Use of goal-line technology approved by FIFA

Guest je85

:lol: Bloody hell, it's a minefield then.  Definitive technology is a yes, replays that will not necessarily be definitive and will possibly disrupt the game and/or bring more flak on to the referees is a no.  I hadn't realised you were talking about football politics but I'd hope that FIFA would back this technology after noises they've made recently.

I just can't see how it will be restricted to goal-line beeps for long.

For example, a beep goes off in the referees ear, a goal is disallowed. The TV company check if the decision was right with a replay, with that replay they see the goalscorer was clearly offside. Suddenly the offside is the key decision, and the debate extends to using technology for that.

It might not happen that often I guess, but then neither do disputed goal-line decisions.

Guest neesy111

For example, a beep goes off in the referees ear, a goal is disallowed. The TV company check if the decision was right with a replay, with that replay they see the goalscorer was clearly offside. Suddenly the offside is the key decision, and the debate extends to using technology for that.

It might not happen that often I guess, but then neither do disputed goal-line decisions.

You are correct about that.  Hence why in cricket and tennis you get 2 challenges to stop every decison being challenged.

If the FA weren't allow to call up decisions after a game is been completed on tv which the ref has missed then I'd be 50/50 for cameras in the game.  They have opened up for everything to be challenged by that IMO.

Guest neesy111

:lol: Bloody hell, it's a minefield then.  Definitive technology is a yes, replays that will not necessarily be definitive and will possibly disrupt the game and/or bring more flak on to the referees is a no.  I hadn't realised you were talking about football politics but I'd hope that FIFA would back this technology after noises they've made recently.

If FIFA do back it, then the next question is who stumps for it?  So much to happen before its impacted in the game.

I'm totally bored by this discussion in football. It's such a small part of the % of mistakes. If people want technology in, I'd bet incorrect offside decisions contribute to a lot more goals than goalline stuff.

Exactly.

Tend to agree. I am generally in favour of using technology for goal line decisions (only; I certainly wouldn't want it for anything else), but realistically I can't see how it would stop there.

I'm not a fan of the 'each team has X challenges' argument either, I hate that in other sports, especially tennis.

If technology is going to be used then it should be all about getting the right decision and a just outcome. I don't think it makes sense to limit it to a certain number of times a game, the logic doesn't make sense. Or to place it in the hands of participants (managers) rather than impartial observers.

Tend to agree. I am generally in favour of using technology for goal line decisions (only; I certainly wouldn't want it for anything else), but realistically I can't see how it would stop there.

thats my position. last night was actually a good example when the comentator announced that the backroom bbc boys analysed it and said it was over the line but the player who played the final pass was offside.

don't mind the idea of goal line stuff but don't think it would stop there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Still think a 4th official watching it on TV is the way to go like, but this is still much better than nothing.

Not sure if i'm happy about this or not. Hope it just stays at the international tournaments.

Think if it came to the premier league it would spoil the game. Everyone knows once this is in place it's not going to end here. There will be calls for it to come for big decisions then it will be like tennis when a manager can challenge and so forth.

It's all about the money these days and FIFA have caved in to the votes simply because winning and losing is such a fine line and it could cost a club/country a hell of a lot of money from something that can be decided on a TV screen after a few minutes.

Guest neesy111

Still think a 4th official watching it on TV is the way to go like, but this is still much better than nothing.

Damn sight cheaper as well.

Wouldnt worry about it not ending here. People use the example of someone offside leading up to a goalline decision, but what likely % of goalline decisions would that make up? Not very many atall. Itll be to rare for people to care enough. You cant avoid sorting 90% of issues because 10% will still be wrong.

Not sure if i'm happy about this or not. Hope it just stays at the international tournaments.

Think if it came to the premier league it would spoil the game. Everyone knows once this is in place it's not going to end here. There will be calls for it to come for big decisions then it will be like tennis when a manager can challenge and so forth.

It's all about the money these days and FIFA have caved in to the votes simply because winning and losing is such a fine line and it could cost a club/country a hell of a lot of money from something that can be decided on a TV screen after a few minutes.

I´m amazed that people still can thing this. For me it´s not a question.

got a lot of stick in the euros, which I can agree with somewhat. But I think a lot of people has misunderstood them. There are not allowed at all to show emotions or moments. There job is only to talk to the referee, which then makes the decision. Because this was something they got a lot of criticism.

Guest Realist

First they came for the goal line technology and I said nothing, because I was not a goal line.

• 7 months later...

First they came for the goal line technology and I said nothing, because I was not a goal line.

Exactly.

I don't understand why goal line decisions should be so special, when many other game-deciding decisions will not be subject to review.

They should just have a video referee permanently reviewing pictures, constantly in radio contact with the ref, and be done with it.

Exactly.

I don't understand why goal line decisions should be so special, when many other game-deciding decisions will not be subject to review.

They should just have a video referee permanently reviewing pictures, constantly in radio contact with the ref, and be done with it.

Well IMO, decisions which historically could go one way or another were not subject to the subjective assessment of the referees/officials for the lulz, it was because there was no way to objectively know whether the ball had crossed the line or not. This is no longer the case and it is a very remediable deficiency of the game. There's nothing inherently nostalgic or sentimental about shit disallowed goals or goals that never were :lol:

We'll probably always argue the toss over tackles etc, and that's fine. This isn't like that though whatsoever IMO. It is black and white.

Anyway, I wonder if this will eventually be implemented at every professional level of the game.

Simply because the technology is there and works. If there was a technological solution to offside, that would be in play as well. Also it is virtually impossible for officials to have certainty over a goal-line decision while keeping in a position to watch the game. It's physically impossible and it's entirely factual whether the ball has crossed or not. They should use it for all ball in-out situations and leave the officials to worry about matter of opinion.