Newcastle 1 - 1 Sunderland - 04/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 42

Beren

Well that was garbage. As a match it's awful, and we've been worse. At least Sunderland have passed it about a bit. Definite penalty, and they probably deserve to be in front purely on the basis of better passing and far more effective tactics.

I spotted Ba telling Colo and Krul to keep the ball on the deck very early on and we've simply not done it. So is that the players ignoring the manager and even each other and playing it long regardless, or are these our tactics? Something needs to change, their defenders are strolling it and we've only looked a danger from set pieces. I'm expecting things to carry on as they are with Shola coming on around 75mins. At least if we're not going to play football he might hold the ball up better.

In this match, as long as we don't lose I don't really give a f*** how we do it. But going forward, questions have to be asked. This long ball s**** isn't getting us anywhere, and is far too easily neutralised by the opposition regardless of their quality.

Problem with our 'direct' play is that it's very straight. Also, if Ba or Cisse do manage to get it they need a midfielder running towards them to play it off to. Our instructions are clearly though for the midfield 2 to remain deep at all times. Makes it very difficult.

Guest MrSundlofer

I want a double substitution. Ben Arfa for Jonas, and Obertan for Taylor. Ben Arfa on the left flank, Obertan on the right flank.

Again I don't understand why everyone is so quick to criticise Pardew when half our players don't even look like being able to control and pass a football.

If you play a right back in midfield and call him an icon what do you expect?

Again I don't understand why everyone is so quick to criticise Pardew when half our players don't even look like being able to control and pass a football.

mainly because there is a good majority of the team that we know are perfectly capable of being able to do so and excel at it. This has been going on for months. Should have been fixed in training and addressed a long time ago. That is Pardew and the Coaching teams responsibility and fault.

No lack of effort from the players, lack of a clue and refinement of an attacking sense.

Guest elbee909

I think this is a ploy by Ashley, to subconsciously plant the word 'Direct' into people's heads.

Guest Spark

Long ball can't work when our centre mids are too deep to pick up the second ball. It's easy for them right now with the extra man in midfield.

Krul

Simpson        Williamson    Coloccini    Santon

Tiote      Cabaye

Ben Arfa                  Jonas                Ba

Cisse

inclined to agree, but i'd have Ba up top and Cisse roaming out wide as he is far more mobile. Further away from the box Ba gets the less effective he becomes.

Cisse far more mobile than Ba? Based on what exactly?

Well that was garbage. As a match it's awful, and we've been worse. At least Sunderland have passed it about a bit. Definite penalty, and they probably deserve to be in front purely on the basis of better passing and far more effective tactics.

I spotted Ba telling Colo and Krul to keep the ball on the deck very early on and we've simply not done it. So is that the players ignoring the manager and even each other and playing it long regardless, or are these our tactics? Something needs to change, their defenders are strolling it and we've only looked a danger from set pieces. I'm expecting things to carry on as they are with Shola coming on around 75mins. At least if we're not going to play football he might hold the ball up better.

In this match, as long as we don't lose I don't really give a f*** how we do it. But going forward, questions have to be asked. This long ball s**** isn't getting us anywhere, and is far too easily neutralised by the opposition regardless of their quality.

Problem with our 'direct' play is that it's very straight. Also, if Ba or Cisse do manage to get it they need a midfielder running towards them to play it off to. Our instructions are clearly though for the midfield 2 to remain deep at all times. Makes it very difficult.

Correct. It's made worse caue there is no contact with the CM's.