Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest Wally_McFool

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/01/04/nufc-unlikely-to-be-held-to-ransom-over-transfers-61634-32543163/2/

I'd like to think that our fans are more knowledgeable than they've been given credit for.

Given credit for by who exactly, by fatty and despicable Derek?

Is Pardew now telling us in a roundabout way that the owners are taking us  all for being complete mugs or does he mean someone else has not been giving us credit for being "knowledgeable"!  ;D

Come on Pardew, spill the fuckin' beans!    :cheesy:

Tbf it doesn't mean we want to hoof....

For one thing he mentioned pace and no hoofball merchant is pacey.....

Odd thing to say.

Name a target man around who is quick, Drogba was the only one in recent years and he had much more to his game than your standard target man.

Lukaku and Benteke, just off the top off my head.

Lukaku is not that quick. Not sure if he's any quicker than Cisse, really.

Don't be fooled by his frame! That guy can motor trust me.

I watched WBA play Fulham the other night and whilst they lost, they caused Fulham all sorts of problems in the second half, and Lukaku was behind much of this with his mobility and holding of the ball. It was a game well worth watching and tons better than most of the rubbish we have served up this season because WBA ran so well off the ball that they always had plenty of attacking options.

Berbatov had a great game for Fulham too, basically down to him that they won.

Yeah, watched that game too.

Have no idea why Chelsea feel Lukaku can't get a good amount of games for them upfront as an alternative to Torres. He's been brilliant for West Brom when he's played.

I'm wary about taking what he says in press conferences as gospel but quite nice to hear him talking about finding a.n. other striker who will link up well with Cisse.  Think that's the key because Ba/Cisse wasn't a partnership in any sense of the word.

Bastard's gone and built my hopes up as well with this talk of possibly seeing Cabs in a more advanced role. 

I'm wary about taking what he says in press conferences as gospel but quite nice to hear him talking about finding a.n. other striker who will link up well with Cisse.  Think that's the key because Ba/Cisse wasn't a partnership in any sense of the word.

b******'s gone and built my hopes up as well with this talk of possibly seeing Cabs in a more advanced role.

Aye, I get the feeling his ideal front 6 would look something like:

Tiote - Anita

Ben Arfa - Cabaye - Remy

Cisse

If he managed to relegate a team with that attacking lineup I would lead the assassination squad myself!

“I thought Shola was terrific. He wasn’t in the starting line-up when we did the team, but he came in, and I was proud of him.

“Whether he can two games in four days, that’s a risk for him. I am thinking about resting him.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/04/alan-pardew-patience-is-vital-in-new-striker-search-72703-32543260/#ixzz2H0ZHVA2z

God, this guy can be so depressing.

Guest icemanblue

“I thought Shola was terrific. He wasn’t in the starting line-up when we did the team, but he came in, and I was proud of him.

“Whether he can two games in four days, that’s a risk for him. I am thinking about resting him.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2013/01/04/alan-pardew-patience-is-vital-in-new-striker-search-72703-32543260/#ixzz2H0ZHVA2z

God, this guy can be so depressing.

What's he meant to say, like?

“I thought Shola was fucking shit. He wasn’t in the starting line-up when we did the team, but unfortunately Ba fucked off so I had to bring him in, and he was just as turd as always.

“Whether he can two games in four days, that’s a risk for him. So I'll play him and hopefully he gets injured.”

“I thought Shola was fucking shit. He wasn’t in the starting line-up when we did the team, but unfortunately Ba fucked off so I had to bring him in, and he was just as turd as always.

“Whether he can two games in four days, that’s a risk for him. So I'll play him and hopefully he gets injured.”

:thup: :lol:

Do some genuinely believe our manager should slag off his own players in public?

Fair enough challenge players you know who can do better but it would do absolutely no good at all for him to lay into Shola.

:thup: :lol:

Do some genuinely believe our manager should slag off his own players in public?

Fair enough challenge players you know who can do better but it would do absolutely no good at all for him to lay into Shola.

He's been prepared to criticize Cisse publicly on several occasions, what makes Shola exempt given that he's a fraction of the player?

Because Cisse is a better player. The last thing a poor player needs is being kicked in the balls.

He's been prepared to criticize Cisse publicly on several occasions, what makes Shola exempt given that he's a fraction of the player?

That was when we had Ba to be fair. I'm still not convinced in the slightest that Pardew is confident about getting a replacement so he has to keep Shola happy. Especially after pulling him out of a tournament he wanted to play in.

Incredible, isn't it.

Don't think Shola will start tomorrow tbh - think the 2 games in 4 days thing is just to give him a bit of an excuse. And I've no problem with Pards building up Shola's ego, I reckon underneath that mountainous,  mackem-slaying exterior lies a gentle, insecure soul.

Guest firetotheworks

I hate the whole 'well what's he supposed to say?' angle. It's fucking stupid. Of course he isn't going to berate his players, but then he doesn't have to say anything at all, does he?

I hate the whole 'well what's he supposed to say?' angle. It's fucking stupid. Of course he isn't going to berate his players, but then he doesn't have to say anything at all, does he?

Given our current lack of strikers it doesn't do much harm giving a poor one a bit of a boost.

Plus there is a good chance he was questioned about him, should he just say 'no comment'? :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

There's a difference between giving a player confidence and telling the world that he thought his shit performance was terrific. If I was terrible at my job and my manager told me that I was terrific, I'd continue to be terrible and think that it was acceptable.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, I've always thought Shola has played better when he has something to prove, or he's been told to buck his ideas up. Praise doesn't seem to do anything.

Just think of the perfromance Shola had the other day.

And he gets up today, looks at the paper, and sees his manager describing it as a terrific performance.

It's not surprise he lazily ambles about the way he always does. The guy will actually be thinking he's George Weah!

It's disgusting honestly.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/03/alan-pardew-newcastle-manager

Why Alan Pardew seems safe despite Newcastle's nightmare season

The Magpies have lost nine of their last 11 league games, but there are no calls for the manager's head. There are plenty of good reasons

Louise Taylor

The Guardian, Thursday 3 January 2013 21.59 GMT

Jump to comments (12)

As Alan Pardew acknowledges, his Newcastle United side's run of nine defeats in their last 11 Premier League games is "awful" but despite relegation worries and the impending departure of leading scorer Demba Ba to Chelsea, there are no calls for the manager's head on Tyneside, no talk of 'crisis'. Although very much at odds with the club's turbulent image, such understanding is perhaps explained by the healthy stock of plausible answers to almost every question asked of Pardew's regime.

Why are fans not protesting?

A few boos greeted the final whistle when Newcastle were beaten 2-1 by Everton – on Wednesday but generally supporters recognise that Pardew has been undone by a series of injuries to key players including Hatem Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye. Allied to a lack of necessary investment last summer and Europa League-induced fatigue, it is a toxic mix. "Our fans are more knowledgeable than they're given credit for," says Pardew. "They've been very patient and we appreciate that. When you look at the teams we're putting out and the team we could put out they're a million miles apart. We're in an unprecedented year in terms of the blows we've taken. I think you start getting questions asked if you get injury after injury in training, but we haven't had that. We've had injuries in games where people are stretched."

What about Pardew's ego?

In his younger days the current LMA manager of the year could be a bit brash and full of himself, but he really does seem to have changed. These days his ego is well disguised, his words carefully measured and he works assiduously on the training pitch, devoting hours to meticulously detailed coaching and individual chats. He is virtually the only manager to have handled Ben Arfa successfully and the majority of an extremely diverse, multinational and multicultural squad respect and like him.

Are there enough British players in the dressing room?

There have possibly been times recently when the Spanish-speaking captain Fabricio Coloccini has struggled to make himself fully heard in a predominantly French-speaking dressing room dominated by Cabaye and the departing Ba. Overall, though, morale appears surprisingly good. Local boys Shola Ameobi and Steven Taylor are powerful, positive influences, the squad enjoy regular international theme days and Newcastle's Muslim players are comfortable with praying at a training ground far less laddish than in previous eras. "Everyone's working hard for each other and it's just little things that are going wrong," says the goalkeeper, Tim Krul. "Last year everything went for us, this year we're getting smacked in the face. We're in a massive battle now but the manager has shown trust in us; that trust is very important to us and we want to repay him."

Why are they playing so many long balls and how can Mathieu Debuchy fit in?

Pardew's mantra last season was "rhythmic passing" but this autumn Newcastle hit more long passes than any other Premier League side. It is partly explained by the fact that, since August, Cabaye and Cheik Tioté - now away at the Africa Cup of Nations - have barely played together in a central midfield they once controlled and deliveries from defence have often been poor. Pardew trusts the France right-back, a £5.5m arrival from Lille, will rectify matters. "Debuchy will improve our distribution," he says. "It was a difficult conversation to explain our situation to him. He thought we were going to be top eight but he understands that if we can get our best team out, there's no doubt we've got a great side."

Is Pardew's eight-year contract keeping him in a job?

No. It is understood that dismissal would guarantee Newcastle's manager one year's salary but Derek Llambias, the club's managing director, has said he is "entitled to a bad season" and there is an acknowledgement that the squad was not bolstered adequately last summer. "Money's tight here," says Pardew who really needs a new centre half as well as Ba's attacking successor. "But of course Mike [Ashley, the club's owner] has been supportive – and he has to be even more supportive in this window to find the extra money we need to replace Demba." Even so, Pardew will not want to test Ashley's patience by losing forthcoming games against Norwich City, Reading and Aston Villa.

I agree with the majority of this article, maybe not the bit about Debuchy be solution to all our problems, but a good read overall :thup: