Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

Were we fuck the better side. The better side doesn't play with the mindset of worrying about the opposition first. Bullshit as per usual.

Were we f*** the better side. The better side doesn't play with the mindset of worrying about the opposition first. Bullshit as per usual.

They hardly caused us any problems until the last 10 minutes, we were comfortable for long periods of the game.

While we were better tonight, we are still awful in possession and seem scared whenever a player closes us down. If we could actually hold onto the ball for a period of time it'd give our defence rest because quite frankly we invite teams onto us way too much and when you have Williamson back there it's a recipe for disaster.

Guest firetotheworks

Were we f*** the better side. The better side doesn't play with the mindset of worrying about the opposition first. Bullshit as per usual.

They hardly caused us any problems until the last 10 minutes, we were comfortable for long periods of the game.

Aye, comfortable at just defending. Obviously they were going to change something to get a result, we did nothing until after they had scored twice. Why even defend a 1-0 in that way? It's simplistic, naive nonsense in our position.

If they come to defend, which they will, we'll struggle to make anything with deadwood like Jonas in the team.

If they come to defend we stand a far better chance than we do if they come here and have a go.

---

We improved tonight and while it wasn't great there are positives to be taken in to the Wigan game, just need to have a go.

I agree and we could turn our season around against Wigan.

We won´t turn around any season regardless of results. Maybe we can scrap some results and leave the worst danger, but turning around the season... nah.

This, 100%, we should beat Wigan, but that doesn't mean we're gonna have a great season, it will give us 3 points out of 5 of the easiest games anyone could have hand picked.

Just got back from the Britannia and I think a lot of people need to get a bit of perspective.

I'm gutted with that result, and so were the rest of the Geordie crowd, of which there were a fair few and we provided a great atmosphere for 90 minutes.

However, we were extremely unlucky not to win overall. The last 10 minutes were tragic. For 80 minutes, we were the better side and put in a thoroughly professional away performance at a place where it is difficult to pick up any points, let alone play good football.

I went into the game expecting an abject performance, and us to not even show up, so any performance whatsoever exceeded my expectations. The manner in which we lost was galling, no doubt.

80 minutes, we are 1-0 up having generally controlled the game and restricted a tough side at home to a couple of chances. After what looked like a blatant penalty to me, we should have been 2-0 up, home and dry and celebrating 3 points and a professional away performance.

2 defensive mistakes in the last 9 minutes gave Stoke the points, after most of the ground thought we would get away with it.

We may not have set the world alight today, but I think the players and manager put in a good shift overall tonight, and I've no complaints with individual performances except for Williamson.

Tactics were as good as you can expect, effort was there. Confidence seemed to be returning, until the mistakes at the end. Its painfully obvious to me that the main reason we are struggling is the lack of depth in our squad. Look at Stoke's bench (a lower mid table team) vs ours (a European team). They were able to bring on some players that we could use in our squad in terms of depth. Jones and Jerome enabled them to change things whereas we had no options- Marveux perhaps but there might be good reasons why Pardew didnt play him. Take Coloccini and Tiote out of our team and we've not got the reserves leading to our current slump.

Williamson is obviously short of what we need, as is Simpson. Retaining Leon Best, signing Debuchy and another centre back, we'd be several places above in the table now and the prize money would increase accordingly. Point your fingers at the beancounters at the top as to why this is not the case. Although I'd obviously have liked significantly more points and performances from the last 4 games, we've hit poor form, and the XI we've put out isnt that great.

Pardews obviously not a Mourinho or Guardiola, but he was deservedly manager of the season last year. Since appointed, he's done a sound job, and sacking him would be madness. There's no-one we could get that would be a step forward, and we'd lose the recent stability and credibility that the club has had. It was obvious that with the system we've got, Pardew is the man and he's not going anywhere.

Players and manager left the field to sympathetic/ grateful applause from everyone at the Britannia, and Pardews name was sung a few times throughout.

Just got back from the Britannia and I think a lot of people need to get a bit of perspective.

I'm gutted with that result, and so were the rest of the Geordie crowd, of which there were a fair few and we provided a great atmosphere for 90 minutes.

However, we were extremely unlucky not to win overall. The last 10 minutes were tragic. For 80 minutes, we were the better side and put in a thoroughly professional away performance at a place where it is difficult to pick up any points, let alone play good football.

I went into the game expecting an abject performance, and us to not even show up, so any performance whatsoever exceeded my expectations. The manner in which we lost was galling, no doubt.

80 minutes, we are 1-0 up having generally controlled the game and restricted a tough side at home to a couple of chances. After what looked like a blatant penalty to me, we should have been 2-0 up, home and dry and celebrating 3 points and a professional away performance.

2 defensive mistakes in the last 9 minutes gave Stoke the points, after most of the ground thought we would get away with it.

We may not have set the world alight today, but I think the players and manager put in a good shift overall tonight, and I've no complaints with individual performances except for Williamson.

Tactics were as good as you can expect, effort was there. Confidence seemed to be returning, until the mistakes at the end. Its painfully obvious to me that the main reason we are struggling is the lack of depth in our squad. Look at Stoke's bench (a lower mid table team) vs ours (a European team). They were able to bring on some players that we could use in our squad in terms of depth. Jones and Jerome enabled them to change things whereas we had no options- Marveux perhaps but there might be good reasons why Pardew didnt play him. Take Coloccini and Tiote out of our team and we've not got the reserves leading to our current slump.

Williamson is obviously short of what we need, as is Simpson. Retaining Leon Best, signing Debuchy and another centre back, we'd be several places above in the table now and the prize money would increase accordingly. Point your fingers at the beancounters at the top as to why this is not the case. Although I'd obviously have liked significantly more points and performances from the last 4 games, we've hit poor form, and the XI we've put out isnt that great.

Pardews obviously not a Mourinho or Guardiola, but he was deservedly manager of the season last year. Since appointed, he's done a sound job, and sacking him would be madness. There's no-one we could get that would be a step forward, and we'd lose the recent stability and credibility that the club has had. It was obvious that with the system we've got, Pardew is the man and he's not going anywhere.

Players and manager left the field to sympathetic/ grateful applause from everyone at the Britannia, and Pardews name was sung a few times throughout.

:thup:

We know what you think - you already posted this same comment on the thread for the match....

'Grateful applause..?' Was that from the Stoke fans !????

Mick's post is rather positive reading especially considering that he is one of Pardew's critics (no offence meant here btw).

I speak as I find, we were unlucky tonight because we did enough to get something from the game.  I'm not bothered about what has happened in the past because that's gone.  We need points and for the first time in 4 games we looked as if we could get something from a game.

I couldn't give a s*** about Pardew, I only care about the club and I'll slate him when it's needed but not for the sake of it.  Tonight I'm positive and gutted at the same time.

I think that's fair enough Mick. I think he's a clueless manager, but we can cling onto the hope he's still got the dressing room. Lets get behind the lads on Monday.

Yep, both fair comments - we will find out if he's lost the Dressing Room after Monday...

I reckon Ba could be some part of the problem but I am not convinced that Pardew will be a success long term........

No matter what teams we are playing we just can´t creating anything, just defending. Yes it was better, especially the players seemed up for it, but it was one game. I wouldn´t say that from now things will only get better.

We won´t turn around any season regardless of results. Maybe we can scrap some results and leave the worst danger, but turning around the season... nah.

You don't know that we'll not, only time will tell.  We're never going to qualify for Europe this season but we can still regain some pride and enjoyment, two things which have been in short supply so far.

Pride and enjoyment are the only things that 99% of football fans have to aim for anyway, so I would take that.

Good to hear. Well said. :clap:

Well said even though it apportions almost all blame for our current predicament on something you consistently defend?

Guest malandro

Having trouble buying into this we played well theme. We worked hard and strung some basic passes together, but needed a goalkeeping error to find the net and conceded two in five minutes. It was typical of the performances earlier in the season, minus the luck that led to comments about playing badly and winning being the sign of a good side.

Well said even though it apportions almost all blame for our current predicament on something you consistently defend?

:lol: Boom, shake the room.

Yup!

I'm not sure why you're trying to point score on this, but there is a considerable gap between taking positives from keeping the core together while having sympathy with the notion of sticking to our guns on valuations, and being actually happy at where our ambition left us at the end of the window.

I could see us being ok, even justifiably better than the previous season (barring a run of injuries or loss of form obviously :lol:), but we had all hoped for more.

I have a good deal more sympathy for Pardew than Ashley currently for that very reason.