Alan Pardew

Dave

We're losing games even before a ball is kicked, he needs a good kick up the arse if he's going to turn things around here.  Somebody should turn off his computers for a few weeks so he has to rely on what is actually going wrong rather than what graphs are telling him.

In the Championship, we did have the huge benefit of being by far and away the best team in the division though.

Knowing the squad had Europe this season and not making the necessary moves in the transfer market was a huge mistake. There are ways to balance the League and Europe, it just requires hard work and commitment. It's easy to hide behind these stats and it's probably the right move,  rather than coming out and saying we simply haven't been good enough. Hopefully, on the training ground and the dressing room he isn't taking these stats seriously and each player is being given the correct information and advice to improve.

Have you seen any proof that the bit in bold is true?  Have you seen anything to suggest that he's just using stats to hide behind while doing something different in reality?  I haven't.

We did have the best squad in the Championship but he's not talking about ability. We have a better squad than West Ham, Swansea and Maritimo too but the players are too knackered and that's why we're getting injuries, apparently (even though up until then the Sunday and Thursday teams were completely different).

Fatigue in fucking November. Jesus.

Pardew man :facepalm:

Lose today, and i think he faces an uphill struggle.

I said at the start of the season we'd finish 10th/11th. I can see it being closer to a Gullit/Souness/Dalglish season of 13th/14th with a good cup run tbh.

I got no problem with statistics in sports, in fact the opposite as I both have a degree in statistic and soon in sports science. The problem though is that football is too complex to only use numbers, you can´t just sit and read the data isolated. You also have to analyse the data with the reality, and that´s something Pardew seems to struggle with big time.

I just think it's a very defeatist attitude to take. If I were a Southampton player I'd be really looking forward to getting stuck into our tired opposition today. It gives the opposition that little boost, we've already lost the mental battle.

The root of our problems is that we're a team based on stoping the opposition, change that mentality and so many of our problems would become easier to deal with, particularly the reduced time to prepare for matches.

I can't really see us having an extended run of form again until Pardew sorts that issue out.

Heartily sick of his bluster. Reading between the lines it sounds like he doesn't trust the player and it wouldn't surprise me if the feeling was mutual.

He really, really needs a result soon or this pressure is going to grow and grow.

I just think it's a very defeatist attitude to take. If I were a Southampton player I'd be really looking forward to getting stuck into our tired opposition today. It gives the opposition that little boost, we've already lost the mental battle.

I agree and that's what's pissing me off with him, he's so negative.  Fatigue is bullshit, we had to play in the Intertoto under Bobby and we played 6 competitive games before the season had even started.  By the end of the season we'd played 53 competitive games and finished 4th which qualified us for the Champions League.  I don’t remember Bobby planting seeds in the heads of the players what we were fatigued.

Our last 10 league games of that season brought us 1 defeat away to Liverpool, we drew 4 of those games and won 5, one of those games was a 6-2 win against Everton.

Mick, I am not going to argue for Pardew but just basically it is ridiculous to expect the player performing equally well when having more matches. It is not "a pro should be" blah blah blah. Just think if you have to work overtime for a few days would you guarantee your quality.of work would remain the same? your work may still get pass your boss though, but the quality must be affected.

To me fatigue is a fucking valid reason given our tiny as shit squad. I feel ashamed for that when I know Ranger is allowed to back to squad.Fucking hell.

Would love to know what Pardew's own ambitions are for the side this year if he's coming out with those comments. We spend an entire season aiming to get into Europe, we get there, then all he does is bitch and moan about it being a strain on the players. Would he rather we not be in Europe at all? If we were not, would results have been any different?

Fwiw I think Pardew was more than happy to toe the party line in the summer when we didn't bring anyone in. Now the shit is hitting the fan it's a useful excuse. That's not to say I don't disagree with his rhetoric regarding squad size btw.

I don't remember much bother with two games a week in the Championship season. Bloke's a proper fraud.

In the Championship, we did have the huge benefit of being by far and away the best team in the division though.

Knowing the squad had Europe this season and not making the necessary moves in the transfer market was a huge mistake. There are ways to balance the League and Europe, it just requires hard work and commitment. It's easy to hide behind these stats and it's probably the right move, rather than coming out and saying we simply haven't been good enough. Hopefully, on the training ground and the dressing room he isn't taking these stats seriously and each player is being given the correct information and advice to improve.

I would argue that bit in bold - After the relegation it probably put a lot more pressure on the team to come straight back up

Would love to know what Pardew's own ambitions are for the side this year if he's coming out with those comments. We spend an entire season aiming to get into Europe, we get there, then all he does is bitch and moan about it being a strain on the players. Would he rather we not be in Europe at all? If we were not, would results have been any different?

Fwiw I think Pardew was more than happy to toe the party line in the summer when we didn't bring anyone in. Now the s*** is hitting the fan it's a useful excuse. That's not to say I don't disagree with his rhetoric regarding squad size btw.

I think interpolic is correct re this switch in tone. Pardew probably feel fucking pissed off behind the scene and start to speak out his real mind.

Fuck the europa and fatigue garbage.  'Running faster and winning headers' is the scariest part of that article.

Where's the free flowing, passing game, Alan?  No, just run and win headers.  Kick it long and sprint up the pitch basically.

I agree and that's what's pissing me off with him, he's so negative.  Fatigue is bullshit, we had to play in the Intertoto under Bobby and we played 6 competitive games before the season had even started.  By the end of the season we'd played 53 competitive games and finished 4th which qualified us for the Champions League.  I don’t remember Bobby planting seeds in the heads of the players what we were fatigued.

Our last 10 league games of that season brought us 1 defeat away to Liverpool, we drew 4 of those games and won 5, one of those games was a 6-2 win against Everton.

This was just before the post-Championship Manager tactical/statistical analysis boom which completely changed the way managers think about the game. I remember Shearer getting rested against West Brom in the cup one year and he said something like "I wasn't raised to have games off" but players are raised like that now. They're told they are tired so they believe it. Telling them BEFORE the game and IN PUBLIC is insane.

I feel so torn over this, on the one hand I was really won over by Pardew at the end of last season after being unsure of him initially. The much lauded 6 game streak that saw us playing really well seemed to cap off a season that was built on being solid and relying on our two clinical strikers to win us the game.

Now though its clear that we haven't built on that solidity and that Pardew hasn't sought to find a system that suits our clinical strikers.

Part of me wants stability and just to ride it out, but part of me (my eyes) can see how bad we are and being honest, how bad we were for big parts of last season.

Mick, I am not going to argue for Pardew but just basically it is ridiculous to expect the player performing equally well when having more matches. It is not "a pro should be" blah blah blah. Just think if you have to work overtime for a few days would you guarantee your quality.of work would remain the same? your work may still get pass your boss though, but the quality must be affected.

To me fatigue is a f***ing valid reason given our tiny as s*** squad. I feel ashamed for that when I know Ranger is allowed to back to squad.f***ing hell.

You're a sheep. 

In 2002-03 we played in the Champions League against Barcelona, Juventus and Inter to name just 3.  After playing those shitty teams we had to play again 3 or 4 days later and guess what, we played 14 Champions League games.  3 or 4 days later we won 12 times and drew 2 without a single loss.

People need to see through the s*** that Pardew is coming out with and think for themselves, of I forgot, the Europa Leauge is tougher isn't it.