La Liga 14/15

Disco

That he felt Benitez focused much more on defensive solidarity for his attackers than he would've liked? Aye. that's the point.

that's also what he's good at.

Well IMO it's says that Babel thought he was better than he was and that he should have been given a free role like the way Gerrard was at times even though he clearly wasn't a good enough player to be allowed the freedom not to defend

Guest firetotheworks

I really disliked Benitez's Liverpool like. They had such a good spine but always had horrible, horrible wide players.

I'll never ever understand any manager that deliberately tries to replace Xabi Alonso with Gareth Barry either. I hated the way that they huffed and puffed their way to wins, I really hated watching them.

The first thing I thought when I heard Benitez linked was how much of a wrong fit his style is for Ronaldo, mind. Real in general, actually.

He's a very good manager with superb tactical acumen but, simplistically put, like Mourinho it's generally all based on stopping rather than causing the opposition problems and just leaving that to 1 or 2 players.

Guest firetotheworks

Mourinho has always had good, attacking wide players though, that's the huge difference for me. Aside from that though, definitely.

Benitez European & cup record is brilliant but I agree with everything being said.

on Sky - Gary Neville t alks of the Benitez/Mourinho era with such glee. Granted it helped get English sides to be the best in Europe. Outside of Barcelona you would fancy the old top 4 to beat any side in Europe for 2-3 years. But my word, was it boring as duck. Playing style wise - I hate them both.

Mourinho's Real scored for fun but this Ancelotti side of the last 2 years has been much better on the eye.

Guest firetotheworks

Mourinho's Chelsea with Duff and Robben on the wings were an absolute joy to watch for a season, but after that I can't think of a time I've ever enjoyed watching a Mourinho team like.

Ironic that Ronaldo's unwillingness to defend is one of the reasons they haven't won as much as they perhaps should.

While he's the reason they are as good as they are he's also a reason why the fall short, playing on the left and practically playing like a striker causing imbalance to the team and better teams exploit it.

Not to mention Marcelo isn't a very good defender to start with, I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez went there he'd play him upfront and eliminate the issues it causes defensively.

Guest firetotheworks

Arbeloa is stealing a living as well imo. Absolutely shit as a player in terms of playing for a team like that. Can't stand him.

Arbeloa is stealing a living as well imo. Absolutely s*** as a player in terms of playing for a team like that. Can't stand him.

True :lol: I personally don't think that much of Carvajal either though tbh. Come to think of it actually fullbacks in general.

Ironic that Ronaldo's unwillingness to defend is one of the reasons they haven't won as much as they perhaps should.

While he's the reason they are as good as they are he's also a reason why the fall short, playing on the left and practically playing like a striker causing imbalance to the team and better teams exploit it.

Not to mention Marcelo isn't a very good defender to start with, I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez went there he'd play him upfront and eliminate the issues it causes defensively.

Disagree. There's probably been 1 season where Madrid haven't won the title and they haven't been up against the best side in European football since Ronaldo has joined - Mourinho's last.

I don't think his lack of defensive cover is a massive problem, Marcelo/Coentrao rarely get exposed by better teams. IMO their over-reliance on Ronaldo in the clutch is a bigger disadvantage. For such a majestic team, they are over-reliant on Ronaldo. Only last season, when they won 2 cups did other players consistently step-up in big moments.

There's also an over-focus on the CL for them. That competition is won by such fine margins to focus on it to such an extent. They were excellent in the season they lost to Bayern on penalties.

Obviously FCB is the biggest reason he's not won as much as he might've hoped for.

Just the 4 league titles, 2 CL's & 3 National Cups.

Just watch the games almost every team exploits the fact Marcelo is facing 2 v 1s constantly and there's no left winger.

It's irrefutable, almost every opposition attack goes down that side. Doesn’t help the fact that Bale tries to do the same thing. Unless you have a crazy work horse like Di Maria who can cover the entire left side of the pitch he needs to play upfront.

Juventus exploited it, Barca exploit it regularly, Dortmund exploited it. Hell even lesser teams who can't stop them from scoring exploit it. Only time it hasn't been exploited was when Ancelotti basically told Di Maria to cover him defensively.

Madrid were at their best last season when Bale was injured because it allowed them to play Isco and James on the wings and Ronaldo alongside Benzema, it's no coincidence.

Marcelo was arguably Madrid's best player against Juve. He pushes the other fullback and winger back so they rarely attack and that's what happened often in that second leg. Best player in the second leg and created chance upon chance. Including the ball to James for the penalty. The header Bale should've scored and a few more.

Often in bigger matches Ancelotti played with Ronaldo upfront with Benzema. With a number of players filling in at LM.

James and the team played their best football when James was central during their 22 unbeaten run that's where he mostly played.

Bale being horrendous in every way after the New Year was a bigger factor in their demise. As was fatigue/lack of rotation and lack of options at CM.

Juve scored 1 goal from an open play move. Ronaldo scored twice in that tie. Dortmund outplayed Real. If memory serves none of the Bayern goals came from Real's left. Ronaldo also scored twice in that tie. Barcelona beat Real when they are simply the better side overall.

Brought a couple of shares in Oviedo when they were selling them online, was hoping to get into following them a little but just never have. Glad they've gone up but I got more of a buzz that I put them on a accumulator at 5/1 when it was HT and they won rather than them being promoted, it might give me a kick start to taking an interest now though.

Rafa confirmed. Hopefully, he succeeds. He has my full support. If he can get the best out of the attacking players but eradicate the sloppy mistakes along with getting in De Gea - Real should see silverware of some type next season.

Just feels like yesterday's man.

Extremely important for the city of Madrid and Rafa himself that they have your support. :thup:

Looks like Elche are likely to be relegated due to their debt with the taxman. Eibar would keep their place in La Liga if that happened.

However, Elche are likely to appeal to regular courts if this happens.

Ah fuck.

Rafa confirmed. Hopefully, he succeeds. He has my full support. If he can get the best out of the attacking players but eradicate the sloppy mistakes along with getting in De Gea - Real should see silverware of some type next season.

Extremely important for the city of Madrid and Rafa himself that they have your support. :thup:

You don't have to be a silly guy every day Flip.

You don't have to be a silly guy every day Flip.

;)

Man, remember the shit that the Barca board got for not signing a new CB and RB? Turns out they may have known what they were doing after all. :lol:

Football's crazy. Everyone thought Barca would go into a rebuild, spend 2 or 3 years patching things up. I even read comments saying Messi should leave because he's wasting his prime at a rebuilding club.

They're going to win a treble after all of that. And the DoF is gone! :lol: