sunderland

JH

Nah haris, it was the final game of the season after everyone else had finished and like the originally abandoned game it tipped it down, would've been called off if they didn't just want to get it out the way.

In answer to the question who out of them and us has the highest league attendance record:

allow me to help you there ned, i believe its sunderland with a record home crowd of 76,000. that's 69,000 more than newcastle's record crowd of 7,000 against wrexham, but who's counting.

newcastle's was obviously a different type of record but a record nonetheless.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=707430&page=15#ixzz1xCNQD6c6

:idiot2:

Comparing our lowest attendance with their highest.  Well, that's one way of managing to come out on top :lol:

Can we compare our 68,386 attendance against Chelsea in 1930 against their 8,003 attendance vs Plymouth in 1989?  Or their 6,904 against Barnsley in the FM Cup in 86?

They're just completely barking mad.. :lol:

I was actually at that Wrexham game, it was played at a time when football crowds were very depressed in general, it was a midweek game played after the season had ended as it was an outstanding postponed game iirc. Basically no one was interested and it was like a friendly.

In my lifetime Newcastle have always had amongst the (if not THE) best attendance in any league they played in at a particular time. Drawing on a gate from a particular era is wholly unrepresentative in any argument unless taken in the context of gates in general at the time. Whether our average was 22,000 or 50,000 you will find it is always at the top of the crowds during that particular season.

I can not remember Sunderland ever having a higher crowd than us in living memory even when they were briefly in a higher league than them we showed them up for the fickle fans they are. Their own legendary chairman Tom Cowie lamented about how much more loyal and passionate we were and nothing has changed since.

More salient to Sunderland fans should be why their gates are dropping like a stone over the last few seasons despite a succession of "messiahs" in charge and how depressing it must be to know that your stadium will never be filled again unless either the north east's biggest football club, Take That or Cold Play are in town.

Nah haris, it was the final game of the season after everyone else had finished and like the originally abandoned game it tipped it down, would've been called off if they didn't just want to get it out the way.

Spot on Madras as I said in my subsequent post.

In macum logic however it encapsulates everything you need to know about Mag support and how no one ever went to SJP before 1992.

I do find it strange that football differs to all other areas when it comes to who is the biggest. For me it should just go off people through turnstiles/shirt sales/TV subscribers, something tangible with regards to number of fans, simple as that. I can't think of any other area where it's not a question of who has the most fans/sells the most things.

For example biggest car company is the one that sells the most cars.

Same for music, might not always be an indicator of how good the artist is but the number of fans/records sold is the answer to who is the biggest band/Artist.

I'd consider the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes 'bigger' car companies than most others btw, they don't sell the most cars...

Also you'll get some absolute s**** that that have sold more records (especially recently) than some absolutely massive all-time artists.

I hope you aren't comparing Sunderland to Ferrari and Mercedes  ;)  :lol:

Rover at best!

I do find it strange that football differs to all other areas when it comes to who is the biggest. For me it should just go off people through turnstiles/shirt sales/TV subscribers, something tangible with regards to number of fans, simple as that. I can't think of any other area where it's not a question of who has the most fans/sells the most things.

For example biggest car company is the one that sells the most cars.

Same for music, might not always be an indicator of how good the artist is but the number of fans/records sold is the answer to who is the biggest band/Artist.

I'd consider the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes 'bigger' car companies than most others btw, they don't sell the most cars...

Also you'll get some absolute s**** that that have sold more records (especially recently) than some absolutely massive all-time artists.

I'd say that is more to do with who is better not who is bigger.

ah the eternal and pointless whos a bigger club than who debate, my 2 cents for what its worth (nothing)

I don't really try and break down too much in a 123 etc but go by categories in size of club and I'd put us in the same one as Spurs Villa Everton and yes even Sunderland, all around the same level of club and all realistically competing for the level below the top clubs.

ah the eternal and pointless whos a bigger club than who debate, my 2 cents for what its worth (nothing)

I don't really try and break down too much in a 123 etc but go by categories in size of club and I'd put us in the same one as Spurs Villa Everton and yes even Sunderland, all around the same level of club and all realistically competing for the level below the top clubs.

I can accpet that group- tho I would qualify it by putting us as the biggest in that bunch of bigness and Sunderland as teh smallest, in the shared group- why they have a problem with this , I have no Idea.

Any reference on there to highest average attendances, highest aggregates, how many times we've finished above them (my guess would be 2 to 1 in our favour in my lifetime) , how many seasons we've averaged higher.....also any system that places huddersfield as bigger than spurs is a lie and a pathetic attempt at self justification.

Any reference on there to highest average attendances, highest aggregates, how many times we've finished above them (my guess would be 2 to 1 in our favour in my lifetime) , how many seasons we've averaged higher.....also any system that places huddersfield as bigger than spurs is a lie and a pathetic attempt at self justification.

i think 2 to 1 is being a bit optimistic for them tbh.

Since I was born we've finished above them 32 times to their 13.

More importantly than that though is the gap.

Facing Barcelona in the CL and battling for the title

vs

struggling in a lower league

is a slightly larger difference than finishing 1 point above your newly promoted rivals.

Or, when your rivals are relegated in 18th, you finishing in a stonking 16th, only surviving on the last day yourselves.

It's barely comparable.

i think 2 to 1 is being a bit optimistic for them tbh.

well in my lifetime we have finished above them 31 times- them 13 times above us.

edit- just seen madras figure-  :lol:

also there a hell of a lot more top 7 finishes in ours- maybe 2 ,7th places for them.

vs

is a slightly larger difference than finishing 1 point above your newly promoted rivals.

Or, when your rivals are relegated in 18th, you finishing in a stonking 16th, only surviving on the last day yourselves.

It's barely comparable.

Yeah but 9-1.

vs

It's barely comparable.

Yeah but 9-1.

:lol: Superby played.