Ashley - Undercutting NUFC Club Shops.

Crumpy Gunt

They may be undercutting the club  but how many sales to sports direct stores do we get for them having to stock all over the uk? 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

Club shops are always more expensive than shitty SD and JJB stores. You have zero idea of sales figures, so it's impossible to say whether higher prices is worse for NUFC.

Another shite thread.

And Rachel. Obviously.

Guest dazzanufc1892

I prefer to buy mine from the club shop, feels more special to me if you rock up early on match day, get the new shirt, have it printed, and wear it for the first time to the game. I always get more pride putting it on before the game outside the stadium. So, price doesn't really bother that much to me.

The fact is ashley makes a large profit from shirts in his store, so much it probably keeps them where they are, he isn't going to be good old friendly mike and keep shirts at the same prices as club stores, otherwise dave whelan & co would have him out of business. Sports direct was his long before NUFC, just something we have to accept.

and of course, rachel

The one in Eldon Square is closing down correct?

Both the Sports direct and NUFC stores are supposed to be relocating elsewhere in Eldon Square.

Sports direct wanted to close the Eldon Square store and retain the Monument mall store but Monument mall kicked them out for there refurbishment, it's unclear if Sports direct will be going back there when it reopens. I heard a rumour a while ago that Sport direct have got another location inside Eldon Square tied up but are waiting for the occupier to move out, both the Guess and the Hollister stores have been rumoured.

NUFC are relocating elsewhere in Eldon square, again they are rumoured to be waiting on a retailer moving out.

This might of be some interest: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=92778832&postcount=5146

the most interesting thing in all of that doesn't concern NUFC at all.  Its that they've finally decided to modernise the entrance to Eldon Square.

Apart from where it says NUFC will be relocating elsewhere and one of the two new double height units could possibly (if you put rumour with rumour) be a Sports direct store.

Guest firetotheworks

Can we lock this?

If it's isn't I don't think my 'Ctrl+Z or edit-undo? Discuss' thread has any chance of taking off tbh.

Guest Tyson

The notion that SD (and Ashley) are riding the club's coat-tails (ie. it's strength of brand, as rebuilt by this regime's predecessors) is correct. Although it's occurring on a larger scale, to an bigger detriment of the club - financially. The OP has copped a dismissively raw deal.

Point in case is SD's bonus scheme, where Ashley is the chief beneficiary of (and due a 20m+ bonus). This has been achieved on the back of SD meeting a set of EBITDA targets (earnings before interest tax, depreciation and amortisation). The established set of targets have been achieved on the back of (and justafied) SD's extensive & free advertising (with it's accrued publicity & almost exclusive presence) it receives, courtesy of Ashley's affiliation with NUFC as owner of.

In an era where the EPL (and it's major clubs) is so commercially viable as far as clubs being able to attract a string of attractive sponsorship deals, our current Virgin deal is probably far-reaching as it gets. Anything wider-scale (such as Ashley handing over stadium naming rights) compromises SD's dominant, almost exclusive presence (where it's volume of free, almost exclusive publicity is factored into it's EBITDA equation) & it's ability to meet the targets as set out in aforementioned bonus scheme.

It's something to mull over (in the event of boasting that SD & NUFC are entirely separate entities) when the club is being deprived of potential advertising revenues, the club's priority aim is to be 100%  financially self-sufficient  (with a 10th place league positioning attached) .

Do our club shops sell our shirts for much more or less than any other clubs? Don't think so.

Do SD sell other clubs shirts for the same price as they sell NUFC shirts? I think so.

People who want to buy from the club shop always will do, and people who maybe can't afford it shouldn't be penalised just because they support Newcastle when it comes to buying from SD.