Alan Pardew

Dave

Well it's much easier for people to chuck their toys out of the pram game by game when it doesn't really make any difference to them. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone - some of Pardew's biggest critics on here are Geordies - but there are certain Scandinavian trends and it's a bit galling at times.

not sure i understand correctly....could you explain?

First things first: Where you from?

Honest question. Who do we think has the most influence over the result of the match. Would be interesting to guage as a percentage, eg:

Manager: 20%

Players: 70%

Crowd: 10%

Would that really be the case say for the Reading debacle ?

Well it's much easier for people to chuck their toys out of the pram game by game when it doesn't really make any difference to them. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone - some of Pardew's biggest critics on here are Geordies - but there are certain Scandinavian trends and it's a bit galling at times.

Denmark

Denmark

:ben:

I think there are some managers who have a certain individual quality about them that puts them above the rest and gives their team that bit extra. In the Premiership, I'd put only 3 in that category - Fergie, Wenger and Moyes. Martinez and Laudrup may prove themselves that way if they get a chance with a bigger club.

Pardew I'd say is one of the better managers amongst the rest. I think he's sometimes slow to recognise when something's not working, but generally he holds things together pretty well.

The one thing that scares me is - we'll probably be able to do reasonably well with Pardew in charge, he has his qualities and they'll come through to some extent if he can pull himself and his players together next season. My worry is how much we're missing out on. This squad is exceptional in so many ways. We could be looking at some really exciting times with a really good manager in charge, which is something I'm convinced Pardew isn't after our struggles this year.

Same man who preferred Hayden Mullins over Javier Mascherano. Carlton Cole over Tevez.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it is Pardew's approach to management.

A selection decision that fans don't agree with? How many of those does a manager make every season, or even every month?

Really annoys me when people use the Tevez/Mascherano example as if it proves that Pardew only likes cloggers.

Jonas

The one thing that scares me is - we'll probably be able to do reasonably well with Pardew in charge, he has his qualities and they'll come through to some extent if he can pull himself and his players together next season. My worry is how much we're missing out on. This squad is exceptional in so many ways. We could be looking at some really exciting times with a really good manager in charge, which is something I'm convinced Pardew isn't after our struggles this year.

agree. I like pardew and he has good qualities...but for me he is lacking very important skills. He will never be able to make us play like dortmund for example...i do not think compairing us to dortmund is far off.

I want us to play like them....or at least have a strong concept we should practice harder and not put aside depending on our opponent.

People complained much about Simpson (me too i guess) and his lack of quality...he could never improve us but he did his job ok....very similar to Pardew!

The squad is decent now to a large extent because of Pardew, starting with Ben Arfa and ending in Sissoko. You can argue that many of the players suggested come from Carr and his team, but Pardew plays a significant part in the names passed on, and he has a role to play in persuading the money men to spend which doesn't always seem the easiest of tasks.

Would another possibly more popular manager have assembled a similar squad under Ashley? Would they have kept the better players at the club when the pressure was there to sell post Carroll?

Who knows. :dontknow:

Somewhere down the line, it would be interesting to see whether another manager coming in affects the current players and the cannyness of future signings. I suspect it might, and it's another reason to be wary of calling for Pardews head (despite his shortfalls) too readily imho.

i have no complains about our squad. I love all of them....at least the 15 best of them. And do credit pardew for putting this squad together. It is really really well done...also when you think about the money spend.

This squad can and should achive "something" but can we do it under pardew will playing nice attractive football (for 90 mins)?

that is the question that bothers me.

It's a question I think bothers most of us (though 90mins is a big ask, Mancini barely gets 5mins out of the Man City squad O0).

Thankfully it seems, most are also open to allowing Pardew at least another season (barring some catastrophe) to try and answer in the positive.

Explain things whatever way you want. For me Pardew plays a big role in our demise.

Cabaye's s*** corners, Tioté's poor form, Jonas' decline, our lack of movement, our inability to create anything resembling a chance from set plays (300 corners in a row ffs), our inability to deal with set plays, us being Europe's number one long-ball side, Cissé losing his confidence in front of goal, Williamson suddenly turning into a complete liability.

You name whatever reasons, the manager's role is to prevent them and deal with them. Not many of the above problems have been dealt with particularly well this season.

I blame Pardew.

COME ONN people. Do we really want to blame everything on Pardew. Im nit saying that he is immune from making mistakes and he did stuff up in a number of games this but last season too however we got away with them because our players were playing great but this season they havent lived up to their reputation. Are players not responsible for their performances ? They are not robots controlled by Pardew. He was their manager last season and they were playing well.When this season started a number of our most influential players were not performing especially in the first half. I think this was stemmed from low moral caused by the club not showing ambition to match the international players we have including Cabaye, Tiote, Coloccini, Jonas.

Also having to play Williamsons for the whole first half of this season was a disaster. On top of that Ben Arfa not being available much this season especially in key games and really people shouldn't forget that we had to play kids not in Europa League only but in a lot of Premier League games. The same ones who now have been loaned out to championship teams and scotish leagues.

It is easy to blame Pardew for the disappointment this season has turned out to but I reckon their wont be many managers who could have done better if placed in his position with the same circumstances.

Guest neesy111

Obertan over Ben Arfa, Jonas over Marveaux, Perch over Anita, the list does go on a bit...

Well, there are arguments on both sides for those, and he now clearly prefers HBA to Obertan. In fact he regularly repeats that HBA is our best player.

Perch over Anita I personally disagree with, but you could argue Perch provides some physical presence in DM that Anita lacks. Jonas over Marveaux I also disagree with most of the time, with the caveat that I think Marveaux is a CM and not a wide player.

Many managers make decisions like this, conservative moves that fans would disagree with.

Under Pardew we have also signed some of the most talented players we have had in recent times, I just don't buy the fact that this would be a clear strategy from the club to go the opposite way that the manager they have just given a long contract to would prefer. It doesn't make sense.

Ian for your own sake, I'd advise for you to stop posting in this thread.  I'm feeling sorry for you and Inochi now despite the difference of opinions. :lol:

I realise this is extremely ironic coming from me.... but god lord there's a lot of crap in this thread :lol:

:thup:

Same could be said about the Cisse thread and a few weeks ago, the Colo thread.

Injuries and Suspensions is part and parcel of the game and not an excuse as all managers have to deal with them.

Williamson must have played as many if not more games than any centre back at this club this season.

HBA has played 10 games.

Cabaye, Krul, Tiote and Colo have all missed a fair few.

Injuries are obviously something everyone has to deal with but we have missed a lot of our best players for a fair bit this season. Also our squad depth was pretty poor in most areas compared to other sides many think we should be competing with. We had two centre backs we could rely upon over a number of games (one of them a crock), two strikers, 1 winger/wide forward who can of create anything. One young full back, one steady full back that was scared of getting forward.

I was annoyed in the summer but I did think the squad was more capable than it has been. In hindsight we were always an injury away from a key position being significantly poorer and even 1 or 2 starting who should have been back up at best.

I might have completely made that up, sure someone mentioned it the other day  :blush:

Where is reputable to get player stats? Whenever I find them it turns out to be some shite source that is ridiculed :lol: