La Liga 14/15

Disco

Bloody hell, Betis are in real bother. Lost 0-2 at home to Bilbao and had two players sent off. Rock bottom with 14 pts and 11 adrift. Not looking good. Although, they're in the knock outs of the UEFA, managed a draw with Rubin Kazan the other night :lol: Shame though, I do like them. Passionate set of fans.

I saw the game since I like watching Athletic. Betis are going down. They were let down today by some poor refereeing and the stupidity of a couple of their players. Perquis was unlucky to concede a penalty after inadvertently tripping up Kike Sola outside the box, but was daft lunging into an opponent a few minutes later to get a second yellow. Reyes was similarly sent off for the verdiblancos in the second half. Sola then clearly handled the ball in his own box when Betis were already down to 9, but the refs somehow didn't see it. A pen would have pulled them level.

I was impressed by the nearly 30, 000 in attendance for a club in the doldrums. They still have higher attendances than Sevilla. The ultras had turned their backs to the pitch by the end though.

If the league was more competitive there would be far more interest and pride in who wins it, until then it stays a two horse race in which both Barca and Madrid are not too worried about losing it one year as the next year they have another 50% chance of getting it, neither will be a year or so from winning it. May be the most technically excellent league in the world but it's blooody boring with regard to who wins it every year. It's actually nice that Atletico are up there challenging, but we all know they will sell off their star player(s) in the summer to be able to sustain themselves, therefore leavng the two heavyweights to slug it out the following year.

That is probably why the CL trumps it, it is also a much more competitive and tense competition for them both as they are not guaranteed to even reach the finals suchg is the level of the teams there.

Ancelotti working his magic it seems, anyway. Be amazed if they don't win comfortably now.

Working his magic? Your love for him is more obnoxious than David28 and Mourinho. They have by far the strongest squad in the league and aren't exactly leading the league because of their own magic, it's more down to Barcelona absolutely crumbling since beginning of this year with 4 wins 2 draws 2 losses.

I think it will be an extremely tight race between all three clubs. If Atletico can beat Real at home in the next league fixture they'll gather momentum and I think they'll be there about come end of the season. Barcelona looked excellent against City and then terrible against Sociedad, and they really need to stop the rot in the league and win 6-7 on the trot if they really want to win the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Was seriously impressed by Javi Guerra yesterday for Valladolid. Saw he signed for Cardiff as well for next season. I know he's 31 but he ran like Tevez and seemed technically very intelligent. Hope Cardiff stay in the PL just so I get to see more of him. What's your opinion of him VI?

Always been a good player, his main problem being that he's the kind of player that always looks good on and off the ball yet somehow he isn't as impactful as he should be. He seems red hot this season, though, good to see he'll make some good money in the tail end of his career.

Ancelotti working his magic it seems, anyway. Be amazed if they don't win comfortably now.

It is truly magical.

Not like Mourinho set a single season points and goals scored record while beating Pep's Barcelona to the title or anything with this squad (less the additional 170 million pounds worth of talent they added this year of course).

It is truly magical.

Not like Mourinho set a single season points and goals scored record while beating Pep's Barcelona to the title or anything with this squad (less the additional 170 million pounds worth of talent they added this year of course).

I've never disputed that Mourinho is a very good manager. He is. One of the top three in the world. Mourinho's starting Madrid Xl was as good or better than this one, arguably, anyway.

If the league was more competitive there would be far more interest and pride in who wins it, until then it stays a two horse race in which both Barca and Madrid are not too worried about losing it one year as the next year they have another 50% chance of getting it, neither will be a year or so from winning it. May be the most technically excellent league in the world but it's blooody boring with regard to who wins it every year. It's actually nice that Atletico are up there challenging, but we all know they will sell off their star player(s) in the summer to be able to sustain themselves, therefore leavng the two heavyweights to slug it out the following year.

That is probably why the CL trumps it, it is also a much more competitive and tense competition for them both as they are not guaranteed to even reach the finals suchg is the level of the teams there.

Eh? Manchester United have won the PL 13 times out of 22. It's been a decade since a team other than Man Utd not backed by oil money has won the PL. We've had 5 PL winners in 22 years, the same amount as La Liga.

We even largely have the same 5 teams in the CL year after year.

Atletico sold Falcao and got better as a team. Their ceiling is more determined by style of play and lack of rotation than anything else.

• 1 month later...

Always been a good player, his main problem being that he's the kind of player that always looks good on and off the ball yet somehow he isn't as impactful as he should be. He seems red hot this season, though, good to see he'll make some good money in the tail end of his career.

Almost scored a volley/bicycle kick yesterday. Seriously impressed everytime I watch him, must be lucky to get him on his good days.

Key word here is "almost". It's always "almost" with Javi Guerra.

That said, he's had a very good season. But he's 32 already so not much left in the tank by this point.

Still, can see him doing well in the Championship :thup: