The 2012/13 Betting Thread

Neil

It's less likely that you'll win the bet at 4-3 than at 4-2, so your cash-out amount will reflect that

Doesn't less likely = longer odds?

I mean I realise that him taking the money means he won even when his bet didn't come in, but it seems back to front to me that as something gets less likely you stand to win less money.

But why would you get more money from cashing out when it's looking likelier that you will lose the bet, as opposed to when you're looking relatively safe to win it?

Because you're liable to lose it completely if Everton equalise. The risk increases, which is the whole principle behind betting, surely.

From the betting companies point of view, the chance you'll cash out at Man U 4-2 Everton is pretty slim, therefore they can stand to offer a larger proportion of what you'd stand to win. As soon as it goes to 4-3 and Everton look like they might get a draw from the game, more people will think about cashing out and therefore they offer you a lower amount to compensate for that fact. You have to remember the betting company holds all the power here, and it's a bit like Ashley-style brinksmanship in that they can offer a fairly naff sum to you and you'll still consider it because the chance of ending up with nowt is far greater.

Aye I get it now. Still think it's crummy at best. Just trying to scare you into taking the cash out offer instead of seeing out your bet which presumably costs them much more if you win. Sure, sometimes (as the example in the advert) something is better than nothing, but it's pretty devious IMO.

It's less likely that you'll win the bet at 4-3 than at 4-2, so your cash-out amount will reflect that

I mean I realise that him taking the money means he won even when his bet didn't come in, but it seems back to front to me that as something gets less likely you stand to win less money.

But why would you get more money from cashing out when it's looking likelier that you will lose the bet, as opposed to when you're looking relatively safe to win it?

Because you're liable to lose it completely if Everton equalise. The risk increases, which is the whole principle behind betting, surely.

From the betting companies point of view, the chance you'll cash out at Man U 4-2 Everton is pretty slim, therefore they can stand to offer a larger proportion of what you'd stand to win. As soon as it goes to 4-3 and Everton look like they might get a draw from the game, more people will think about cashing out and therefore they offer you a lower amount to compensate for that fact. You have to remember the betting company holds all the power here, and it's a bit like Ashley-style brinksmanship in that they can offer a fairly naff sum to you and you'll still consider it because the chance of ending up with nowt is far greater.

Aye I get it now. Still think it's crummy at best. Just trying to scare you into taking the cash out offer instead of seeing out your bet which presumably costs them much more if you win. Sure, sometimes (as the example in the advert) something is better than nothing, but it's pretty devious IMO.

I don't see that tbh. Basically the commercial advantage that they're trying to push is the Customers ability to control their bet in real time and decide when to cash it in. There's no obligation to.

It works both ways, yes they may pay out less but any return is better than no return to a gambler. If anything, in the event everyone embraced the concept their returns would probably be less due to gamblers using their site becoming more risk averse - i.e: cashing in their chips at the first sign of danger. There's probably a living to be made in that if you were switched on enough.

£5 on Juve & PSG to return about £24.60

Which one's going to f*** up then?

PSG

:( Got excited at my over 2.5 and draw bets involving them when I saw this. Thought Valencia had equalised.

:lol:

sorry.  Just I've took them as a single so fully expect them to implode.

I don't see that tbh. Basically the commercial advantage that they're trying to push is the Customers ability to control their bet in real time and decide when to cash it in. There's no obligation to.

It works both ways, yes they may pay out less but any return is better than no return to a gambler. If anything, in the event everyone embraced the concept their returns would probably be less due to gamblers using their site becoming more risk averse - i.e: cashing in their chips at the first sign of danger. There's probably a living to be made in that if you were switched on enough.

Surely the returns via that method are significantly lower than you stand to actually win, or else everyone would do it and Betfair would lose a fortune.

Surely the returns via that method are significantly lower than you stand to actually win, or else everyone would do it and Betfair would lose a fortune.

Betfair don't set the odds, you're taking the odds that other punters set so they only make money from commission.

Anyone going for Boro tonight? (At home to Leeds). They've lost their last 5 league games...... maybe they're due to break that run?

2.15 MR. 1.50 DNB.

Fuck off Boro, what you're doing?

Are you having a laugh? :lol:

Just checked the score, it's 0-0 ffs. :lol: Seriously Dinho.

I'm not sure what the best bit is. He's bet on Boro, who have lost 5 in a row and he's having a go at them.

And he's having a go at Boro, who have lost 5 in a row, and the score is a truly catastrophic.... 0-0. :lol:

Actually I also had BTTS in that game and when I saw Dinho's comment of "what are you doing Boro?" I thought there'd at least been a goal but no, he was just that annoyed at a team who've lost 5 in a row not suddenly winning. Damn it, Dinho.

Ah yeah. Still, there has to be some benefit in it for them.

Just a little gimmick that they want to push I'd imagine, not sure what they gain from it.

They gain the customers through the attraction of being able to 'manage' your bets live. If you're gambling big money on say Man Utd tomorrow and they go one up but are looking really dodgy at the back, you may wish to cash in your chips and take the money. A guaranteed return and no more stress.

I can certainly see the attraction to it. Sporting Index do the same thing with goalscorer numbers etc. It's pretty exciting watching the 'exchange/market' move and deciding what to do with your bet.

Actually I also had BTTS in that game and when I saw Dinho's comment of "what are you doing Boro?" I thought there'd at least been a goal but no, he was just that annoyed at a team who've lost 5 in a row not suddenly winning. Damn it, Dinho.

Sorry, dude. I'll make myself a bit more clearer next time. For the sake of the thread's etiquette. :thup:

Ah yeah. Still, there has to be some benefit in it for them.

Just a little gimmick that they want to push I'd imagine, not sure what they gain from it.

Betfair takes a min 5% commission on all their markets in the exchange so if the backer or layer wins,they still make money.

Obviously traditional bookies only make money when you lose so Betfair have quickly become one of the biggest around.

Cash out option is just a quicker way of trading.

Tonight's bets

Sheff Utd @ 7/5

Celtic @ 4/1

PSG @ 21/10

Trixie, 4 bets * £5.00

Middlesbrough @ 23/20

Hartlepool @ 17/20

Celtic or Draw @ 1/1

Trixie, 4 bets * £5.00

Sheff Utd @ 7/5

£50.00 Single