sunderland

JH

I think it's pretty simple for MON, he's a good coach, tactically aware and good motivator.

Get's found out with his signings though which on a whole are shambolic. Doesn't paint him in great light as knowledgeable person of the game.

Guest bimpy474

Have i just read that right ?. Artie paid £8m for Warnock...pahahahahahahahahahaha ;D

After seeing he paid 10m for Curtis Davies and 8.5m for Nigel Reo-Coker i refuse to be surprised by this man's transfer dealings anymore.

I've had this argument at work with an Arsenal fan who loves Artie  :idiot2:

He is an overated manager with little scouting knowledge, he plays god awful percentage football. Consistently buys poor players for ridiculous prices. Also something else i dont get about him, he is charmless, totally boring too, why the hell is he on TV so much baffles me. Arsenal fan says thats not true.

Im guessing it's the Clough connection that sees him held in such high esteem by the media (TV). Think he is living on borrowed time too, can't really see him ever doing better than he did at Villa. It will be interesting to see where he ends up after Sunderland. I suspect he is more expensive than a lot of managers.

I think he is going to get found out by modern football, if you cant change like Fergie has then you will be regarded as a old time manager.

Artie seems unable to rotate and without a modern outlook on footy. It'll be funny as feck watching over the coming season i reckon.

I think it's pretty simple for MON, he's a good coach, tactically aware and good motivator.

Get's found out with his signings though which on a whole are shambolic. Doesn't paint him in great light as knowledgeable person of the game.

I think Brummie might have something to say about him being a good coach; as for tactically aware, I'm not sure you could be further from the truth. :lol: Even his motivational skills didn't seem to last too long last season.

I think Brummie might have something to say about him being a good coach; as for tactically aware, I'm not sure you could be further from the truth. :lol: Even his motivational skills didn't seem to last too long last season.

The majority of fans would have been happy for us to have MON before Pardew arrived.

The mackems should stick by him as he's the best manager they are going to get by a long shot.

I don't think he knows a great deal about tactics. It's very simple counter attacking stuff- a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, staying tight and compact without the ball, using the pace of wingers as the main outlet (Young, Agbonlahor, McClean  and Sess at Sunderland).

That's not saying much, most people couldn't stand the sight of Pardew when he first came through the door. :lol:

And possibly, although I think it's destined to all end in tears for everyone concerned and I still think you've tried to praise him for two things that are actually two of his biggest flaws.

I don't think he knows a great deal about tactics. It's very simple counter attacking stuff- a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, staying tight and compact without the ball, using the pace of wingers as the main outlet (Young, Agbonlahor, McClean  and Sess at Sunderland).

So he plays that formation throughout his managerial career without chopping and changing depending on the opponent? Give over.

Yes he has found a formation that he used at villa and can use with the mackems, doesn't mean to say he sticks with it game in game out. If that's an effective tactic for him of course he is going to use it.

Everyone slates him on here, yes his transfers can be looked and laughed at, some of them are a shambles but there is no denying he is a very good manager. The bloke hasn't failed at any club, he left Celtic and Leicester as a legend. Villa fans hate him for walking out and being huffy. They weren't complaining when he was finishing top 7 on a regular basis. Look where they are now.

So he plays that formation throughout his managerial career without chopping and changing depending on the opponent? Give over.

Yes he has found a formation that he used at villa and can use with the mackems, doesn't mean to say he sticks with it game in game out. If that's an effective tactic for him of course he is going to use it.

Every time I watched them last season they played like that.

I don't think he deviates well from that style tbh. It's been successful mostly, and it's usually tough to break down, but I think he's quite limited in terms of mixing things up. For example I could imagine him struggling to work round a team that came and parked the bus or tried to do what his teams do. 

Everyone slates him on here, yes his transfers can be looked and laughed at, some of them are a shambles but there is no denying he is a very good manager. The bloke hasn't failed at any club, he left Celtic and Leicester as a legend. Villa fans hate him for walking out and being huffy. They weren't complaining when he was finishing top 7 on a regular basis. Look where they are now.

Norwich?

Norwich?

Your actually counting Norwich as a club he has failed at  :facepalm:

Just like Keegan and Ashley, never going to work. Keegan's not a failure.

Norwich?

Was there 5 months or something?

There is no boubt he is a okay to good manager.

Decent results all over.

Unfortunately he has not evolved over the last years.

From wiki:

Norwich City

O'Neill became manager of Norwich City in June 1995,[7] and left the club in December, due to differences with club chairman Robert Chase over the potential signing of striker Dean Windass, during his first stint at Hull City for £750,000.[8]

Guest firetotheworks

Brummie has already said many times that Villa fans were complaining when they finished 7th and that he's partly responsible for where they are now.

He's not a bad manager, he's just a limited manager with a very apparent ceiling. They will overspend & play very predictable tactics, but he will motivate effectively pre-match and will probably get them hovering between 10th and 8th for a few seasons before getting in a fight with the owners for spending too much money and then leaving.

I remember predicting he'd go for either K.Davies, Doyle, Fletcher, Heskey or Agbonlahor and as far as I know they've all been linked and he's bidding £12m for one of them :lol:

You don't even need to be a fan of a team he's managed before, he's just that predictable.

Norwich?

Decent results all over.

From wiki:

Norwich City

O'Neill became manager of Norwich City in June 1995,[7] and left the club in December, due to differences with club chairman Robert Chase over the potential signing of striker Dean Windass, during his first stint at Hull City for £750,000.[8]

So left in a huff then, like KK always gets battered with.

Brummie has already said many times that Villa fans were complaining when they finished 7th and that he's partly responsible for where they are now.

Just like when we were complaining at Bobby, well the majority were. When looking back he was actually still doing a job.

Easy to blame the manager in charge when expectation is rising then when it all goes wrong blame the chairman for letting him leave or blame the manager for leaving a bunch of crap behind.

Norwich?

Decent results all over.

From wiki:

Norwich City

So left in a huff then, like KK always gets battered with.

I do not blame KK, because i love him.

But i would not judge MON because of that, as i do not know the full details about what happened.

Based on his results in Leicester, Celtic and Villa its fair to call him a decent manager, but not good.

I do not rate him, but his results are not that bad compared to a lot of other British managers imo. 

I don't think he deviates well from that style tbh. It's been successful mostly, and it's usually tough to break down, but I think he's quite limited in terms of mixing things up. For example I could imagine him struggling to work round a team that came and parked the bus or tried to do what his teams do.

http://images.clicklancashire.com/admin/article/articleimages/1265970285-Sam%20Allardyce%20(laughing).jpg

Guest firetotheworks

Just like when we were complaining at Bobby, well the majority were. When looking back he was actually still doing a job.

Easy to blame the manager in charge when expectation is rising then when it all goes wrong blame the chairman for letting him leave or blame the manager for leaving a bunch of crap behind.

Completely different. Bobby's time was coming to a close, but it was not backing him fully and then giving fucking Souness £50m to compensate for his shit managerial capabilities that coloured our hindsight.

I do not rate him, but his results are not that bad compared to a lot of other British managers imo. 

This is the kicker for me.

The whole managerial merry-go-round is just so fucked up compared to any other employment. Managers repeatedly fail, are fired, paid off... and then in a new job before the end of the month. This is a system where Alex McLeish can relegate a team, and then immediately take over at their local rivals.

In this world, Martin O'Neill is one of the better bets as far as managerial appointments go... and he's ridiculously flawed.

He's about as short-term a manager as I think there is in the league.

Playing the same 11 every week win lose or draw is probably why by March his teams tend to lose every game that's left, and yet he never realises that.