Alan Pardew

Dave

Wigan would qualify for Europe most seasons on current form across a full season. What a pointless thing to say.

Not when it's a rebuttal to a post suggesting our recent form is no better than overall form this season. Try to keep up.

Even out of the responsive context it's pretty relevant when you consider the changes in playing staff since January. Even Dave agreed that Pardew could be more fairly judged when the signings we needed were actually made.

Irrelevant bollocks, though. Right. :lol:

Guest TheGreatBeardo

He fully deserves another season, and I hope he gets it. I'm pretty sure he will. I'm just not expecting it to actually work. While I agree that the EL has stretched the squad a bit, we are basically doing no better than Stoke did under the same circumstances, and I can't believe that we shouldn't be doing at least that. Hopefully Pardew will have learned from the experience, he isn't exactly experienced in Europe.

I don't understand some of our fans so keen on getting rid of him, they don't see the bigger picture. 

The one thing that is patently obvious is that the squad like and respect the manager.  This shouldn't be overlooked, especially in a squad of players where one nationality outnumbers the rest significantly.  So for them to all get on as well as they do, can surely be no mean feat.  Some of you would be reluctant to acknowledge that achievement but it has to be said the squad is well managed.

This season has been a very weird one, the obvious period you could point at in November and December, and say that's where it all went wrong. 

Failing to juggle Europe with domestic fixtures, losing every game after a Europa League fixture.

Failing to beat Swansea at St James despite 27 shots (thanks BBC)

Getting robbed in the last 10 minutes at Stoke despite controlling the game.

A stretched team playing 4 games within 11 days.

Then December we had very difficult fixtures,  but could take many positives from performances - away at Old Trafford i thought we were superb, away at the Emirates for 70 minutes, again, we were superb IMO.  Both games he played a high defensive line, proving he isn't adverse to taking risks, like some are quick to point out.  Incidentally check out the starting lines up, championship-esque!

January we weren't bad at all, just a clusterfuck of bad luck together - Ba leaving, Cisse hopelessly out of form, Marveux being the only creative player we would start.  Against Reading - 2 shots on goal, 2 goals.  Everton, we couldn't capitalise on our superior possession and number of chances.

We dropped points left, right and center but you have to take into account all of the above.  Inadequate squad depth being the main problem, in no game was Pardew taught a lesson tactically or shown himself up tactically, far from it.

Since the new arrivals, the results are much more like last season, it has enabled the team to juggle Europa League/domestic a lot better, players have returned from injury and performances on the eye has been more pleasing.  Form since they arrived would see us sit 8th in the table.  Which suggests Pardew hasn't been 'found out' just yet. 

I haven't enjoyed this season but I can understand why the team is were it is in the league.  Next season, for me, without Europa League and having learnt his lessons in regards to having adequate depth would be a truer reflection on whether he is the man for the job.

Appointing a new manager in the summer.. you aren't guaranteed the squad will even take to the bloke, same in regards to standard of football - will it better?  It's highly unlikely they would appoint a proven manager and can any of us be sure they can work with the current structure within the club?

Sounds like a rash and needless gamble at this point in time.  Let's see what we have got first.

Some good points in there.

Part of the Guardian's "10 things we learned":

Unlike some peers, Newcastle United's manager is what the continentals call a "field coach", devoting countless training ground hours to improving, among many other things, the positioning of individual players. He cares deeply about the job and, after landing from Lisbon on Friday afternoon following Thursday night's Europa League 3-1 quarter-final first-leg defeat at Benfica Pardew seemed unusually anxious about Fulham's potential line-up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/apr/08/premier-league-talking-points

Just thought it was vaguely interesting.

:ronaldo:

:lol: That should be his avatar.

:nods:

Either this is perfect example of the weak/disenfranchised hunting in packs or the point made has been spectacularly misinterpreted. Either way, have fun.

Part of the Guardian's "10 things we learned":

Unlike some peers, Newcastle United's manager is what the continentals call a "field coach", devoting countless training ground hours to improving, among many other things, the positioning of individual players. He cares deeply about the job and, after landing from Lisbon on Friday afternoon following Thursday night's Europa League 3-1 quarter-final first-leg defeat at Benfica Pardew seemed unusually anxious about Fulham's potential line-up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/apr/08/premier-league-talking-points

Just thought it was vaguely interesting.

We can really see the benefits of the bit in bold, not.

I think working on defensive positioning and team shape is one of the most important things for a new manager to do and paid dividends last season.  If he could now just work a bit more on the creative side, I would be happier.  And to be honest, the creative side is just as 'structured' as the defensive side so there is no reason, hopefully, why he can't begin to work on this and improve us in this regard.

Guest optimistic nit

Your position is clear, it's a fair enough stance. I just think it's a bit extreme. But I have had managers I hated irrationally too (Allardyce for example).

Maybe I am extreme, that's me but even I said leave off him till the end of the season. The only thing that would convince me to keep him on for next season is winning the Europa which isn't going to happen. For me he ranks alongside Allardyce & Souness only he has a bit more style, suave and bullshitting abilities. He's not as self centred as Allardyce i'll give you that as well, but personalities aside and concentrating fully on the football, very little separate these plums and what I cannot understand it the board over this while they sack one at great cost, they give the other a daft contract, maybe they too are sold on his diet of bullshit and deflection abilities, I just know i'm not.

:lol: fucking hell i hadn't realised opinions on Pardew were this bad. We finished 5th last season and now we want him gone?

If you look at all the clubs that consistantly challenge for the top places in the league they are either run by multi multi billionaires or have had a manager that has been at the club at least 10 years. If we want to challenge the top then we need that as well, and if its not pardew then fine, but if the new guy comes in and doesn't shine in his first 12 months then you'll want him gone too, never mind whether its good for the long term future of the club. I like Pardew as a person and despite a very poor showing this season, I can't see any justification for sacking him as this season has been a massive learning curve for the team.

Guest optimistic nit

Personally I think we need a couple of new coaches around Pardew who can improve our set pieces and attacking play.

I don't understand some of our fans so keen on getting rid of him, they don't see the bigger picture. 

The one thing that is patently obvious is that the squad like and respect the manager.  This shouldn't be overlooked, especially in a squad of players where one nationality outnumbers the rest significantly.  So for them to all get on as well as they do, can surely be no mean feat.  Some of you would be reluctant to acknowledge that achievement but it has to be said the squad is well managed.

This season has been a very weird one, the obvious period you could point at in November and December, and say that's where it all went wrong. 

Failing to juggle Europe with domestic fixtures, losing every game after a Europa League fixture.

Then December we had very difficult fixtures,  but could take many positives from performances - away at Old Trafford i thought we were superb, away at the Emirates for 70 minutes, again, we were superb IMO.  Both games he played a high defensive line, proving he isn't adverse to taking risks, like some are quick to point out.  Incidentally check out the starting lines up, championship-esque!

January we weren't bad at all, just a clusterfuck of bad luck together - Ba leaving, Cisse hopelessly out of form, Marveux being the only creative player we would start.  Against Reading - 2 shots on goal, 2 goals.  Everton, we couldn't capitalise on our superior possession and number of chances.

We dropped points left, right and center but you have to take into account all of the above.  Inadequate squad depth being the main problem, in no game was Pardew taught a lesson tactically or shown himself up tactically, far from it.

Since the new arrivals, the results are much more like last season, it has enabled the team to juggle Europa League/domestic a lot better, players have returned from injury and performances on the eye has been more pleasing.  Form since they arrived would see us sit 8th in the table.  Which suggests Pardew hasn't been 'found out' just yet. 

I haven't enjoyed this season but I can understand why the team is were it is in the league.  Next season, for me, without Europa League and having learnt his lessons in regards to having adequate depth would be a truer reflection on whether he is the man for the job.

Appointing a new manager in the summer.. you aren't guaranteed the squad will even take to the bloke, same in regards to standard of football - will it better?  It's highly unlikely they would appoint a proven manager and can any of us be sure they can work with the current structure within the club?

Sounds like a rash and needless gamble at this point in time.  Let's see what we have got first.

Don't agree with a lot in that post. First of all, not seeing the larger picture? What in the hell suggests that Pardew will turn this club around? Does he make us play good football? No. Does he win us more games than we draw or lose? No. Is he capable of imposing a style of play instead of changing that after every 90minutes only to revert back to his boring long balls after a while? No. Has he made our team even capable of competing against anyone except key players? No.

I'm sorry but to me it seems like you like Pardew too much for me to take your view as balanced. You are blaming lady luck for not being in our side when it's clear that both the Stoke and Reading game Pardew was highly culpable for our losses. Against Reading especially, I haven't witnessed worse substitutions in a competitive game in a long time. Also all teams in this league have a hectic schedule at some point and you just can't blame that. If anything he rested our best players for most of the Europa League campaign and yet blamed our following losses on that.

My biggest worry is that after soon 30 months in charge I haven't seen anything from him suggesting he will get us playing beautiful football or have any attack minded tactics set out.

For me he is to dependant on individual brilliance and lacks quality as a manager. I don't see this club progressing with him at the helm but obviously hope I'm proved wrong.

Your position is clear, it's a fair enough stance. I just think it's a bit extreme. But I have had managers I hated irrationally too (Allardyce for example).

Maybe I am extreme, that's me but even I said leave off him till the end of the season. The only thing that would convince me to keep him on for next season is winning the Europa which isn't going to happen. For me he ranks alongside Allardyce & Souness only he has a bit more style, suave and bullshitting abilities. He's not as self centred as Allardyce i'll give you that as well, but personalities aside and concentrating fully on the football, very little separate these plums and what I cannot understand it the board over this while they sack one at great cost, they give the other a daft contract, maybe they too are sold on his diet of bullshit and deflection abilities, I just know i'm not.

:lol: fucking hell i hadn't realised opinions on Pardew were this bad. We finished 5th last season and now we want him gone?

If you look at all the clubs that consistantly challenge for the top places in the league they are either run by multi multi billionaires or have had a manager that has been at the club at least 10 years. If we want to challenge the top then we need that as well, and if its not pardew then fine, but if the new guy comes in and doesn't shine in his first 12 months then you'll want him gone too, never mind whether its good for the long term future of the club. I like Pardew as a person and despite a very poor showing this season, I can't see any justification for sacking him as this season has been a massive learning curve for the team.

I'd love to keep a manager for 10 years and have that consistency, but the issue I have is with the bit in bold. I personally feel that the team has been direction-less all season and have shown no signs of learning whatsoever. I'm fine with giving Pards more time, but I doubt anything will change by January, and he'll probably get hounded out by then.

Personally I think we need a couple of new coaches around Pardew who can improve our set pieces and attacking play.

That might be a good case, but that still only proves that Pardew is fucking worthless when it comes to offensive play. As for this:

:lol: f***ing hell i hadn't realised opinions on Pardew were this bad. We finished 5th last season and now we want him gone?

12 months? Pardew has had soon 30 months, and I think what many people worry about is that last season was very obviously down to a lot of individual brilliances at different periods of the season. Personally I don't think it was a lot due to Pardew, he obviously had a hand in it, but I think he's rode a lucky wave of different players surging at different times last season and his past records at other clubs agrees with my opinion.

:lol: f***ing hell i hadn't realised opinions on Pardew were this bad. We finished 5th last season and now we want him gone?

I'd love to keep a manager for 10 years and have that consistency, but the issue I have is with the bit in bold. I personally feel that the team has been direction-less all season and have shown no signs of learning whatsoever. I'm fine with giving Pards more time, but I doubt anything will change by January, and he'll probably get hounded out by then.

:thup:

People seem to forget that we also want him to succeed, it's not that, it's just that the football been served at this club this season is abysmal and actually quite embarassing considering the players we've got and that most of us don't have any faith in him. I'd be more than happy to be wrong this one time (would obviously be the first time as Ramires proved to be a good player and that was the only discussion I drove this far) :p

Some fans are extremely willing to take risks. The rationale is simple: this doesn't work, so let's draw lots again. If we didn't do so, we would not be able to challenge the top.

I never agree with this rationale, btw.

Guest hobshobs

Thursday night will answer a lot of questions relating to Pardew. There are no league points at stake, no need for him to even consider whether to go for a draw or not. We have to come out and go for the jugular, straight from the off. If we take the lead we need to keep going for a second. Plain and simple. The ground will be full and bouncing from the off, 100% behind the team. We all know Pardew can quickly muck up the fan factor with one of his non-sensical substitutions or farcical tactical tweaks. We don't need an Ameobi or an Obertan on the pitch. We need players with a decent touch, an ability to pass and move and a willingness to fight for the cause for 90 minutes. The fans know exactly what is needed, I know the players do, just a bit concerned that Pardew doesn't.

Thursday night will answer a lot of questions relating to Pardew. There are no league points at stake, no need for him to even consider whether to go for a draw or not. We have to come out and go for the jugular, straight from the off. If we take the lead we need to keep going for a second. Plain and simple. The ground will be full and bouncing from the off, 100% behind the team. We all know Pardew can quickly muck up the fan factor with one of his non-sensical substitutions or farcical tactical tweaks. We don't need an Ameobi or an Obertan on the pitch. We need players with a decent touch, an ability to pass and move and a willingness to fight for the cause for 90 minutes. The fans know exactly what is needed, I know the players do, just a bit concerned that Pardew doesn't.

Agree, but the Damage is done for the Haters, they are not for turning.

Just curious, say we play all the players you want as starting eleven, and we need to make substitutes for the last 30 mins, which player in your opinion can come out to do a job then?

If he does that on thursday no one in their right mind will be complaining.

If he does that on thursday no one in their right mind will be complaining.

there will be complainers still ;)