Alan Pardew

Dave

I don't want to.. but every time he does something on the pitch in terms of the teams he puts out, or does an interview i find myself hating him more and more.

I want to and I do. Such is my annoyance over the whole thing.

I used to be such a positive guy. Thanks a lot Pards.

Guest reefatoon

As things stand if Cisse gets a long term injury we are down.

http://cdn1.hark.com/images/000/833/142/833142/original.jpg

Tbf it doesn't mean we want to hoof....

For one thing he mentioned pace and no hoofball merchant is pacey.....

He basically described Remy and Aubameyang( from highlights i have seen) both are strong, pacey and threat in the air.

I would still hope he is looking to put a new forward out wide and Cisse through the middle tbh.

Agreed. Remy ticks both pace and aerial threat boxes.

Damian Spellman ‏@DamianSpellman

Pardew on Ba's replacement: "I would like, if possible, to have a player with real power and pace...who is going to threaten at set-plays."

Sounds like it'll be a central striker from that. 4-4-2 and hoofing it is then.

I think that's what he wants given his quotes about getting someone who can play with Cisse better than Ba could.

At least we'll have Debuchy to provide some width?

Where is this money tight quote from today?

Didn't you know? We're one of the poorest clubs in the division.

And away from the pitch?

I aint seen this latest rubbish today though, seems every interview is ended with a not very hard to work out cryptic message warning us we may sign no-one.

Pretty obvious why he said it, if you say you are struggling with cash instead of acting like you are loaded you will be stronger when it comes to negotiations....

Barca are masters of it, i remember in the summer they signed Cesc that they said they only had 30m to spend and gradually brought the price down.

I'd rather Pardew say things like money is tight than we brag about how much money we have tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

Pretty obvious why he said it, if you say you are struggling with cash instead of acting like you are loaded you will be stronger when it comes to negotiations....

Barca are masters of it, i remember in the summer they signed Cesc that they said they only had 30m to spend and gradually brought the price down.

I'd rather Pardew say things like money is tight than we brag about how much money we have tbh.

Aye, but Barca are Barca and might have said one thing and then done another. We say we're poor and act like it.

Aye, but Barca are Barca and might have said one thing and then done another. We say we're poor and act like it.

I know there's a massive difference i was just using it as an example, point is we are more likely to get the likes of Remy for the price we want if we don't get arrogant in the press.

I wouldn't take anything from it tbh, means nothing.

:lol: so true.

Tbf it doesn't mean we want to hoof....

For one thing he mentioned pace and no hoofball merchant is pacey.....

Odd thing to say.

Name a target man around who is quick, Drogba was the only one in recent years and he had much more to his game than your standard target man.

Lukaku and Benteke, just off the top off my head.

Lukaku is not that quick. Not sure if he's any quicker than Cisse, really.

Don't be fooled by his frame! That guy can motor trust me.

:yao:

Just heard Pardew talking on the radio. Given the financial ramifications of going down it would be absurd if they deemed it too expensive to bring in both a striker and centre back this windown.

He's right but we knew all this in the summer.... why we didn't get a CB and RB at the very very least after finishing 5th was a utter joke.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/03/alan-pardew-newcastle-manager

Why Alan Pardew seems safe despite Newcastle's nightmare season

The Magpies have lost nine of their last 11 league games, but there are no calls for the manager's head. There are plenty of good reasons

Louise Taylor

The Guardian, Thursday 3 January 2013 21.59 GMT

Jump to comments (12)

As Alan Pardew acknowledges, his Newcastle United side's run of nine defeats in their last 11 Premier League games is "awful" but despite relegation worries and the impending departure of leading scorer Demba Ba to Chelsea, there are no calls for the manager's head on Tyneside, no talk of 'crisis'. Although very much at odds with the club's turbulent image, such understanding is perhaps explained by the healthy stock of plausible answers to almost every question asked of Pardew's regime.

Why are fans not protesting?

A few boos greeted the final whistle when Newcastle were beaten 2-1 by Everton – on Wednesday but generally supporters recognise that Pardew has been undone by a series of injuries to key players including Hatem Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye. Allied to a lack of necessary investment last summer and Europa League-induced fatigue, it is a toxic mix. "Our fans are more knowledgeable than they're given credit for," says Pardew. "They've been very patient and we appreciate that. When you look at the teams we're putting out and the team we could put out they're a million miles apart. We're in an unprecedented year in terms of the blows we've taken. I think you start getting questions asked if you get injury after injury in training, but we haven't had that. We've had injuries in games where people are stretched."

What about Pardew's ego?

In his younger days the current LMA manager of the year could be a bit brash and full of himself, but he really does seem to have changed. These days his ego is well disguised, his words carefully measured and he works assiduously on the training pitch, devoting hours to meticulously detailed coaching and individual chats. He is virtually the only manager to have handled Ben Arfa successfully and the majority of an extremely diverse, multinational and multicultural squad respect and like him.

Are there enough British players in the dressing room?

There have possibly been times recently when the Spanish-speaking captain Fabricio Coloccini has struggled to make himself fully heard in a predominantly French-speaking dressing room dominated by Cabaye and the departing Ba. Overall, though, morale appears surprisingly good. Local boys Shola Ameobi and Steven Taylor are powerful, positive influences, the squad enjoy regular international theme days and Newcastle's Muslim players are comfortable with praying at a training ground far less laddish than in previous eras. "Everyone's working hard for each other and it's just little things that are going wrong," says the goalkeeper, Tim Krul. "Last year everything went for us, this year we're getting smacked in the face. We're in a massive battle now but the manager has shown trust in us; that trust is very important to us and we want to repay him."

Why are they playing so many long balls and how can Mathieu Debuchy fit in?

Pardew's mantra last season was "rhythmic passing" but this autumn Newcastle hit more long passes than any other Premier League side. It is partly explained by the fact that, since August, Cabaye and Cheik Tioté - now away at the Africa Cup of Nations - have barely played together in a central midfield they once controlled and deliveries from defence have often been poor. Pardew trusts the France right-back, a £5.5m arrival from Lille, will rectify matters. "Debuchy will improve our distribution," he says. "It was a difficult conversation to explain our situation to him. He thought we were going to be top eight but he understands that if we can get our best team out, there's no doubt we've got a great side."

Is Pardew's eight-year contract keeping him in a job?

No. It is understood that dismissal would guarantee Newcastle's manager one year's salary but Derek Llambias, the club's managing director, has said he is "entitled to a bad season" and there is an acknowledgement that the squad was not bolstered adequately last summer. "Money's tight here," says Pardew who really needs a new centre half as well as Ba's attacking successor. "But of course Mike [Ashley, the club's owner] has been supportive – and he has to be even more supportive in this window to find the extra money we need to replace Demba." Even so, Pardew will not want to test Ashley's patience by losing forthcoming games against Norwich City, Reading and Aston Villa.