Your Europa League Team?

Crumpy Gunt

no set team. try and integrate some of the youngeters without playing a reserve team, resting first teamers as necessary, also maybe use the opportunity to try out something different (3 centre halves etc)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9426553.stm

http://files.sharenator.com/1262764895263_More_Pics_and_Gifs-s286x237-53294-580.gif

no set team. try and integrate some of the youngeters without playing a reserve team, resting first teamers as necessary, also maybe use the opportunity to try out something different (3 centre halves etc)

http://files.sharenator.com/1262764895263_More_Pics_and_Gifs-s286x237-53294-580.gif

we also went to 3 at the back against bolton when down to 10 men and were much the better team. pretty sure there have been results this season to slag off the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. i'm not proposing to bring it in as standard but it could be handy to have our players with real game experience of it.

That's the game where Harper had a stinker and failed to make a save all match, as well as gifting them the second just after HT IIRC

We have the players who can come and do a job but I'd be worried if started having more than two "Perchs" in the team. The likes of him and Raylor are alright to come in and do a job but if you start selecting all of our back up players, we will come unstuck.

As someone suggested, play full strength, other than for fitness and injuries. Although, it would be great to see some of the young guns given a chance.

I'd try and go with a fairly strong squad with the odd bairn thrown in. Something like:

Krul

Santon - Coloccini - Williamson - Fergie

Gutierrez - Abeid - Vuckic

Marv - Cisse - HBA

:thup: Hoping we'll really see Abeid and Vuckic prosper in the cups next season.

Priority for me:

Europa League play-off

Premiership/Europa League 'proper'

FA Cup

League Cup

I would be looking to blood more of the 'youngsters' into the domestic cup competitions (depending on the draw, obviously) while making sure we qualify for at least the group stages of the Europa League.

If we're successful in getting to the knockout rounds of the Europa League then it surely depends on how we're doing in the league...somewhere midtable and why not send the first team out in the cups (best way to QF for Europe again)...if we're challenging for top 4 then maybe keep a couple of the players who are playing through knocks and strains away from the aeroplanes.

Play a damn good side. Not necessarily your strongest every game (depending on injuries and the such) but you're taking the piss if you work all season to get where you did, then play a piss poor team once you get there.

It's Europe. Revel in it, make the most of it.

Play a damn good side. Not necessarily your strongest every game (depending on injuries and the such) but you're taking the piss if you work all season to get where you did, then play a piss poor team once you get there.

It's Europe. Revel in it, make the most of it.

:thup: although we should be playing our strongest team all the way to the group stage.

With a few good additions to the squad this summer we should be able to have a good go at this next year.

Take it seriously and try to win the fucking thing, that was the point of qualifying in the first place surely? Yes, we'll need to rest players from time to time but rather than resting the whole starting eleven at once you rest a couple of them at a time, when you feel the individuals need it.

Let's say, for example, we sign Amalfitano, Hoilett, Pieters and Douglas this summer, with none of our good players leaving.

You have three games in a week coming up, you feel that for most of the lads that'll be too much.

Instead of just sacrificing one of the games and hoping the reserves get a result, you do something like this over the three games

Krul

Santon    Taylor    Colo      Pieters

Tiote    Amalfitano

Jonas

Ben Arfa                              Ba

Cisse

----------------------------

Krul

Perch    Douglas    Colo    Pieters

Tiote    Cabaye

Marveaux

Hoilett                                Ben Arfa

Ba

----------------------------------------

Krul

Santon    Taylor  Douglas    Perch

Cabaye  Jonas

Marveaux

Hoilett                                  Ba

Cisse

------------------------------

There's three sides that I'd expect to give a good game to most teams, with nobody except Krul featuring in all three.

And that's not taking into account that players like Obertan might be improved next year, or that Sammy, Abeid, Ferguson or Vuckic might take the step up and become useful squad players, or that Coloccini is made of steel and doesn't need to be rested.

If we try and half arse our way through the Europe League we'll be out early, no question. Same applies for the Carling Cup and FA Cup in my eyes. If you feel some of the young lads are ready then give them a go, by all means. But one or two at a time.

I want to see us win something. That should be the primary goal next year. Qualifying for Europe gives us an extra competition in which we can achieve that. If we don't give it a proper fucking shot it'll be a disgrace.

Work hard all season to qualify for Europe so we can field a shit team and get put out as early as possible.  #mackemlogic

How about instead we actually try to win the fucking thing, jesus.  With a few additions there's no reason why we can't have a strong enough squad to play 2 games a week.

Guest BooBoo

Work hard all season to qualify for Europe so we can field a shit team and get put out as early as possible.  #mackemlogic

How about instead we actually try to win the fucking thing, jesus.  With a few additions there's no reason why we can't have a strong enough squad to play 2 games a week.

Exactly. This horror of "OMG two games in a week!" is just a recently developed nonsense.

How many games did we play in 02/03? How many players did we use? Still finished third and got to the second group stage of the CL.

My favourite is when the excuse is used for an FA Cup run.

Must play weakened side due to the INFINITE INJURIES you'll get from playing potentially 4 or 5 extra games over 4 months. Jonny Hall knows what I'm on about. :snod:

The first team with a couple of alterations to line-up to keep it fresh, i.e Marveux in for Jonas, Williamson in for Saylor.

On a totally unrelated note, I really hope we don't get a team in a racist country like Russia. It would be heartbreaking to see players like Shola, Sammy, Cisse, Tiote and Ba treat that way.

• 6 months later...