Who can go?

Guest VaVaVoom

Comparing Colo to Nolan. :lol:

Over the years of reading your posts, I have come to understand your arrogance is probably borne from your inability to read properly.

If you took the time to read my post, you would realise that I was comparing Nolan's contracgt situation with Colo, not a comparison of players.

Cut the crap.You are only showing yourself up, as usual

Oh, really?

Many on here were up in arms about Nolan ast summer but in my opinion, he has not been missed, been replacedd by better, younger and more efficient and I can see the same thing happening with Colo.

Aye, right. Not a (ludicrous) comparison of players. Certainly looks like one of us needs to learn to read and write. :lol:

Yeah, whatever Ronaldo :whistle:

To be fair to Ronaldo, as much as he may wind people up, you're talking absolute s**** mate. Absolute s****. Comparing Nolan and Colo's contractual situation is utterly ridiculous. Name a 'better, younger and more efficient' centre half than Coloccini. Idiot.

I think Magpie's general point was that there's often a lot of pressure from supporters to retain the services of established and popular players. However, the owner and manager have to look at the longer term, and make sure there's a good lot of younger players coming through into the first team. Sometimes that means taking a short-term step back to take a longer-term step forward.

The prime example of that in recent years was Shearer extending his time at the club, which was treated as great news by the majority of supporters, but which turned out to be a terrible mistake.

The other consideration is that you can't wait until an older player's form starts to dip, and then pitch someone in reactively. That's seems to be what Chelsea are trying to do and it's difficult.

We also don't know precisely what Colo is asking for. I'd say it's right to have a general policy on salaries and if his demands are way in excess of the rest of the squad then we shouldn't cough up.

As it is with Colo, I'd settle for allowing him to see out his contract if we can't come to an agreement. We're not going to get the kind of mega-offer that would tempt us to do otherwise.

Guest magpie99

Yeah, whatever Ronaldo :whistle:

To be fair to Ronaldo, as much as he may wind people up, you're talking absolute s**** mate. Absolute s****. Comparing Nolan and Colo's contractual situation is utterly ridiculous. Name a 'better, younger and more efficient' centre half than Coloccini. Idiot.

Well, well, maybe you should try thinking outside the circle, if you can understand what that means. Let me enlighten you:

Just say Colocinni refuses to sign the contract offered him and he has a year left on his existing contract where he can leave for free at the end. Just say he has asked for a new contract similar in length to what Nollan asked for and the club offered him less. Just say hhe decided to move because his agent managed to find a club that swould meet his demands..............CAPICE?

Now, just to remind you that this is all hyperthetical (which means not actually happening at presengt) at present.

Just say a club like Seville offered the club 5 or 6 million for his services

In your supreme estimation, if you were in charge at NUFC, what would you do? Now bear in mond, if you refused the offer, you would have (a) an unhappy player on your hands and (b) lost out on potential money to put towards a replacement.

Also, you need to bear in mind the current policy adapted by the club for consideration in your decision here.

Now then, all of a sudden, hyperthetically, Montpellier contact the club and advise as we were an interested party, their 22 year old centre half and captain is available for 1o million euros. He is considered to be a future captain of the French national team and is being tracked by a number of top clubs but we are offered first refusal.

What would you do?

Does this explain this to you a little more succinctly (meaning easier to understand)?

With regard to my views on Colo, I would like nothing better than to see him stay but as previously mentioned on this thread by playing the devils advocate here, I am looking at other alternatives as I am sure Pardew, Ashley and Llambiase are in case of worst case scenarios.

As for being an idiot, well, lets just say that people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones and leave it at that.

If Colo goes he needs to be replaced by someone of similar quality or with potential, but that's obvious. My only other contribution is that I'd be keeping Raylor and Perch. Both decent cover, it's not Perch's fault we went into the season without enough centre halves.

Nolan is a very limited footballer, a poor athlete on a good day, and way past his best. A lot of us on here asserted that while his goals were valuable, we would function far better as a team if he was replaced by a midfielder with athleticism. Further to that, a couple of us expressed the opinion early last year that Pards didn't rate him, and he'd be out the door if he wasn't happy to be a substitute. For clarification, Nolan had 2 years left on his contract when he left NUFC.

Basically, there's not a hint of correlation there with Colo's situation. Both are captains, that's about it.

Guest magpie99

Look, talking about similarities regarding the two players is not what I am getting at. I am talking about their situations.

Colo has 18 months left on his contract, Nolan had two years.

Both were/are club captains

Both were/possibly expecting longer contracts

Both were/are integral members of the team at the time, Colo for his defensiv e stability, Nolan for his 13 goals

Both were/are great leaders on the pitch

Both were/will be sold if they do not agree terms

Both were/will probably be replaced by younger, fitter, quicker and possibly better players

Bothn did/possibly will try to influence the length of their contract negotiations by using their influence in the side as a reason.

Both did/possibly will fail.

Can you see enough similarities here? 

Really though, who'll be missed?

Xisco, Ranger, Kadar & Smith have all offered nothing in their NUFC careers.

Harper to be replaced by Forster

Perch cannot play as a defender, light cover for midfield, but promote Abeid to his position and he's taken care of

Lovenkrands has done his job, but Marvauex can step up to replace him on the wing, and as a striker we have 3 players well ahead of him.

Shola is 4th choice now, rather we got rid and give that place to Sammi.

Raylor has done well, but between him and Obertan i'd sell them both and invest in a proper right winger.

Who are we left with that we will miss? I don't see any if we sign a right winger and possibly Clyne, and with that lot gone were in a much stronger financial position to do so.

We are a big clear out and 3 signings away of having a great squad, once we start taking a chance on our youth players.

Plus there is vuckic to fit in there.

This isn't football manager, we need a squad not a strong 16. Injuries are bound to hit us sooner or later, as other people have said Harper, Smith, Xisco for me. High wages and surplus to requirements.

Guest magpie99

Like we could get a better or fitter player than Colo.

I would like to see him stay as much as the next supporter, mate, but what I am trying to get through to Ronaldo is a worst case scenario. If he were to refuse a new contract, the club will sell him and I am sure that Carr and Co, will already be scouring europe for his replacement in the off chance. To be honest, the club would ber stupid not to have a plan b and as he iis nows over 30 and lacks pace, I am sure they will be looking for a player who is younger and just as savvy.

I can't see us being able to get Xisco's rumoured £50K a week wages off the wage bill until his contract expires in June 2013. No team is going to buy him or pay him anything near those wages. I'm sure NUFC would even let him leave on a free transfer to get his wages off the books. He's currently playing (when he isn't injured) in the Spanish Segunda Division and isn't exactly setting the league alight.

Harper's contract also runs until June 2013. Will he ask to leave so he can get games somewhere else?

Lovenkrands' contract ends in June 2012. I can't see him getting a new contract at NUFC.

Alan Smith contract ends in June 2012. He won't be missed.

Contract end dates taken from: -

http://www.nufc.com/2011-12html/squad.html