NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

strikes me more at least last jan they just got carried away with the relative success of 1 signing from France (Cabaye) and went mental, the rest of our signings from France have been mixed at best, downright awful at worst.

I seriously don't get why we can't/won't sign players playing in England (Remy doesn't count because we wanted him from France 6 months ago), I understand signing directly from a Premier League side can be expensive and you have to overpay to get anyone good otherwise why would they sell him but lower league? I refuse to believe theres no value down there that isn't worth taking a punt on. Hell some of our more successful recent signings have been english based, Simpson whatever peoples criticism of him was a reliable rb we got on the cheap and looked a hell of a lot better than Debuchy has thus far, Perch was a great squad player and I don't get at all why we sold him. Hell even Williamson for what he cost has provided reasonably good service to us. Its a big oversight which will only cost us in the long term and we've missed out already (Redmond for £2m is an absolute steal)

strikes me more at least last jan they just got carried away with the relative success of 1 signing from France (Cabaye) and went mental, the rest of our signings from France have been mixed at best, downright awful at worst.

I seriously don't get why we can't/won't sign players playing in England (Remy doesn't count because we wanted him from France 6 months ago), I understand signing directly from a Premier League side can be expensive and you have to overpay to get anyone good otherwise why would they sell him but lower league? I refuse to believe theres no value down there that isn't worth taking a punt on. Hell some of our more successful recent signings have been english based, Simpson whatever peoples criticism of him was a reliable rb we got on the cheap and looked a hell of a lot better than Debuchy has thus far, Perch was a great squad player and I don't get at all why we sold him. Hell even Williamson for what he cost has provided reasonably good service to us. Its a big oversight which will only cost us in the long term and we've missed out already (Redmond for £2m is an absolute steal)

Completely agree there's no way I believe that Gomis would score more goals for us than say a Charlie Austin or a Jordan Rhodes or even Troy Deeney at a push

Sick of signing from France now.

Lyon went out of the CL, Nice and St Etienne both just crashed out of the EL to some absolute randomers. They've never done that well in Europe anyway and Monaco and PSG are just buying from other countries. Is this really the best place to be shopping? I don't doubt there is players there but ALL of our scouting seems to be in one fucking league.

:thup: Enough's enough now.

Yup. I can't help but feel we are missing out with not scouting Eastern Europe more. Still bargains to be found in Croatia, Czech Republic, Serbia, Romania... etc. and probably players that will work harder and give a shit more then some of the French lads we are looking at.

I don't mind if we sign every single player from Paris or wherever, as long as we have looked elsewhere first. It's the fact that we seem to be ignoring so many good markets that's the problem. Probably partly because of value in France and also because of reluctance or inability to expand the scouting team.

Some of the promoted sides over the last few seasons are proof enough that given the chance some of these Championship players are good enough for the Premiership, the biggest problem being price. If we went after say Lambert for example he would cost a bomb right now. Jordan Rhodes we'd probably have to spend at least £8 million to get him and he hasn't played in the Premiership. I know the Mackems got mugged but still look how much Wickham cost them, he didn't even score that many for Ipswich did he. Because of the price tag involved immediately these players are under pressure to perform. Nugent was ridiculed but I would say mainly because of his price tag.

Guest icemanblue

Still expecting a Sibierski-esque last minute signing of Carlton Cole to solve all our woes and keep our magnificent DOF's promises.

Jesus, that's so possible it's frightening. :(

It really is. Especially when you take into consideration all of the over the hill English players we've signed in recent seasons. :(

Still expecting a Sibierski-esque last minute signing of Carlton Cole to solve all our woes and keep our magnificent DOF's promises.

Jesus, that's so possible it's frightening. :(

It really is. Especially when you take into consideration all of the over the hill English players we've signed in recent seasons. :(

Thanks for doing this BTW.