Alan Pardew

Dave

Pardew is that bloke who talks s*** on the train and in the end you have to move seats.

not before he forces you to take one his brochures and a business card, which is pretty much a small piece of paper made with a home desk printer and you can see the rough edges of the scissor cuts.

You feel sorry for him so you don't show him your card which is: raised lettering and a pale nimbus off-white. :cheesy:

if you want to impress him just show him your hoof. 

http://healthyhooves.ca/files/crack-shot.jpg

At least he's getting real anyway:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9707292/Newcastle-United-manager-Alan-Pardew-says-his-players-have-had-their-egos-deflated-by-poor-results.html

“We need to re-evaluate and I think we are all aware of that,”

“I won’t say the top six is beyond us, but it will be a long, long run for us.”

Quite the turnaround in three weeks.

The West Brom game keeps getting mentioned, but a) it wasn't particularly typical of our performances last season and b) we didn't exactly look like Barca either. It was a game where things clicked for us, as will happen for every side now and then.

For the most part, our football wasn't that great, and sometimes the margin between success and failure can be very small. This season a few things have gone wrong - some of our newer players are now familiar to the opposition, Ba has been discontented, Cisse has lost form, we've had more injuries - and that's been enough to take us from the European places to near the relegation zone. In the Premiership, a lot of teams are of a fairly even standard, and a small decline can take you down quite a few places.

I don't think Pardew is suddenly an incompetent manager who has no idea of tactics. I do think, however, that the club was hoodwinked by our 5th place finish into thinking that some of our players were better than they really were. If, as seems likely, we got some generous offers based on their inflated reputations, we should have taken advantage of opportunities to trade up.

The West Brom game keeps getting mentioned, but a) it wasn't particularly typical of our performances last season and b) we didn't exactly look like Barca either. It was a game where things clicked for us, as will happen for every side now and then.

For the most part, our football wasn't that great, and sometimes the margin between success and failure can be very small. This season a few things have gone wrong - some of our newer players are now familiar to the opposition, Ba has been discontented, Cisse has lost form, we've had more injuries - and that's been enough to take us from the European places to near the relegation zone. In the Premiership, a lot of teams are of a fairly even standard, and a small decline can take you down quite a few places.

I don't think Pardew is suddenly an incompetent manager who has no idea of tactics. I do think, however, that the club was hoodwinked by our 5th place finish into thinking that some of our players were better than they really were. If, as seems likely, we got some generous offers based on their inflated reputations, we should have taken advantage of opportunities to trade up.

I think 5 wins in a row (F11, A1), having just switched formation, would have to be a hell of a coincidence not to be significant.

Most of our players have previously flourished in a 4-3-3 - Anita won the league at Ajax, Cabaye at Lille, Ben Arfa has four Ligue 1 medals and none playing what we play, Cisse second in goals only to Gomez at Freiburg. It's hardly a stretch to say that's the formation they prefer. If the difference is so insignificant, why has European football more or less given up on 4-4-2?

I think 5 wins in a row (F11, A1), having just switched formation, would have to be a hell of a coincidence not to be significant.

Most of our players have previously flourished in a 4-3-3 - Anita won the league at Ajax, Cabaye at Lille, Ben Arfa has four Ligue 1 medals and none playing what we play, Cisse second in goals only to Gomez at Freiburg. It's hardly a stretch to say that's the formation they prefer. If the difference is so insignificant, why has European football more or less given up on 4-4-2?

For sure, you've hit on an area which Pardew hasn't handled well, in that his decision to try and keep both Cisse and Ba happy has led to us trying to play two out and out strikers, when we should be playing one.

I think my points are still valid though, because even if we were attempting to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, we would still be struggling far more than last season, given the injuries (particularly Cabaye's lack of fitness) and the general quality of our players, which I think is now more exposed.

a lot of us pretty much knows it is not about formations or keeping players happy, we know of his philosophy.

whether is 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 , we are going to play it cautious, long and direct.  We've tried it a few times already this season and it hasn't worked.

last few fixture of last season was pretty much an anomaly in terms of our formation and our style of play, it was probably down to more of how poor the opposition played as they had little left to play for.

don't forgot it didn't always work in that 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation,  taken apart at fulham and west brom.

a lot of us pretty much knows it is not about formations or keeping players happy, we know of his philosophy.

whether is 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 , we are going to play it cautious, long and direct.  We've tried it a few times already this season and it hasn't worked.

last few fixture of last season was pretty much an anomaly in terms of our formation and our style of play, it was probably down to more of how poor the opposition played as they had little left to play for.

don't forgot it didn't always work in that 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation,  taken apart at fulham and west brom.

West Brom when ? and Fulham is hardly comparable..... Best on the left and Shola upfront and no Tiote :lol:

It's pretty obvious that not only the system we deployed in that run of games but the style is more suitable to the players we have than long ball and 4-4-2

West Brom when ? and Fulham is hardly comparable..... Best on the left and Shola upfront and no Tiote :lol:

It's pretty obvious that not only the system we deployed in that run of games but the style is more suitable to the players we have than long ball and 4-4-2

it's obvious that it is more suitable for the players yes, but there's no guarantee we won't play it long.  if we play it long it useless no matter what formation we play.

we had tiote for a many games this season he's not everything to us.  Dont  think we should dismiss shola just like that, he's the only forward we got that slightly has any semblance of a long ball player, he can probably hold up the ball better than Cisse and Ba put together,  and that's not saying much.

he was the catalyst for our 3-0 tonking of man utd.

Don't remember us playing it long much during that winning run tbh.

In any case it's not just the system that was spot on during that run it was the style of play too.... in both cases Pardew has s*** the bed this season.

he has s*** the bed,  we tried every damn formation this season already, apart from 3 at the back, i personally favour the 4-3-3/4-5-1 for what its worth.

but.... this is really damn annoying when people bringing up Ba and last few games we played last season.  This has got to stop, seriously do people really think by putting him outwide is the solution to all our problems,  football is never ever that simple,

put that so called player outwide because he did well in that formation, there for it must work exactly like before, come on.  Our problems are much more deep rooted than that.

another thing Pardew goes on about how much he learned when he was unemployed, hanging around stamford bride like a bad smell, oh how much he admired and soaked in the heir of Mourinho .

he f***ing learned jack s*** from Mourinho, since when did mourinho at chelsea stick his lanky strikers outwide,  he didnt, he played, robben, Cole, duff, etc,  was Drogba or Cresbo, Shevchenko used outwide?  not too many times, 

did Mourinho play two strikers upfront, or even 4-4-2? No! not very often,  so what the f*** has he learned?

Nope it won't magically change the problems are too deep now to simply change the system and expect things to magically get better.

We don't have the players available for it to work anyway.

I was just saying we didn't long ball much during that period and the style of play and system was spot on with the players we had so it's not necessarily true that what ever system we play we will always long ball.

Our problems are not really system based anymore, well it is but it's not the main issue.... the players look like they have never seen each other before in their lifes we have forgotten any basic fundamentals.

I was just disagreeing that through out Pardew's tenure we have always played long ball no matter the system because it's really not true.

Nope it won't magically change the problems are too deep now to simply change the system and expect things to magically get better.

We don't have the players available for it to work anyway.

I was just saying we didn't long ball much during that period and the style of play and system was spot on with the players we had so it's not necessarily true that what ever system we play we will always long ball.

Our problems are not really system based anymore, well it is but it's not the main issue.... the players look like they have never seen each other before in their lifes we have forgotten any basic fundamentals.

I was just disagreeing that through out Pardew's tenure we have always played long ball no matter the system because it's really not true.

i agree its not entirely true, ofcourse not, but you can see it throughout the DNA of his line-ups,  his fall back plan is always the long ball,  its just a matter of time how long his team is on top or falling behind.

You mentioned Best didn't you,  there's your clue,  and Ba being out wide, and Shola and Cisse also been out there.  There is a reason for that,  when we are under the cosh that lanky striker that is playing outwide and then there is also on upfront, there are used as outlets for the long ball to relieve pressure, the only thing is, Pardew forgets that they arent actually any good at holding up the ball.

when the s*** really hits the fan,  that tall striker playing outwide, whether is Best , Ba or whoever magically drifts inside and further up, thus forming straight back to 4-4-2,  that way Pardew saves up on one of his substitution he dont have to waste.  He's economical at least if unimaginative.

we know what Pardew is about now.  He's been found out.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/361065

“I’m not going to get carried away and think if we get a fortuitous win at Stoke all our problems will be solved. The bottom line is, as a football team, you have problems and you have to acknowledge them, otherwise you won’t solve them.

“We have looked at all the problems we have had, including set-plays and we are going to have to change.

“A big creative force in this team is in the treatment room. Hatem Ben Arfa and Cabaye are two big players for us in terms of imagination.

“You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

“The link between the attack and midfield has been a problem for us and playing Stoke is not ideal if you want to get that going again as it will be a stop-start match.”

More promising IMO.

:thup:

All this drama surrounding tactics is understandable to a point but switching to 4-3-3 is by no means just gonna sort all our problems out.

It will give Cisse a more comfortable role, but will the service be any better? It might bring the best out of HBA but will the passing from the rest of the team improve? It means zip what system we apply if we can't get the essentials right.

Get back to looking like a side, work hard, and give the basics prioritisation. I'm sure then we'll start to see an improvement.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/361065

“I’m not going to get carried away and think if we get a fortuitous win at Stoke all our problems will be solved. The bottom line is, as a football team, you have problems and you have to acknowledge them, otherwise you won’t solve them.

“We have looked at all the problems we have had, including set-plays and we are going to have to change.

“A big creative force in this team is in the treatment room. Hatem Ben Arfa and Cabaye are two big players for us in terms of imagination.

“You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

“The link between the attack and midfield has been a problem for us and playing Stoke is not ideal if you want to get that going again as it will be a stop-start match.”

More promising IMO.

He's always talked a good game though, find it hard to imagine much changing.

He's always been good at identifying issues, but not as good at finding ways to resolve them.

Nevertheless, "we have looked at all the problems we have had" is slightly encouraging.

He's always been good at talking a good game - the proof of the pudding will be in the eating....