La Liga 14/15

Disco

Will their new ground help/hinder them or will it be rented?

It's funded by the sale of the Calderón, which sits on pretty valuable land.

They paid part of the price using football tickets, though :lol:

What they going to do with the Calderon?

Always a shame to see an iconic, city centre ground fall by the wayside.

Will their new ground help/hinder them or will it be rented?

It's funded by the sale of the Calderón, which sits on pretty valuable land.

They paid part of the price using football tickets, though :lol:

What they going to do with the Calderon?

Always a shame to see an iconic, city centre ground fall by the wayside.

Skyscrapers, of course.

http://estaticos04.elmundo.es/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2014/07/17/14056221064359.jpg

New stadium will be in the outskirts of the city, and closer to the white part of town than to the traditionally colchonero neighborhoods.  It's gonna suck, but I guess it's the way forward long term. The Calderón was old and couldn't be upgraded given its placing near the river and atop a major road.

Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin has bought 20% of Atlético's shares for €45m. That's interesting. Atlético's finances are all kinds of f***ed up (the success of the past years and ensuing big ticket sales have probably saved the club), so they need shoring up if they want to mount a continued challenge at the top.

Atlético's chairman has just said that they needed the investment to sustain day-to-day operations. They are so fucked.

VI, do the Spanish press/public had any qualms about Atletico's defensive/direct style of play? Obviously it is incredibly effective, but in Spain nearly all teams at every level want the ball and want to get it down and play.

Simeone has become a bit more expansive this season, especially at home vs. lesser teams, but the core principles of the system remain.

Later this month begins the trial for alleged match-fixing between Levante and Zaragoza a few seasons ago. In the bench there will be - among several others - Ander Herrera and current Atlético captain Gabi.

Gotta say that, in order to get a conviction, the evidence that's been made public looks rather weak.

Rumours of match-fixing in the low rungs of La Liga have been rampant for a few years, and the public prosecutor has been trying to get an exemplary conviction for ages. So far, it hasn't happened due to lack of evidence.

Griezmann getting better...

Been fantastic recently; I didn't quite realise how good he was: suits Athletico to a tee

Big game for Barca tomorrow away at San Mames: win and the momentum is well and truly with them

I see Real Sociedad are 10th if they see this one out. Moysey seems to be doing a canny job.

Spoke to soon. He's not doing too great.

People say he's too conservative, score one goal and then protect the lead. They paid for it yesterday.

Anyway, he's improved results over his predecessor, just not massively. Still early days.

I see Real Sociedad are 10th if they see this one out. Moysey seems to be doing a canny job.

Spoke to soon. He's not doing too great.

People say he's too conservative, score one goal and then protect the lead. They paid for it yesterday.

Anyway, he's improved results over his predecessor, just not massively. Still early days.

He's got some good players at his disposal. I can't see him going very far with this group of players at least due to the reasons stated above.

The team's clicking. There was a lot of instances earlier in the season where we tried playing at higher tempo and the attack would just break down, for example, as the players weren't used to it - which in turn would generate counters. The front three is gelling too and our attack right now is very fluid. So there's more to it than just twatting small teams, since the same small teams were giving us more trouble earlier in the year.

We'll see when we face better teams (we managed Atlético quite well, though). I do believe that our defensive system isn't up to snuff to face the attacking threat of some of the top teams, but at least we have some teeth now.

The team's clicking. There was a lot of instances earlier in the season where we tried playing at higher tempo and the attack would just break down, for example, as the players weren't used to it - which in turn would generate counters. The front three is gelling too and our attack right now is very fluid. So there's more to it than just twatting small teams, since the same small teams were giving us more trouble earlier in the year.

We'll see when we face better teams (we managed Atlético quite well, though). I do believe that our defensive system isn't up to snuff to face the attacking threat of some of the top teams, but at least we have some teeth now.

good stuff, you'll just have to keegan-it for another year and try to score everyone off the pitch with your ludicrous front line :D