The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

Guest bimpy474

Think Hughton's got just a bit overrated here over the last few hours.

I loved him, too. I hated it when we got him sacked and got Pardew in.

But, don't we remember when Hughton played Lovenkrands out of position on the left? Don't we remember when Hughton kept playing either Smith or Butt? Don't we all remember that he'd always wait till 70th minute for the first sub and how he celebrated a goal more like a supporter in disbelieve? Well, I do.

But that was as a first time manager, learning the job after being dumped in it big time.

Pardew has been a manager for what ? 5 times as long. Yet hasn't as it seems learnt a thing.

But, don't we remember when Hughton played Lovenkrands out of position on the left? Don't we remember when Hughton kept playing either Smith or Butt? Don't we all remember that he'd always wait till 70th minute for the first sub and how he celebrated a goal more like a supporter in disbelieve? Well, I do.

I remember looking forward to watching us play. I remember watch him re-develop and nurture a relegation squad. I remember feeling proud about the players and the mood around the club. I remember how he got better, and learnt from his mistakes - and I don't remember him hitting any glass ceiling in his growth as a manager.

Oh. I can now also remember Hughton drawing level with us with fucking Norwich's squad after 12 games, and in more entertaining fashion too. :thup:

God I would swap them in a nanosecond, despite certain posters on here having always had soaking wet knickers for "Pards" (vomit), don't let anyone tell you that we ended up with the best end of that deal.

I'd crawl over broken glass to have Hughton back here and maybe see some intent to score a goal back at SJP.

Oh, I also remember coming back from behind to win. Though the memory feels particularly far away, as though it were a dream.

I remember not trying to hang on to 1-0 leads at home to relegation-material squads.

Guest bimpy474

God I would swap them in a nanosecond, despite certain posters on here having always had soaking wet knickers for "Pards" (vomit), don't let anyone tell you that we ended up with the best end of that deal.

I'd crawl over broken glass to have Hughton back here and maybe see some intent to score a goal back at SJP.

Yep, i thought Hoots a fantastic gentleman, closest thing to Sir Bobby you could find in the game, in that way. Best compliment i could pay him. Good manager too.

Beren, I'm even agreeing with you in some parts.

Thing is, Pardew was praised last season and rightly so. It's not that he's suddenly lost all his brain and Hughton suddenly has become God.

A good old quote from a certain Mr. Mourinho comes into my mind here:

One of the most important things I learnt from Bobby Robson is that when you win, you shouldn't assume you are the team, and when you lose, you shouldn't think you are rubbish

Guest bimpy474

Beren, I'm even agreeing with you in some parts.

Thing is, Pardew was praised last season and rightly so. It's not that he's suddenly lost all his brain and Hughton suddenly has become God.

A good old quote from a certain Mr. Mourinho comes into my mind here:

One of the most important things I learnt from Bobby Robson is that when you win, you shouldn't assume you are the team, and when you lose, you shouldn't think you are rubbish

But we can see between the lines, apart from a few games last season, we never controlled games and battled our way to wins. The luck we had has left us too.

That and teams have figured us out, they sit deep and win headers from our obvious long ball hoofs, then hit us on the break knowing we have a lack of pace.

A good manager would see that and adjust accordingly, Pardew hasn't and continues to plough on with a formation and style that isn't working and clearly doesn't suit our players.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember him fazing Smith out and then not playing him or Butt as well.

I remember looking forward to watching us play. I remember watch him re-develop and nurture a relegation squad. I remember feeling proud about the players and the mood around the club. I remember how he got better, and learnt from his mistakes - and I don't remember him hitting any glass ceiling in his growth as a manager.

Oh. I can now also remember Hughton drawing level with us with f***ing Norwich's squad after 12 games, and in more entertaining fashion too. :thup:

I remember that in 3 months after getting promoted Hughton lost at home to Blackburn, Stoke, and Blackpool and drew at home to Wigan and Fulham.

Pardew has lost 8 home games in all competitions in nearly 2 years.

Pardews having his first bad run in 2 years in the job. You would have to be absolutely stupid to swap them purely on the back of home defeats to West Ham and Swansea

Oh. I can now also remember Hughton drawing level with us with f***ing Norwich's squad after 12 games, and in more entertaining fashion too. :thup:

I remember that in 3 months after getting promoted Hughton lost at home to Blackburn, Stoke, and Blackpool and drew at home to Wigan and Fulham.

Pardew has lost 8 home games in all competitions in nearly 2 years.

Pardews having his first bad run in 2 years in the job. You would have to be absolutely stupid to swap them purely on the back of home defeats to West Ham and Swansea

Not quite, we had a run of LDLLDL this time last year.

Guest malandro

Hughton inherited a complete mess and left behind a united squad in eleventh place in the PL.

Pardew inherited a united squad and improved our league position by six places in a year and a half.

Hughton's record in 2010/11 is better than Pardew's this season.