Alan Pardew

Dave

I liked Routledge, thought it was an error to let him go so quickly.

Yes. A fair few of us said it at the time too. Stupid, stupid thing to do replacing him with Obertan from a financial and playing perspective.

I keep reading this "we have players capable of much more"... With regards to our team... Makes me think of the national media talking about the England team... Yet after several top managers we ain't any better and we all know its because our players are hyped... Not sure we would be if we changed manager... Will that magically give our players greater pace and passing ability and aerial strength and suffer from less injuries... Give him all of next season IMO... We've still to see HBA alongside our January recruits...

How about simply 'we've got the type of players to play a passing/moving game and we don't do it'. Is that fair?

Not at a very high pace we haven't... Last time we had players for that style was under SBR... We've very little creativity in the team without a fit HBA...

Cabaye, Marveuax and Anita can all do it. You're talking nonsense.

Wayne Routledge can do it too  :whistle:

:anguish:

You'll have to elaborate lad, why are you expressing anguish?

Apologies, I took your post completely the wrong way.

HTT talks a lot of truth, just his timing is off after that massive win. Just enjoy it and pick the bones of Pardew's carcass at the end of the season. It's what I'm waiting for, unless you think we should sack him now, which I believe would be a disaster.

No, sacking him now would be daft. Even I know that much. :D

Then I agree with what you are saying, just your timing is off. People can't see past their noses, end of the season when all we've got to show for it is a bottom half finish and our top players being linked to other clubs, then people will start looking at the bigger picture.

Oddly enough, it seems to me that looking at the bigger picture is precisely why people are finding it reasonable to see Pardew start another season.

If you back Pardew for another season, you deserve to see us relegated.

Fuck me.

HTT talks a lot of truth, just his timing is off after that massive win. Just enjoy it and pick the bones of Pardew's carcass at the end of the season. It's what I'm waiting for, unless you think we should sack him now, which I believe would be a disaster.

Then I agree with what you are saying, just your timing is off. People can't see past their noses, end of the season when all we've got to show for it is a bottom half finish and our top players being linked to other clubs, then people will start looking at the bigger picture.

Oddly enough, it seems to me that looking at the bigger picture is precisely why people are finding it reasonable to see Pardew start another season.

Fuck me.

I know I know, in lala land Pardew is a great manager, shame not all of us live there. Thought you weren't going to respond to me any more after being outed as a fascist sympathiser?

Fuck me.

I know I know, in lala land Pardew is a great manager, shame not all of us live there. Thought you weren't going to respond to me any more after being outed as a fascist sympathiser?

Come on, even if you believe 100% that Pardew isn't the right man (which I know you do, I get it), it's absolutely mental to slam everyone who believes the manager should be given another chance after the two seasons so far.

Fuck me.

Come on, even if you believe 100% that Pardew isn't the right man (which I know you do, I get it), it's absolutely mental to slam everyone who believes the manager should be given another chance after the two seasons so far.

Piss taking aside, I couldn't think of anything more stupid than backing him for another season. I'm dreading him being here, it actually makes me feel sick the thought of the smarmy fucker standing there talking bollocks trying to blame everyone else for his failings while the likes of yourself and others on here finally start to understand we've outgrown him and he's not only holding us back but dragging us down. By then though it'll be another season we will have to write off and another year some several class players will miss out on good football and being competitive and those that are left and haven't want to move on finally do.

That's the future under Pardew, can't believe some people are so willingly ready to embrace it, even people such as yourself who only try to look at the positives in any situation.

BTW don't start with the 'i get it' bollocks, i was trying to say leave off pardew for now and wait till the end of the season.

Your position is clear, it's a fair enough stance. I just think it's a bit extreme. But I have had managers I hated irrationally too (Allardyce for example).

I just dislike the way you make it about player exoduses and 'wasted seasons' when in fact everything like that in football is a gradual scale between success and failure.

Your position is clear, it's a fair enough stance. I just think it's a bit extreme. But I have had managers I hated irrationally too (Allardyce for example).

Maybe I am extreme, that's me but even I said leave off him till the end of the season. The only thing that would convince me to keep him on for next season is winning the Europa which isn't going to happen. For me he ranks alongside Allardyce & Souness only he has a bit more style, suave and bullshitting abilities. He's not as self centred as Allardyce i'll give you that as well, but personalities aside and concentrating fully on the football, very little separate these plums and what I cannot understand it the board over this while they sack one at great cost, they give the other a daft contract, maybe they too are sold on his diet of bullshit and deflection abilities, I just know i'm not.

Maybe I am extreme, that's me but even I said leave off him till the end of the season. The only thing that would convince me to keep him on for next season is winning the Europa which isn't going to happen. For me he ranks alongside Allardyce & Souness only he has a bit more style, suave and bullshitting abilities. He's not as self centred as Allardyce i'll give you that as well, but personalities aside and concentrating fully on the football, very little separate these plums and what I cannot understand it the board over this while they sack one at great cost, they give the other a daft contract, maybe they too are sold on his diet of bullshit and deflection abilities, I just know i'm not.

I think the change of approach from Ashley is in order to create stability and because they have found a manager they can work with. I doubt they have the expertise to know whether he's the right person for the job, but they believe he's good enough to stick with for a prolonged period.

I think the change of approach from Ashley is in order to create stability and because they have found a manager they can work with. I doubt they have the expertise to know whether he's the right person for the job, but they believe he's good enough to stick with for a prolonged period.

Is just about surviving in the league with a top ten squad good enough to stick with long term?

f*** me.

p*ss taking aside, I couldn't think of anything more stupid than backing him for another season. I'm dreading him being here, it actually makes me feel sick the thought of the smarmy f***er standing there talking bollocks trying to blame everyone else for his failings while the likes of yourself and others on here finally start to understand we've outgrown him and he's not only holding us back but dragging us down. By then though it'll be another season we will have to write off and another year some several class players will miss out on good football and being competitive and those that are left and haven't want to move on finally do.

That's the future under Pardew, can't believe some people are so willingly ready to embrace it, even people such as yourself who only try to look at the positives in any situation.

BTW don't start with the 'i get it' bollocks, i was trying to say leave off pardew for now and wait till the end of the season.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments. I think that it's vital the club takes a new direction come this summer. I think we have outgrown Pardew as a team and I am happy for what ''he'' did last season. But this season has been as bad if not worse than the Souness era and that is just unimaginable in my head. I've been disgusted by so many performances by us that I don't think he should be our manager as I have almost no faith in him.

One of the biggest reason for me not liking him is that he's a charming guy who's managing ability is overshadowed by personality. He has done very little since he arrived at the club to prove he's a top class manager, the fifth place came after an incredible start to the season where the team just couldn't concede and then when we were declining he just threw on Benny and our season turned again. Without Ben Arfa there's no doubt in my mind that we would've been a mid-table team once again. This is my opinion and obviously it isn't shared by everyone in here, and I understand some want to give him another season. I just can't bear another season of terribly unexciting weekends.

I mean even European football has been disappointing footballing wise and we could've easily gone out to Metalist or Anzhi. And I could easily seen people calling for his head just like me had Cisse not scored three times in the space of a month in the 90+ minute.

f*** me.

p*ss taking aside, I couldn't think of anything more stupid than backing him for another season. I'm dreading him being here, it actually makes me feel sick the thought of the smarmy f***er standing there talking bollocks trying to blame everyone else for his failings while the likes of yourself and others on here finally start to understand we've outgrown him and he's not only holding us back but dragging us down. By then though it'll be another season we will have to write off and another year some several class players will miss out on good football and being competitive and those that are left and haven't want to move on finally do.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments. I think that it's vital the club takes a new direction come this summer. I think we have outgrown Pardew as a team and I am happy for what ''he'' did last season. But this season has been as bad if not worse than the Souness era and that is just unimaginable in my head. I've been disgusted by so many performances by us that I don't think he should be our manager as I have almost no faith in him.

One of the biggest reason for me not liking him is that he's a charming guy who's managing ability is overshadowed by personality. He has done very little since he arrived at the club to prove he's a top class manager, the fifth place came after an incredible start to the season where the team just couldn't concede and then when we were declining he just threw on Benny and our season turned again. Without Ben Arfa there's no doubt in my mind that we would've been a mid-table team once again. This is my opinion and obviously it isn't shared by everyone in here, and I understand some want to give him another season. I just can't bear another season of terribly unexciting weekends.

I mean even European football has been disappointing footballing wise and we could've easily gone out to Metalist or Anzhi. And I could easily seen people calling for his head just like me had Cisse not scored three times in the space of a month in the 90+ minute.

Even in this shit season he's rode his luck, incredible.  :lol:

In my lifetime as a supporter we've had 3 good squads, under keegan, under bobby and now. This squad under either of those managers (or equal quality) and we'd be buzzing our tits off, we'd all genuinely believe we had a chance of bringing home that Europa cup and qualify for it next year. Instead were scrapping it out to stay in the division. Maybe these players aren't good enough and are bottom of the table quality, maybe that's the problem and Pardew really is a manager up against all odss to keep us here. If that's the case then welcome the offers for them, sell them and buy some players he can work with in his remaining 7 years. 7 fucking years man, its enough to me you cry, and I don't want to have to wait another 7 years to see a squad as good again only to do something daft and employ someone not capable and they ruin it again.

Is just about surviving in the league with a top ten squad good enough to stick with long term?

No, if that happened long term it would obviously be unacceptable.

What is long-term then, the whole 7 years? Wonder how many careers will have been wasted during that time? :(

We need to keep progressing if we want to keep our best players and add new ones, even one year is a long time in football, too long to stick with a fraud in hope he comes good.

He's still getting a lot of stick based on earlier in the season in my view. Since the Norwich game (when he got his first new recruit) we've got 16 points from 11 games. If you applied that kind of form to the rest of the season we'd be at least 8th in the league.

Overall Form: 12th

Last 6 matches: 12th

Home Form: 7th

Away Form: 15th

What is long-term then, the whole 7 years? Wonder how many careers will have been wasted during that time? :(

We need to keep progressing if we want to keep our best players and add new ones, even one year is a long time in football, too long to stick with a fraud in hope he comes good.

You must realise that there is a difference between 7 and 2. 5, to be precise.

To be clearish, I'm not sure what the long term would be, but it's not sacking him after one bad season, that's for sure.

You must realise that there is a difference between 7 and 2. 5, to be precise.

To be clearish, I'm not sure what the long term would be, but it's not sacking him after one bad season, that's for sure.

You must then realise saying long-term then having no set definition on what that means is pretty pointless.

If you think picking the club up after another season like this is easy then by all means support Pardew for another year (that's 2 bad years not 7, difference of 5 to be pricise) We laugh at the mackems for not capitalising on their position when we went down, well we will be just as guilty of throwing it away if we don't look for a new manager in the summer. Its critical he's not here or we will suffer similar regression at a ridiculous speed.

I don't understand some of our fans so keen on getting rid of him, they don't see the bigger picture. 

The one thing that is patently obvious is that the squad like and respect the manager.  This shouldn't be overlooked, especially in a squad of players where one nationality outnumbers the rest significantly.  So for them to all get on as well as they do, can surely be no mean feat.  Some of you would be reluctant to acknowledge that achievement but it has to be said the squad is well managed.

This season has been a very weird one, the obvious period you could point at in November and December, and say that's where it all went wrong. 

Failing to juggle Europe with domestic fixtures, losing every game after a Europa League fixture.

Failing to beat Swansea at St James despite 27 shots (thanks BBC)

Getting robbed in the last 10 minutes at Stoke despite controlling the game.

A stretched team playing 4 games within 11 days.

Then December we had very difficult fixtures,  but could take many positives from performances - away at Old Trafford i thought we were superb, away at the Emirates for 70 minutes, again, we were superb IMO.  Both games he played a high defensive line, proving he isn't adverse to taking risks, like some are quick to point out.  Incidentally check out the starting lines up, championship-esque!

January we weren't bad at all, just a clusterfuck of bad luck together - Ba leaving, Cisse hopelessly out of form, Marveux being the only creative player we would start.  Against Reading - 2 shots on goal, 2 goals.  Everton, we couldn't capitalise on our superior possession and number of chances.

We dropped points left, right and center but you have to take into account all of the above.  Inadequate squad depth being the main problem, in no game was Pardew taught a lesson tactically or shown himself up tactically, far from it.

Since the new arrivals, the results are much more like last season, it has enabled the team to juggle Europa League/domestic a lot better, players have returned from injury and performances on the eye has been more pleasing.  Form since they arrived would see us sit 8th in the table.  Which suggests Pardew hasn't been 'found out' just yet. 

I haven't enjoyed this season but I can understand why the team is were it is in the league.  Next season, for me, without Europa League and having learnt his lessons in regards to having adequate depth would be a truer reflection on whether he is the man for the job.

Appointing a new manager in the summer.. you aren't guaranteed the squad will even take to the bloke, same in regards to standard of football - will it better?  It's highly unlikely they would appoint a proven manager and can any of us be sure they can work with the current structure within the club?

Sounds like a rash and needless gamble at this point in time.  Let's see what we have got first.

I'm happy to wait, but the writing is on the wall as far as I'm concerned. He has no tactical nouse, and this means we'll be consistently inconsistent. I'd love to be proven otherwise, but I've got to the point where I'm 99.9% sure that nothing will change with him. Saying that, I think he can achieve finishes between 9th and 16th in the league, and that may be adequate for the owners.

9 points from 6 games is 12th place form?

9p from last 5 is 13th form.

That averaged over a season is about 57 points. We got 5th with less than that in 2004.

I saw someone on twitter last night saying that averaged over a season would take us 6th at the moment, i'd take 6th next season tbh.  :laugh: