La Liga 14/15

Disco

He was in Real Madrid C until now, which means he wasn't deemed good enough. It's where they send all their second tier youth prospects that can later be sold to lesser teams or fill in at Real Madrid Castilla in a pinch. True prospects like Jesé or Carvajal never set foot at Real Madrid C.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.football365.com/spanish-thing/9583161/Rayo-Vallecano-The-World-s-Greatest

Rayo Vallecano: The World's Greatest

Forget Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for a minute and instead glory in the wonder of Rayo Vallecano...the club that has saved an old lady from the streets...

Even before Rayo Vallecano stepped in this week to give a vital helping hand to one of the most vulnerable members of its community, the Madrid club was amongst the greatest in the world.

Whilst the double record-breaking Leo Messi and the ongoing exploits of media-absorber extraordinaire, Cristiano Ronaldo, continue to dominate the agenda, a story concerning the huge heart of a true people's club also pinged around the planet to tug a few heart-strings.

"I am beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable, it has all grown in a way I did not expect," were the thoughts of modest manager Paco Jémez, who began the whole affair. He saw on television the story of Carmen Martínez Ayuso, an 85-year-old woman evicted from her home by a predictably heartless bank after her son put her house up as collateral on a business deal that went wrong.

Jémez spoke to the team's players and bosses and an institution that is proud of its working-class roots immediately flew into action to raise money and awareness for Carmen's case, including an initial pledge to pay her rent wherever it may be for the rest of her life.

On Thursday, an announcement was made that a permanent fund would be set up for Carmen and that 5% of the ticket sales of Rayo's next home game would also be made available. For a struggling club that has almost no money to give away in the first place, it was an admirable act of charity. "She is someone from the barrio, a neighbour, you would have to be cold-hearted not to help," said club president Martín Presa.

This kind of direct action to help the helpless is by no means out of character for left-leaning Rayo Vallecano. Anti-government, pro-social cause banners are a regular feature of the Ultras, along with protests against objectionable kick-off times which sees entire stands empty for the benefit of Friday or Monday night cameras. "You'll never walk alone," is sung from the stands in English, and the supporters truly mean it.

Rayo truly is the club of a community which suffered enormously during Spain's seemingly endless economic crises, with most inhabitants of the neighbourhood to the south of the city in the working-class bracket with a large percentage made up of immigrants from Africa and South America. All this has helped to make Vallecas stronger as a barrio with memorable scenes a couple of years ago of neighbours grouping together to forcibly block access to police and bailiffs to houses and flats of other victims of banking cruelty, no matter the country of origin of those affected.

Whilst life continues to be a struggle for most people of Vallecas, the situation is shared by Rayo. But the team continues to battle the odds of the drop each season to flourish. Each year sees a huge overhaul of the squad with anyone of true talent being sold on to bring in much-needed funds with journeymen and free transfers being used to fill the playing ranks.

Somehow this policy continues to succeed, thanks mainly to the inspirational Paco Jémez, whose tactical approach of attacking, attacking and then attacking some more works out over the 38-game season, despite some wallopings along the way. Rayo currently sit in 11th, four points clear of the relegation zone. The next challenge for a club that is happy to move itself away from the limelight to return to football is an away trip to Almería, as run of the mill as it gets in Spain.

Whilst Leo Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo continue their Primera duel with the clubs preening and pomping to the planet of their glory, Rayo Vallecano will carry on its focus on being a local club for local people, and being as proud as punch for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Sevilla's president has revealed what he claims is the draft of the new collective TV deal that La Liga will approve before the end of the season:

50% of all money split in equal parts.

25% distributed according to final league position.

25% distributed according to TV ratings of each team.

Sounds good to me, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sevilla's president has revealed what he claims is the draft of the new collective TV deal that La Liga will approve before the end of the season:

50% of all money split in equal parts.

25% distributed according to final league position.

25% distributed according to TV ratings of each team.

Sounds good to me, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Does the agreement need all clubs to agree for it to pass?

If so why would Barcá and Real agree to this?

They don't; they only have 3 votes (Barça, Madrid, and Barça B); they have been able to block previous initiatives because the other clubs have never agreed themselves on a model (Atlético and Valencia, for example, have often voted with the big guys since they themselves are at a big advantage over the smaller clubs).

The Spanish government has threatened with implementing it via sports law if there isn't an agreement.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.football365.com/spanish-thing/9583161/Rayo-Vallecano-The-World-s-Greatest

Rayo Vallecano: The World's Greatest

Forget Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for a minute and instead glory in the wonder of Rayo Vallecano...the club that has saved an old lady from the streets...

Even before Rayo Vallecano stepped in this week to give a vital helping hand to one of the most vulnerable members of its community, the Madrid club was amongst the greatest in the world.

Whilst the double record-breaking Leo Messi and the ongoing exploits of media-absorber extraordinaire, Cristiano Ronaldo, continue to dominate the agenda, a story concerning the huge heart of a true people's club also pinged around the planet to tug a few heart-strings.

"I am beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable, it has all grown in a way I did not expect," were the thoughts of modest manager Paco Jémez, who began the whole affair. He saw on television the story of Carmen Martínez Ayuso, an 85-year-old woman evicted from her home by a predictably heartless bank after her son put her house up as collateral on a business deal that went wrong.

Jémez spoke to the team's players and bosses and an institution that is proud of its working-class roots immediately flew into action to raise money and awareness for Carmen's case, including an initial pledge to pay her rent wherever it may be for the rest of her life.

On Thursday, an announcement was made that a permanent fund would be set up for Carmen and that 5% of the ticket sales of Rayo's next home game would also be made available. For a struggling club that has almost no money to give away in the first place, it was an admirable act of charity. "She is someone from the barrio, a neighbour, you would have to be cold-hearted not to help," said club president Martín Presa.

This kind of direct action to help the helpless is by no means out of character for left-leaning Rayo Vallecano. Anti-government, pro-social cause banners are a regular feature of the Ultras, along with protests against objectionable kick-off times which sees entire stands empty for the benefit of Friday or Monday night cameras. "You'll never walk alone," is sung from the stands in English, and the supporters truly mean it.

Rayo truly is the club of a community which suffered enormously during Spain's seemingly endless economic crises, with most inhabitants of the neighbourhood to the south of the city in the working-class bracket with a large percentage made up of immigrants from Africa and South America. All this has helped to make Vallecas stronger as a barrio with memorable scenes a couple of years ago of neighbours grouping together to forcibly block access to police and bailiffs to houses and flats of other victims of banking cruelty, no matter the country of origin of those affected.

Whilst life continues to be a struggle for most people of Vallecas, the situation is shared by Rayo. But the team continues to battle the odds of the drop each season to flourish. Each year sees a huge overhaul of the squad with anyone of true talent being sold on to bring in much-needed funds with journeymen and free transfers being used to fill the playing ranks.

Somehow this policy continues to succeed, thanks mainly to the inspirational Paco Jémez, whose tactical approach of attacking, attacking and then attacking some more works out over the 38-game season, despite some wallopings along the way. Rayo currently sit in 11th, four points clear of the relegation zone. The next challenge for a club that is happy to move itself away from the limelight to return to football is an away trip to Almería, as run of the mill as it gets in Spain.

Whilst Leo Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo continue their Primera duel with the clubs preening and pomping to the planet of their glory, Rayo Vallecano will carry on its focus on being a local club for local people, and being as proud as punch for that.

Missed this when posted originally :thup: love anything like this.

FWIW, the greatest line up I've ever seen is

Victor Valdes

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Sergio Busquets/Javier Mascherano

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

The impact that team had in 08/09 (was it?) on me was unreal. I'd never seen football on that level before, even though the peak of it was probably the 5-0 vs Real Madrid with an altered front line.

Got to be the best performance I've seen from any time attacking wise against opposition of that standard.

It comes to something when your midfielders are doing double backheeled one-twos against Real Madrid. I had that saved on the Sky box for almost a full year. The quality was the highest I've ever seen. That through ball by Messi to David Villa as well. :sweetjesus:

Saying that, the 6-2 at the Bernabeu was unreal as well.

I think the 2-6 was probably better. Watched the extended highlights the other week for some reason (Henry IIRC). Could have easily been twice as many.

Continuing this on to here.

The 2-6 was unreal as well. First time Messi had been hoyed in as a false 9 as well wasn't it? Remember Cannavaro and Metzelder just didn't have a clue what to do.

Mental as well that Ferguson didn't think that Pep were to do the same in the Champions League final straight after.

Did you used to mutter insults to those snobby c***s from the capital in Catalan just because it felt like the right thing to do?

I have lots of stories from my time there :lol:

For starters, my boss was a personal friend of Florentino Pérez, and I was the single Barça fan in the office. We won two leagues and a CL while I was employed by them, I on't think I ever had so much fun in an office job :lol:

Gonna try to keep this thread more active.

This week saw us getting a balsamic win over Atlético de Madrid, which will ensure Luís Enrique's future in the short term. With an election called at the end of the season (which the current board won't win), it's very unlikely that he'll get sacked unless things go real pear-shaped. Actually Enrique got one over Simeone by deploying Messi on the right, were he faced inexperienced Gámez and ran riot all night.

Madrid disposed of Espanyol (useless c***s), and somehow Bale managed to get booed despite scoring a great FK and giving a great assist, for the crime of not passing it to Ronaldo when he was clear on goal.

Elsewhere, Alves stopped another penalty (he's over 50% stopped penalties at the moment, ridiculous), although Valencia conceded a draw. That's the problem with them; they pull off great results like beating Madrid or Atlético (and almost drawing against us), but they drop points against much lesser opposition. Sevilla nailed another win and piped 4th place off them.

Missed the Real game but Bale has been poor consistently for awhile now. I don't think he's ever convinced the Madrid faithful but it didn't matter when he was getting those big goals.

His probem is that he's not very involved in matches. You want him to dominate the game, run the fullback ragged, run the CB's ragged but he doesn't. He'll look dangerous - burst into life/have a shot and maybe score but then you won't see him for ages. It doesn't help that he's decided he's too good to defend or chase back either.

The crowd turning on him seemed inevitable.

Just looking at different players stats per minutes and CRonaldo is actually involved in a goal every 40mins this season in the La Liga. Involved in 35 already (26 goals including 8 penalties, 9 assists) Those are crazy numbers considering he's played less than Messi this season.

Messi involved every 65mins (which is ridiculous as well) and Neymar every 69mins and Benzema 78th. Suarez at nearly 100mins and Bale 110mins (meaning CRonaldo is involved in almost three goals in the same time as Bale is involved in one)

VI are we expecting anymore transfer dealings this window, particularly Valencia?

They are in talks to get Lavezzi on loan, apparently.

Don't expect any other moves at the top. There's talk of Ilarra going on loan to Athletic, but even though they aren't using him Madrid are short in that position.

VI are we expecting anymore transfer dealings this window, particularly Valencia?

They are in talks to get Lavezzi on loan, apparently.

Don't expect any other moves at the top. There's talk of Ilarra going on loan to Athletic, but even though they aren't using him Madrid are short in that position.

I hear Napoli would also like Lavezzi back but I wonder if this is more fan sentiment than actuality.

Given Athletic have just built a magnificent new stadium how is their financial position, I can't help but think Ilarra could get his career back on track there.

Their financial position is pretty fine. They got plenty of help from the local and regional governments to build their new stadium - which has prompted an inquiry from the UE - so it has hardly affected their finances. The sale of Herrera left them with a large profit, too. Being rich doesn't really help them that much, though, except when paying over-the-odds for basque talent.