The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

Guest Roger Kint

According the sizes recorded with the Premier League Chelsea's pitch is 67.5 metres wide. Which is 50 cm less than Barcelona as the uefa standard is 68m. So this narrow pitch stuff is bollocks, just looks tighter because of how close the stands are. It is 2 metres longer though.

Ours is the same as the Nou Camp. And Wembley before someone brings up how big that is.

The Uefa standard is a minimum, you sure Barca's is that size?

Edit: Google says 105 x 68 so yes

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah Uefa are wanting all games to be on same size pitch, so some had to reduce. Has been like that for at least 5/6 seasons. Teams that don't have that size, but do have space to do it, have to change as Stoke did for Europa League.

I thought Stoke took advantage of Uefa allowing smaller than PL rather than having to do it. Ie make even more use of their throw ins.

Guest Roger Kint

No in Prem their pitch is tiny but had to make it bigger for uefa games.

Just realised I probably put you away as I mentioned Stoke after saying some teams had to reduce theirs. Barca and Madrid did, but Stoke have to make theirs bigger.

Aye i was getting mixed up, for some reason i had it the other way round

Guest neesy111

Thought Chelsea did well, but they did ride their luck.

Cesc had an absolute mare and Alexis needs to know how to finish.  I'd say Barca are favourites still with their ridiculous home record this season

I thought Chelsea were poor in footballing terms. They created so little and only then because of Barca's high line. They almost never created anything themselves apart fron for the goal. Defensively they kept a very good shape but even then the only reason they're in the tie is because barca missed five gilt-edged chances. not giving either side too much praise for last night, will save it for when Barca snuff them out at the Nou

It's either a problem or a great feature of football (depending on your view) that destruction/defence can overcome creativity/attack.

I think it's OK as long as it doesn't happen too often. It'll certainly be interesting to see how Barca try to get through them in the second leg.

Saturday's slate of games:

Arsenal v Chelsea

Us v Stoke

QPR v Spurs

Clasico

:sweetjesus:

Fucking hell :fwap: :lol:

And Ipswich have fucking Millwall which means I have to work the afternoon as well as the night because they want extra staff in case the scumbags kick off. Fucking cunts making me miss that day of football ffs.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think that's the real story - how off form Barca were. Sure Chelsea's gameplan worked (one which is becoming increasingly familiar against Barcelona), but Barcelona had several chances that they wasted.

I think that's the real story - how off form Barca were. Sure Chelsea's gameplan worked (one which is becoming increasingly familiar against Barcelona), but Barcelona had several chances that they wasted.

Thier gameplan only worked because of Barca's awful finishing, it wasnt like 09 were they restricted Barca to f*ck all....

It was a case of Barca missing the chances and Chelsea taking thiers, quite simple really.

Thier gameplan only worked because of Barca's awful finishing, it wasnt like 09 were they restricted Barca to f*ck all....

It was a case of Barca missing the chances and Chelsea taking thiers, quite simple really.

Well to a point, but didn't they also have less chances because of Chelsea's gameplan? If Chelsea had played open they might have created double the chances and almost certainly scored a couple.

Well to a point, but didn't they also have less chances because of Chelsea's gameplan? If Chelsea had played open they might have created double the chances and almost certainly scored a couple.

In a sense yh, but at the same time they didnt struggle to break them down..... they created 5 or 6 easy chances that they would usually put away and 2 or 3 half chances....

Even if they took half of those chances they would have scored 2 or 3 goals, to me Chelsea's tactics wasnt won them the game it was Barca's crap finishing and the fact Chelsea took their only chance.

I would agree with Ian - it'd be a disservice to Chelsea's performance yesterday to say Barcelona simply spurned chances and that was the story of the game. The fact is Cech wasn't that busy, and Chelsea did so well in the whole at blocking Barcelona efforts, closing down space and levering Barcelona players off the ball that they felt pressured into snatching, slicing and skying their shots when they finally found openings. It takes a lot of hard work and good play to get players of that quality to be so panicky with their feet.

Barcelone have always been quite profligate (relative to the amount of chances they create) but at no point did they have a second or two to stop the ball and prod it into an empty net or anything like that. Chelsea weren't repeatedly cut open again and again.

Sporting: Rui Patricio, Joao Pereira, Anderson Polga, Xandao, Insua, Andre Martins, Daniel Carrico, Schaars, Izmailov, van Wolfswinkel, Diego Capel. Subs: Marcelo, Onyewu, Evaldo, Carrillo, Bruno Pereirinha, Neto, Rubio.

Athletic Bilbao: Iraizoz, Iraola, Ekiza, Amorebieta, Aurtenetxe, Iturraspe, De Marcos, Susaeta, Ander Herrera, Muniain, Llorente. Subs: Raul, Toquero, San Jose, Gabilondo, Koikili, Ibai, Ramalho.

Interested to see Diego Capel. Was/is pretty highly rated but appears to have stalled a bit.