Swansea City 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg 39

Dave

I do find the way that they play a bit dull and it's not the way I'd like to see us play, but many on here seem to be basing their opinion on Swansea's tactics solely on today's performance - I have seen them play with much more purpose and attacking threat in other games when they have used their wingers much more effectively than they did today. I find the idea that their style is somehow anti football and deserving of comparison with Stoke pretty laughable.

agree with this. they may well have been found out, particularly at home.

They've beaten Man City and Arsenal and drawn with Chelsea and Tottenham in the last month so no idea where this 'back where they belong next year' stuff has come from.

Don't know what the hell you've been smoking for the last month, like. Fair play, though.

Last year should have said. Point still stands though.

It really doesn't, though. Home wins against Arsenal and City are great until you consider they've only won another 4 games at home. Draws against Chelsea and Spurs mean nothing, to be honest.

They've had a decent season. Plenty of teams have come up and done the same, before being relegated.

It means something because it goes against the 'all possession, no end product' nonsense. They're getting very good results against excellent teams. Do you remember Spurs beating us 5-0?

Anyone else find Swansea as boring as feck, it was like watching Racistpool play some Bulgarians in Europe in the 70's, fantastic ball retension granted.

They're a horrible team to watch and a nothing club.

horrible to watch ? thats cack.

In your opinion it is. I don't enjoy that rubbish and thankfully we'll probably have to endure it another two times before they're back where they belong.

what don't you enjoy about possession football and movement ? if i were a nuetral i'd rather watch swansea then much of what we played this season.

Enjoy your Scott Parker football, it's f***ing s**** to watch and gets you f*** all in terms on impact in games.

yet teams best results tend to come when they dominate possession and it's what YOU wanted when you were crying about hoofball.

There's a difference between more passing on the deck and attacking with speed and technique and being direct which is what we all wanted its pleasing on the eye and its effective.

Possession football ( atleast the Swansea version) is boring as hell and i would personally never want to see us playing it.

Possession in the final third is what matters not passing backwards and sideways in the back 4 .......

Under Keegan we played some fantastic stuff and we never resorted to passing backwards and sideways more than whats needed which i personally always wanted to see ball on the deck but direct.

This 70% s*** but hardly create any chances is personally not for me and i cant believe anyone here would want to see it.

lol come on lets get real lets not make out like swansea fires blank every game judging by how they played in this one game they saw of them.

ofcourse we thought they were boring because we weren't allowed to see our own team string 3 passes together.

Not really i find possession football boring unless you have direct players to provide something different ( like Messi at Barca).......

and when i say possession football i mean pass to a stand still..... passing it backwards and sideways just to keep the ball.

For the record i have watched Swansea on quite a few times this season and cant say watching them excites me.

As already mentioned much rather see football on the deck but direct with your passes and trying to force the issue.

Instead of keeping the ball to stop the opposition from scoring like Swansea do.

i prefer that method of defending though if our team is ahead, rather than backs to the wall job and being ran ragged by the opposition.  at least it takes a lot less energy out of your own team.

They've beaten Man City and Arsenal and drawn with Chelsea and Tottenham in the last month so no idea where this 'back where they belong next year' stuff has come from.

Don't know what the hell you've been smoking for the last month, like. Fair play, though.

It really doesn't, though. Home wins against Arsenal and City are great until you consider they've only won another 4 games at home. Draws against Chelsea and Spurs mean nothing, to be honest.

They've had a decent season. Plenty of teams have come up and done the same, before being relegated.

It means something because it goes against the 'all possession, no end product' nonsense. They're getting very good results against excellent teams. Do you remember Spurs beating us 5-0?

ronaldo's reply will be , "yah but we also manage a draw vs spurs"

Anyone else find Swansea as boring as feck, it was like watching Racistpool play some Bulgarians in Europe in the 70's, fantastic ball retension granted.

They're a horrible team to watch and a nothing club.

horrible to watch ? thats cack.

In your opinion it is. I don't enjoy that rubbish and thankfully we'll probably have to endure it another two times before they're back where they belong.

what don't you enjoy about possession football and movement ? if i were a nuetral i'd rather watch swansea then much of what we played this season.

Enjoy your Scott Parker football, it's f***ing s**** to watch and gets you f*** all in terms on impact in games.

yet teams best results tend to come when they dominate possession and it's what YOU wanted when you were crying about hoofball.

There's a difference between more passing on the deck and attacking with speed and technique and being direct which is what we all wanted its pleasing on the eye and its effective.

Possession football ( atleast the Swansea version) is boring as hell and i would personally never want to see us playing it.

Possession in the final third is what matters not passing backwards and sideways in the back 4 .......

Under Keegan we played some fantastic stuff and we never resorted to passing backwards and sideways more than whats needed which i personally always wanted to see ball on the deck but direct.

This 70% s*** but hardly create any chances is personally not for me and i cant believe anyone here would want to see it.

lol come on lets get real lets not make out like swansea fires blank every game judging by how they played in this one game they saw of them.

ofcourse we thought they were boring because we weren't allowed to see our own team string 3 passes together.

Not really i find possession football boring unless you have direct players to provide something different ( like Messi at Barca).......

and when i say possession football i mean pass to a stand still..... passing it backwards and sideways just to keep the ball.

For the record i have watched Swansea on quite a few times this season and cant say watching them excites me.

As already mentioned much rather see football on the deck but direct with your passes and trying to force the issue.

Instead of keeping the ball to stop the opposition from scoring like Swansea do.

i prefer that method of defending though if our team is ahead, rather than backs to the wall job and being ran ragged by the opposition.  at least it takes a lot less energy out of your own team.

Yh i accept that and thats fine and i actually would encourage that in the scenario you describe but Swansea do it from the first second to the last.......

I cant believe people are saying they'd refuse Swansea's style of play compared to ours of even only a month ago :lol: They're no Barcelona but they keep the ball well and generally stick to their philosophy. I don't know why people can't just appreciate the way they play without going overboard one way or the other. They're not perfect by any means but they attempt to play the game the right (or modern) way. Kudos imo.

Not really like, in terms of the football they've played.

Blackpool were brilliant to watch last season, but I cannot remember a side out passing Premiership sides in the way Swansea are. They're class to watch

blackpool were entertaining cause it was "chaaaaarge" whenever they had the ball.

Guest ToonZA

The problem they have is that by holding on to the ball, or side ways passes in their half merely gives the opposition time to get behind the ball and maintain their defensive formation. In a way they are forcing the opposition into parking the bus. This situation is exercebated on their home patch by the fact that most teams outside the top 6 are setup more cautiously away from home anyway.

At the moment they do not possess the required skill and creativity to unlock a packed defence and unless they can bring in players of real quality - which would be difficult with their budget - I cannot see them getting the results that all their possession stats suggests they should be getting.

But I dont think they will be relegated simply because they are difficult to beat unless teams are as clinical as we were today and there are not many of those around.

I like watching teams who combine good passing and possession with a cutting edge. So after a few minutes of being impressed by their passing and movement, I find myself wondering whether after all this foreplay, I am actually gonna get laid.

I cant believe people are saying they'd refuse Swansea's style of play compared to ours of even only a month ago :lol: They're no Barcelona but they keep the ball well and generally stick to their philosophy. I don't know why people can't just appreciate the way they play without going overboard one way or the other. They're not perfect by any means but they attempt to play the game the right (or modern) way. Kudos imo.

swanseas style of play wouldn't fit us, it wouldn't get best use from what we have, their style may well change with differing personnel.

My team is 5th, unfortunately for you. Us drawing with Spurs has nothing to do with that excuse for a football team we played yesterday.

When you play the way Swans play at home, if you lack that attacking cutting edge then the longer the game goes on, or if you don't score first, the tougher it becomes. Away from home its slightly different as the initiative isn't completely on them.

I do admire the way Swansea keep it on the deck and the results they've managed, but I would like to know when it was decided upon that the "right" way to play football is to pass the ball 100 times in the first two 3rds before even considering penetrating the defence  ???

Surely, from a fan's point of view, the "right" way to play football is to keep it on the deck while attacking as often as possible. Having said that, talk of a "correct" style of football is one of my pet hates.

Maybe if we hadn't defended as well there would have been more incidents/action in our penalty area? Had we not kept our shape and intercepted their attempted passes into dangerous areas then there would have been more action.

Never mind.

The problem they have is that by holding on to the ball, or side ways passes in their half merely gives the opposition time to get behind the ball and maintain their defensive formation. In a way they are forcing the opposition into parking the bus. This situation is exercebated on their home patch by the fact that most teams outside the top 6 are setup more cautiously away from home anyway.

At the moment they do not possess the required skill and creativity to unlock a packed defence and unless they can bring in players of real quality - which would be difficult with their budget - I cannot see them getting the results that all their possession stats suggests they should be getting.

But I dont think they will be relegated simply because they are difficult to beat unless teams are as clinical as we were today and there are not many of those around.

I like watching teams who combine good passing and possession with a cutting edge. So after a few minutes of being impressed by their passing and movement, I find myself wondering whether after all this foreplay, I am actually gonna get laid.

yert they've done enough with that style to survive comfortably this season with imo a worse group of payers than many of the clubs below them.

swanseas style of play wouldn't fit us, it wouldn't get best use from what we have, their style may well change with differing personnel.

Maybe so, and I do agree with what you are saying. I was thinking during the game how most of their players would look pretty poor in our side the way we play. The personnel available general dictates (or limits) the systems you can play.

My team is 5th, unfortunately for you. Us drawing with Spurs has nothing to do with that excuse for a football team we played yesterday.

fixed: my team is 5th but doth do protest too much

Drawing at home to Spurs and Chelsea are very good results against excellent teams?

Yeah, OK.

Yes, for a team that's just..

Been promoted? Nobody is denying that Swansea have had a great season by their standards. Why you're bringing that into it I don't know.

I do admire the way Swansea keep it on the deck and the results they've managed, but I would like to know when it was decided upon that the "right" way to play football is to pass the ball 100 times in the first two 3rds before even considering penetrating the defence  ???

Surely, from a fan's point of view, the "right" way to play football is to keep it on the deck while attacking as often as possible. Having said that, talk of a "correct" style of football is one of my pet hates.

swansea will have better days,  they were'nt at their best today obviously.

seriously its not like they got smashed 5 goals past them by a team like fulham.