Alan Pardew

Dave

To be fair, the next sentence gives it a little more context:

“Other times, we’ve played and overplayed in games, and haven’t gone long enough.

“Other times, we’ve gone long from free-kicks and deliveries from deep when we should play smaller.”

I think he's saying we've taken the wrong option at times, playing short when a long ball was on and playing long when a short ball and keeping possession would have been a better choice.

Worth quoting again for those that missed, sorry - ignored it.

Most people ignore that because he'll ignore it. As with most things he says it'll be like he never thought about it come kick off.

:anguish: He can't win. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

He usually talks a good game in regard to our problems yet it's not evident that he can actually fix these problems. That's not me being needlessly negative, it's a genuine concern.

I eagerly await our first "float it to willo" tonight.

He should just tell it like it is. The truth, and at least he'd gain some respect. We've become a long ball team, our attacking play is dreadful, 4-4-2 doesn't work with our players, we didn't play 4-3-3 against Swansea. And so on.

That story where he says "we haven't gone long enough at times", i read it earlier and if you read the whole thing it isn't as bad as it sounds tbf to him.

He talks as if we haven't been playing long ball stuff, thats a major worry for me, what he is seeing isn't what everyone is seeing us play. Just to say my reason for being so annoyed by him at the moment are that i detest long ball with all my worth. Its not football, not how i like to see it played or how i liked to play.

"at times we havent gone long enough",

only time i can think of is the first half vs swansea at home.  and first half vs bruge away.

other than that, that statement is complete crap.

That story where he says "we haven't gone long enough at times", i read it earlier and if you read the whole thing it isn't as bad as it sounds tbf to him.

He talks as if we haven't been playing long ball stuff, thats a major worry for me, what he is seeing isn't what everyone is seeing us play. Just to say my reason for being so annoyed by him at the moment are that i detest long ball with all my worth. Its not football, not how i like to see it played or how i liked to play.

Thing is i agree but i would have no problem with long ball if it suited us but the fact it is it doesn't....

That's the mind boggling thing that he's persisting with something that obviously doesn't work..... he buys players like Anita, Cisse, Marveaux, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and many others and persists with long ball.

I just don't understand it.

Guest bimpy474

"at times we havent gone long enough",

only time i can think of is the first half vs swansea at home.  and first half vs bruge away.

other than that, that statement is complete crap.

Aye, thats my worry. Its just not what we are seeing. We aren't blind, i'm not expecting to see Barcelona style football, just passing, movement and interchanging. Nice to watch football that our players are well capable of playing.

And tbf to Pardew had them playing at times last season.

Guest malandro

A few days ago AP was using stats to 'prove' that Playing in Europe affected players energy levels. Now he's saying stats are crap. This kind of bullshit hypocrisy isn't helping anybody.

Anyone watch the Villa game yesterday?

Hard to believe those youngsters have a better idea of how to pass and move into space than the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Anita, Tiote, Ba and Cisse. Unreal.

Pardew is doing a hell of a job screwing this team up it has to be said.

The Villa kids didn't always get it right, but they were trying, and they would occasionally go long to Benteke, who is adept at holding the ball up, or flicking it on. I mean you could see there was some method to what they were doing.

Newcastle at the moment on the other hand ... just random kicks of the ball it seems like.

Guest bimpy474

Thing is i agree but i would have no problem with long ball if it suited us but the fact it is it doesn't....

That's the mind boggling thing that he's persisting with something that obviously doesn't work..... he buys players like Anita, Cisse, Marveaux, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and many others and persists with long ball.

I just don't understand it.

It is baffling, especially with our players as you say.

if playing in europe ever becomes an excuse, he should be sacked!

Less preparation time...ok, but we mostly play squad and young players + players suspended in the PL. It should or could be an advantage.

It has nothing do to with our or his clueless approach!

Less preparation time...ok, but we mostly play squad and young players + players suspended in the PL. It should or could be an advantage.

he's trying to convince us that there are no home games in europe, we all got to travel to the ends of the earth for these type of games.

Obviously it's a factor, you can't prepare for two games at once, no matter who is going to be on the pitch on the night.

Obviously it's a factor, you can't prepare for two games at once, no matter who is going to be on the pitch on the night.

I would say it depends on how you prepare.

That's a bit too vague to argue with, but I can see how it would be much more difficult to work on your approach to a PL game if you're playing a game in Europe in the middle.

That's a bit too vague to argue with, but I can see how it would be much more difficult to work on your approach to a PL game if you're playing a game in Europe in the middle.

Well, we've gone over this a few times before so I didn't want to get into it too deeply again but if our training was focused on how we play and not on stopping the opposition it would mitigate the preparation limitations somewhat.

Well, we've gone over this a few times before so I didn't want to get into it too deeply again but if our training was focused on how we play and not on stopping the opposition it would mitigate the preparation limitations somewhat.

True, it would to a certain extent. I think training towards the specifics of the next game is a pretty ingrained thing though, at least it is to clubs and managers who don't have a clear and unchanging playing style (which is most of them).

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

I'd rather see 4 days of attacking training, and one day of defensive detailed to the next opposition.

Then backing our attacking play to smash the fuck out of em, not bloody set up to stop them first.

Guest bimpy474

That's the point though, isn't it? There's not time for 5 days of training before games when you're in Europe. And attacking training considers the opposition as well probably, unless you're Barca.

I know i was generalising what Pardew said in an interview once. I guess i just want the opposition to worry about us. Obviously when you play Man Utd, City, Chelsea you have to be set up properly.

Just not to extent where you hope to nick a goal and hold on for dear life. Thats very Martin O'nil