Alan Pardew

Dave

They're fucking shite like, we didn't need to attack them in the second half, just keep the ball and take the sting out of the game. Our ball retention is abysmal.

For the whole of the second half we were clearing it long and the deepest Liverpool player was winning it under no challenge on halfway. They didn't pin us back, we did it for them.

That's the bottom line, and it's what most of the "moaners" are concerned about. It just doesn't look like we practice passing football at all and our players aren't THAT bad.

Great goal took the 3 pounts from us. I honestly didn't think they looked like scoring unless Suarez pulled something out of the hat...which he did!

Thought Anita played well, cabaye was a monster as per usual and Saylor put in a great shift. Still not convinced by both Ba and cisse playing together...

didnt really play together today, before BA was injured Cisse was stuck out wide so him and Ba rarely crossed path.

but yeah Anita did alright considering we were under the gun most of the game.

Just like the macums game if we'd managed to keep the starting XI on and been able to make substitutions by choice, we'd have won today.

There are  a few on here who have made up their minds that Pardew is to blame for everything (including such failures as away draws against Liverpool) but more even minded supporters, though not enjoying performances, realise there is nothing he can do when fate deals him such a rough hand.

:lol:  When fate deals him such a rough hand.  Fate had nothing to do with anything today, everything happened for a reason and it was all within our control.

Sorry, I didn't realise that injuries to Ba,Taylor,Cabaye,Perch and the sending off of Colo was "within our control". Ending the game with nine men and a crock must have been the plan.

Haway man, everyone knows you've got it in for Pardew and you're entitled to that opinion but some of your arguments are just plain daft.

In the first half we were certainly comfortable, don't know about controlling becuase our possession stats don't give that impression.

Second half it was obvious we were playing defensively and with possession counter attacking football, didn't think his game plan was all that bad tbf just caught out once with a long ball

It's impossible to take seriously the views of the Pardew haters, because everything they say is given an unnecessary and rather daft negative spin.

Poor results: Pardew's fault.

Poor performances: Pardews fault.

Poor decisions going against us: Pardew's fault.

Injuries: Pardew's fault.

Sending offs: Pardew's fault.

Ashley not strengthening: Pardew's fault.

It's as laughable as it is excruciatingly boring.

It's impossible to take seriously the views of the Pardew haters, because everything they say is given an unnecessary and rather daft negative spin.

good points,  i can understand the criticism of the turgid one dimensional approach from pardew.  but the rest is too much.

Certainly makes this thread unreadable at times. There is a massive difference between a rationalised argument and just plain OTT criticism.

We looked the most comfortable we'd done all half when they scored, we'd generally moved up the pitch 10 yards or so and were having a decent amount of the ball.

Agreed. I think we made L'pool look better than they are. Very deep. No passing. At 1-1 we looked like we wanted to nick a goal. Shelvey had a couple of good chances but I didn't think they would score again.

You missed out:

Good performances: nothing to do with Pardew.

Good signings:  nothing to do with Pardew.

Any wins: Nowt to do with Pardew, just individual brilliance.

You missed out:

Not at all. Are you not at all concerned by our inability to retain possession? And do you think Pardew is currently getting the best out of what he has got at his disposal?

good points,  i can understand the criticism of the turgid one dimensional approach from pardew.  but the rest is too much.

The rest of what? Most of the complaints are about the turgid one dimensional football.

Stray passing and ball retention is worrying; this gets confounded further when we're relying on those less confident on the ball. With Williamson no doubt in next game this furthers this problem. Colo is a massive component of our distribution and retention. If the others don't buck thei ideas up I can't see us getting much out of the next few.

The main complaint on here is that he plays 442 when we all think he should play 433...

We can't complain about his team selection today? Everybody moans about simpson and he left him out, played a 433ish format... I wonder if he reads this forum?

You missed out:

Not at all. Are you not at all concerned by our inability to retain possession? And do you think Pardew is currently getting the best out of what he has got at his disposal?

Possession is undoubtably a concern.

As for what Pardew has at his disposal; I'd say we're a top half side with a handful of top players who massively overachieved last season. I personally feel we over rate some of our players such as Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote. A fair finish for this squad would be between 7th-9th. To finish 5th last year was incredible and considering we didn't really push on in the summer with transfers, i never really thought we'd match it this year. I reckon we'll finish 8th, do fairly well in the EL and I think that will represent a pretty good season. The bar has been raised very high.

The main complaint on here is that he plays 442 when we all think he should play 433...

We can't complain about his team selection today? Everybody moans about simpson and he left him out, played a 433ish format... I wonder if he reads this forum?

I'm not sure playing Cisse on the wing counts as playing a genuine 4-3-3. I think I preferred Gutierrez out there, at least he's a genuine wide player.

Sorry, I didn't realise that injuries to Ba,Taylor,Cabaye,Perch and the sending off of Colo was "within our control". Ending the game with nine men and a crock must have been the plan.

Haway man, everyone knows you've got it in for Pardew and you're entitled to that opinion but some of your arguments are just plain daft.

Ba just pulled up with what looked like the same injury as he had last weekend, I didn't see anything to cause it today and I didn't see Cabaye pick up an injury.  Taylor looked to have nothing more than cramp and seemed OK at the end.  As for Coloccini getting carded, that had little to do with Pardew but if we're inviting teams on to us we're going to pick up more cards than we would if we were going at them which is fairly straight forward and obvious.

I'm not sure playing Cisse on the wing counts as playing a genuine 4-3-3. I think I preferred Gutierrez out there, at least he's a genuine wide player.

He's genuinely s*** out there, especially when in the final third. Sammy, Obertan, Ba and even Ferguson are far better shouts for it.

In thought we was far too negative after going in front and we asked for trouble but other than that i can't complain too much and i definitely can't complain with the result.

As i said the next 5 fixtures are all very winnable lets take stock and see where we are after those games as we could easily be in a very good position.

I don't think Cisse can play out wide mind, Ba can but he doesn't seem to want to so i think in the long term we might need to try and get a wide player with an eye for goal.

You missed out:

As for what Pardew has at his disposal; I'd say we're a top half side with a handful of top players who massively overachieved last season. I personally feel we over rate some of our players such as Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote. A fair finish for this squad would be between 7th-9th. To finish 5th last year was incredible and considering we didn't really push on in the summer with transfers, i never really thought we'd match it this year. I reckon we'll finish 8th, do fairly well in the EL and I think that will represent a pretty good season. The bar has been raised very high.

Very good post! I agree with this a lot, have a look at what players we have that could make a top four team and we should get a dose of reality:

Krul

Colo

Cabaye

Then we have top eight players:

Tiote

HBA

Cisse

BA

Santon

Jonas

Saylor

We deffo need to get some reality into our predictions.

He's genuinely s*** out there, especially when in the final third. Sammy, Obertan, Ba and even Ferguson are far better shouts for it.

Well then play one of them then. Cisse's not a winger.

You missed out:

Very good post! I agree with this a lot, have a look at what players we have that could make a top four team and we should get a dose of reality:

Krul

Colo

Cabaye

Then we have top eight players:

Tiote

HBA

Cisse

BA

Santon

Jonas

Saylor

We deffo need to get some reality into our predictions.

Q: Who's saying we can/should be able to get into the top four with this squad?

A: See thread title.

Pards is a master of positive spin. I'm sure he felt let down with the summer. After what he achieved, he deserved to be backed and probably deep down knows the CL is well beyond this squad.