Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Guest icemanblue

His link up play isn't that bad like, it's really not.

It's been fine in the past, definitely. His lack of confidence/loss of form just seems to have effected all areas of his game.

If he isn't being marked tight, and is allowed to collect the ball with no pressure, then yes, it isn't bad at all.

However, many footballers can be respectable in such circumstances, many of whom aren't even professionals. Such conditions are few and far between if playing in any respectable league, which sucks for him and us.

If he isn't being marked tight, and is allowed to collect the ball with no pressure, then yes, it isn't bad at all.

However, many footballers can be respectable in such circumstances, many of whom aren't even professionals. Such conditions are few and far between if playing in any respectable league, which sucks for him and us.

I agree. Think he isn't much good at all with his back to goal. And of late he's often been shooting from really stupid angles instead of looking for the better pass (outside foot through ball to a non anticipatory Gouf last night being an exception).

His link up play seemed to change dramatically after he'd scored. Prior to scoring when his back was to goal he was atrocious in both his touch and pass, but after the goal he actually started to take a decent touch and find his man.

He seems to be a player whereby his confidence in his footballing ability is driven by whether he's scoring or not. When he first signed and was scoring everything, his overall play was fantastic - he looked like a complete striker, but whenever he's been on a goal drought he's looked like he can barely play the sport.

If we provide him with chances I think we'll see an improvement in his overall play.

One of the most worrying things with him though is his lack of movement these days. It's like he's decided that the balls not going to come so what's the point in making the run - so when a ball does come he's not there. Vicious cycle.

Got to agree, he has bad touches like anyone, but his good work just gets ignored on here. Not every striker would have put that header away either, he generated some good power by timing it perfectly.

At first I was unimpressed when we ended with Goofy as a winger instead of Remy but really quite like Goofy now in between Remy and HBA. He's wasted out wide.

I went to the Vila game and was really impressed with him when he came on. He caused villa big problems with his size, speed, control, ability to hold the ball up and impressive work rate. Every time i've seen him lately he's looked really good. Great goal yesterday and seems to be getting better and better.

He's a big lad hard to knock off the ball and far more physically suited to the Premiership than the weaker Cisse is. He's also a lot quicker than Cisse too, hard working and seems to know how to take his chances better than Cisse at the moment.

I'd try starting him ahead of Cisse. Cisse just does look like he'd lost it and couldn't hit a barn door in the Premiership at the moment.

I've been thinking long and hard about this one, because I simply don't believe, based on his first 6 months here, that he's a bad player. Players have had amazing purple patches and played out of their skin before, but for 6 months, he was as good as Cole, Ferdinand or Shearer in their pomp, and I seriously believe that. He isn't as good a player as any of them, but teams feared us because of him, which is the mark of a serious striker worth his salt.

My conclusion - and I'm open for it to be wrong - is that he's weak mentally and quite an isolated person. I think that's more than just that he's a confidence player and he's totally devoid of confidence - that's part of it - but I think there's an element of fragility, a really strong element of self-doubt, that's battling against. You seem him a lot walking around with his head down, looking around a bit listlessly. I wonder whether he's in his own head, talking to himself a bit, maybe even having a go; frustrated because, objectively he knows - on the basis of his body of work when he arrived here his by all accounts strong record in Germany - that he's a good striker, but I wonder whether subjectively he believes it himself. My worry is that it has got to a stage where scoring a goal or two doesn't set him calm and get him feeling comfortable, if anything it adds more pressure to him. Along the lines of - "look, there's more evidence that I can do it, so why can't I do that more regularly? Or was it just a fluke" type of thing. Perhaps he overthinks; I have no idea, I don't know the chap, but based on a completely unqualified hypothesis from his body movement; his listlessness; his disappearance from games and his childish behaviour at times when frustrated (often a sign when an insecure, unconfident person kicks out externally against other people but's its really anger at themselves or frustration with their own performance/situation) just makes me think that he's a spot fragile. Maybe having Demba Ba when he arrived here - not because they were mates, but because he was effectively a really, really nice bonus and there was no pressure, and/or he slotted right into a very comfortable, functioning and smooth unit as we were then - was the reason that a fragility, or cloak of self-doubt were never really exposed. They never had to be. He was a bit off at the start of last year, and to my mind he was nowhere near ready to become the "main man", mentally at least, to take the mantle of our number 9 not in just shirt number but in talismanic status. I think he's been burdened by it and he doesn't truly believe he can do it.

There was also a lot of bad luck involved last year - some incredibly incorrect offside decisions/goal line decisions, he hit the bar and post more than average, and maybe that's weighed on his mind and has him feeling that luck is going against him, which weighs in on the self-belief. I don't really know. I'm just somewhat stoned and having a little wonder down Frasier-level psychology lane.

I don't know if it's something he's going to get out of, especially in a club where everyone know seems to know and believe the awful truth, that we have no ambition, that making money is the order of the day, that any player will be off (against their wishes if need be) if someone else comes in for them and pays what Ashley thinks is good money (the uncertainty of upheaval, family life, personal life and relationships is probably not considered by us as fans because we think "fuck you, you get paid in a week what we get in a year, just man up") they'll be off and they have probably sussed that Pardew is a very limited manager who may not develop them to their peak as footballers. This isn't the right situation for someone who has the issues that I suspect consume him.

You've drifted towards the idea that it's Ashley's fault that Cisse isn't playing well.

I sense that Cisse is becoming isolated, but my guess is that it's more complicated than a loss of confidence. He acquired a big reputation in the early months, that he hasn't been able to live up to. However, he's still acting like he's a prince who's been turned into a frog, and any day, when his so-called form returns or when his team-mates present him with more chances, it's all going to change. In reality, he's an ordinary striker who hit a lucky streak early on.

If he comes to terms with that and knuckles down, things will improve. If he keeps operating in a fantasy world, they won't.

You've drifted towards the idea that it's Ashley's fault that Cisse isn't playing well.

I sense that Cisse is becoming isolated, but my guess is that it's more complicated than a loss of confidence. He acquired a big reputation in the early months, that he hasn't been able to live up to. However, he's still acting like he's a prince who's been turned into a frog, and any day, when his so-called form returns or when his team-mates present him with more chances, it's all going to change. In reality, he's an ordinary striker who hit a lucky streak early on.

If he comes to terms with that and knuckles down, things will improve. If he keeps operating in a fantasy world, they won't.

I don't think so at all. I mentioned Ashley's regime as being part of a situation which isn't ideal for a person with the mental make-up I think he has. I think you might me to keen to shoe-horn my view into the pro- or anti-Ashley black and white stance which this forum has develped.

Your argument is an interesting one, and suggests that there is an immaturity to him too. It's not that he's insecure/down on himself, he's actually spoilt. That's an interesting counterpoise.

Ba was undeservedly dropped away at Everton then came on, changed the game and was brilliant ever since.

I hope we have a similar reaction from Cisse.

Hopefully we'll not need him to score to win us the game and we'll do the business without needing him, BUT if it comes down to that - I hope he comes off the bench angry as fuck and plays like the Cisse who first joined us - confident as fuck...so yeah, I'm with you man :thup:

Guest bimpy474

So who'd have thought another good striker would also look s**** with this shower behind them.

Remy? The lad that has scored more PL goals for Newcastle than Cisse in 2013 and scored at Everton? That lad?

:lol: