Junior Hoilett finally joins QPR

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't we already have enough Hoilett type players? Marveaux, Obertan Ben Arfa Sammy Am plus a rake of 'kids' are all in that pacer wide attacker mold. Can't see us being bothered unless it's just to make money on. Not that I have a problem with that whole making money thing. I reckon it could be a smoke screen.

Think we need a pacey striker that can cover that LF/RF slot that Demba was playing in. Not sure that Sammy is the answer, not yet at least.

JH is very much a 4-3-3 player in just the positions you describe. What's his work rate like? We talking Scott Parker or Laurent Robert?

I think and hope that is the type of striker we are looking at. Given the amount of Wingers we have been linked with I think that is where we are looking to sign a player.

We have Ba, Cisse and *cough Ameobi that can play in the center so I think we can do without signing another out and out striker, at least until January when we will know if we are losing Cisse and Ba for a month or not. 

Guest Geordiedog

"playing for the best national side he can rather than sticking with the country that raised him. I can understand that, "

I'm not jingoistic but I can't understand players wanting to pick and choose their country. I know it happens but it's beyond my understanding. If it becomes common place then the whole concept of internationals will be bent out of shape.

I think......

You are correct the whole concept is somewhat disgusting to me. It is difficult to enforce, but if you have moved to a nation with sole purpose of furthering your football career, you should not be allowed to play for that nation.

That Douglas fella from Twente is up to some similar shenanigans. Bloody good centre back though

Guest Geordiedog

Don't we already have enough Hoilett type players? Marveaux, Obertan Ben Arfa Sammy Am plus a rake of 'kids' are all in that pacer wide attacker mold. Can't see us being bothered unless it's just to make money on. Not that I have a problem with that whole making money thing. I reckon it could be a smoke screen.

Think we need a pacey striker that can cover that LF/RF slot that Demba was playing in. Not sure that Sammy is the answer, not yet at least.

JH is very much a 4-3-3 player in just the positions you describe. What's his work rate like? We talking Scott Parker or Laurent Robert?

I think and hope that is the type of striker we are looking at. Given the amount of Wingers we have been linked with I think that is where we are looking to sign a player.

We have Ba, Cisse and *cough Ameobi that can play in the center so I think we can do without signing another out and out striker, at least until January when we will know if we are losing Cisse and Ba for a month or not.

I don't know about yourself but I have difficulty articulating the differing qualities of a wide player in a 4-3-3 and a wide player (a winger) in a 4-4-2. Is it the ability to play more directly as well as using the width I wonder?

Guest Geordiedog

Two lads from the youth team I run had trials last season and both were told that they're great footballers but they're too slow. Clubs won't look at a player nowadays unless they're greased lightening. Look at the Bigiramana story, for example.

But you're not from a country where no-one would even give a s*** if you played football for the national team.

This really, although I totally agree with Geordiedog's sentiment. I hate the fact players turn their back on their own country and try to pick a more successful nation opposed to help build their own. However some people will do everything they can to be as successful as they can during their careers. Some players might not get the chance to appear at a world cup if they stay loyal. It is similar to Man City buying the title rather than doing it the honest way, or hitting the windows button and reload when your two nil halftime lead is wiped out and you lose the F.A. cup final in championship manager. We are in an impatient age.. few people have the patience to do things the right way if there is a short cut to success.

Guest Geordiedog

But you're not from a country where no-one would even give a s*** if you played football for the national team.

This really, although I totally agree with Geordiedog's sentiment. I hate the fact players turn their back on their own country and try to pick a more successful nation opposed to help build their own. However some people will do everything they can to be as successful as they can during their careers. Some players might not get the chance to appear at a world cup if they stay loyal. It is similar to Man City buying the title rather than doing it the honest way, or hitting the windows button and reload when your two nil halftime lead is wiped out and you lose the F.A. cup final in championship manager. We are in an impatient age.. few people have the patience to do things the right way if there is a short cut to success.

To quote 'The Dead Kennedys' "Give me convenience or give me Death!"

I don't know about yourself but I have difficulty articulating the differing qualities of a wide player in a 4-3-3 and a wide player (a winger) in a 4-4-2. Is it the ability to play more directly as well as using the width I wonder?

I think you have it really. Don't see why a good winger wouldn't work in that position.

Guest Geordiedog

OK but think Kieth Gillespie. A good winger on his day but he'd be no good in a 4-3-3 because he doesn't attack the ball like a center forward. I think you just have to be a bit more physical than you're standard winger. ??

Must be offering him big bucks to go there. Hardly a step-up from Blackburn, IMO.

Well, other than being in the premier league and linking up with Hughes again. They remind me of the Mackems under Keane, shelling out lots of money on wanky players.

I would have been quite pleased with signing him as he's a decent prospect, but comes across as though he's got a stinking attitude on the pitch when I've seen him and moving to QPR over Gladbach or us tells you one or two things about his footballing ambition.  Not necessarily criticising him for wanting to maximise his income but that's certainly part of the reason I'm not going to lose any sleep that he hasn't signed for us.