tbh :lol:

It was a massive complaint from the majority before we signed Mapou that it was so easy to get in behind the back 4 with Taylor/Williamson and Colo with Mbiwa and Debuchy to some extent we have better recovery pace and positional sense.

I understand where people are coming from but i do feel it could work well none the less.

Colo's slow as owt himself, he's slower than Taylor. I love Colo but he's not the best with a high line because 1. not great in the air 2. slow

It is terrifying how we have not signed a player yet, into the second week of July, that cunt on holiday, still just looking at players.

We needed them in sharp for the pre-season farce. I can see it being totally frustrating and ending up signing just one player. Would be happy with a winger and striker but not convinced they will get that, just more excuses. It's just to fucking quiet

And the fact the PL now has a shortage of physical hardmen strikers. Game has completely changed from say 10/15 year ago. I think Colo/MYM could would perfectly well.

The strikers of today are far better athletes; stronger and quicker. It's not about who likes elbowing defenders.

If any league should be known for its atheltic forwards it is Ligue 1, and Yanga-Mbiwa is our most athletic centreback by far. I don't think Taylor provides anything more physically than Yanga-Mbiwa offers. He is however, a much more experienced player in this league and a better pure defender. I'm fairly confident in all three of our centrebacks when they are fit. In fact, I quite like the players we have in defence. We really need both of our fullbacks to perform consistently next season though, because neither did last season despite all of their talent.

MBiwa has proven nothing thus far that suggests him to be our most athletic centreback in terms of strength and jumping ability. He has really not shown to be very strong and has been outmuscled everytime he has played a physically bigger player than him.

I think that comes down to the manager at the end of the day. We can blame the players to a certain point, but when the manager himself is publicly yearning for jumpers, tacklers and signings like Andy Carroll it's a clue to where his philosophy is firmly rooted. No doubt he is looking to change it on the surface, the question is, does he have any idea how to do it?

And does he have any genuine intentions of changing it even?

He always talked a good game but the performances on the pitch always contradicted his salesman speeches.

He always talked a good game but the performances on the pitch always contradicted his salesman speeches.

I think he's tried to move to a passing game, you can see that the players were attempting to retain possession at times last season. But without forward movement from the players, passing becomes difficult, and Pardew is reluctant to encourage forward movement as we all know so we end up with a confused and frustrated team.

I think he's tried to move to a passing game, you can see that the players were attempting to retain possession at times last season. But without forward movement from the players, passing becomes difficult, and Pardew is reluctant to encourage forward movement as we all know so we end up with a confused and frustrated team.

We did play less hoof ball in the last third of the season, but still essentially  defensive/counter attacking football.  Thus like you said limited movement.