Alan Pardew

Dave

Even if we bought those players I don't think we could EXPECT to finish above Chelsea or Everton. Targets need to be realistic imo.

What are you on about man? :lol: Who cares about those clubs?  We should look to continuously improve ourselves.  That's it.  Nothing else to it.

Your assessment of how desperately we should add numbers to improve is obviously up for debate.

We had the 3rd best form in the country from January onwards last season. Our current squad achieved that. As i mentioned before our best results this season have been without both Colo, Simpson & Tiote in part.

What is your basis that suggests we should be going out of our way to match other clubs fee's to maintain or improve? Whats the basis for it beyond insecurity? Because the results dont back it up.

:lol: What?  We have been so fortunate with injuries in the last few years it's unreal.  Surely you can't be happy with us chancing our luck like this time and time again.  If we had bought a couple more players in the summer then we might be able to play a team in Europe that is better than a reserve team for a start.

Llambias is still refusing to give his name to quotes in the Express. :lol: :lol:

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/348723

“If Newcastle don’t win for five matches, hopefully this will end the speculation that Pardew is on the brink of being fired.”

When was this like? In fact Pardew's only gone five games without a league win once, and it only lasted six anyway.

Who helped us get a draw against Everton in the last minutes ofcourse. We did go with one striker for much of last season quite successfully if you remember, we have 3 now. Alternative formations exist.

This must have happened in parallel universe because it didn't happen in this one.

1 injury doesnt automatically make Ameobi a starter. Even if it did, hes atleast combined with one of our better strikers equally as well as Best ever did. Id say his link up play is better than Best's was myself. He was also present in better results than Best.

The goals scored last season by Best gained us 7 points, the goals scored by Shola gained us 1 and I wasn't a fan of Best but I think his movement pisses all over the movement of Shola.

What were the better results where Shola was present when Best wasn't?

Who helped us get a draw against Everton in the last minutes ofcourse. We did go with one striker for much of last season quite successfully if you remember, we have 3 now. Alternative formations exist.

This must have happened in parallel universe because it didn't happen in this one.

:lol: I honestly don't know where these super-sensible, "it'll be alright, man" people come from because I've never met one of them in real life.

It's not hysterical to have genuine concerns about certain things going on at NUFC.

1 injury doesnt automatically make Ameobi a starter. Even if it did, hes atleast combined with one of our better strikers equally as well as Best ever did. Id say his link up play is better than Best's was myself. He was also present in better results than Best.

The goals scored last season by Best gained us 7 points, the goals scored by Shola gained us 1 and I wasn't a fan of Best but I think his movement pisses all over the movement of Shola.

It's alright man, Mick.

:lol: I honestly don't know where these super-sensible, "it'll be alright, man" people come from because I've never met one of them in real life.

It's not hysterical to have genuine concerns about certain things going on at NUFC.

It's crazy and it's as if anything negative said about the club is a personal insult.

Not bothered about the 8 year deal because there will be enough clauses in there to protect the club. 

Haven't fully bought into Pardew either - kind of neutral on him really.  I still think he has a lot to prove.  He says a lot but it often doesn't translate to what we see on the pitch.  I think we have some exceptional players but we are still not getting the best out of them as a team - it always seems to be a case of just doing enough.  I think we have the potential to play loads better than we do (barring the occasional game) and I find it frustrating that the team has not really evolved in its style of play. 

It also seems to me as if he is also trying to "manage" the fans - telling us what we should think and do - I find him quite patronising at times.  And he should stop telling everyone he was manager of the year.  That's been and gone.

As for Llambias, I think he is a repulsive man and I don't believe a word he says and the story changes depending on what propaganda they are trying to promote at any given time.  They have been at the club for 5 years now and they made a fair contribution themselves to the financial mess of the club due to their own incompetence.  It's about time, he stopped looking backwards to blame what went on before them.  I don't have a problem with the financial policy although when other clubs refuse to adopt a similar model and Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are raking in fortunes, I don't really see how we can regularly compete for a Champions League place - the best we can hope for is trying to hang in there in the hope that one of the top 4 messes up like Chelsea last season.

Sorry but I cannot help but remain hugely suspicious of anything Llambias says and the motives for saying them.  I still see a mean-spirited and spiteful board that would prefer to keep the supporters at a distance rather than embrace them.  However, I truly hope to be proved wrong and that they do genuinely have the best intentions for the football club itself and all its employees (whether players, coaches or admin staff) rather than using it as a vehicle primarily to promote Sports Direct.

Not bothered about the 8 year deal because there will be enough clauses in there to protect the club. 

Haven't fully bought into Pardew either - kind of neutral on him really.  I still think he has a lot to prove.  He says a lot but it often doesn't translate to what we see on the pitch.  I think we have some exceptional players but we are still not getting the best out of them as a team - it always seems to be a case of just doing enough.  I think we have the potential to play loads better than we do (barring the occasional game) and I find it frustrating that the team has not really evolved in its style of play. 

It also seems to me as if he is also trying to "manage" the fans - telling us what we should think and do - I find him quite patronising at times.  And he should stop telling everyone he was manager of the year.  That's been and gone.

As for Llambias, I think he is a repulsive man and I don't believe a word he says and the story changes depending on what propaganda they are trying to promote at any given time.  They have been at the club for 5 years now and they made a fair contribution themselves to the financial mess of the club due to their own incompetence.  It's about time, he stopped looking backwards to blame what went on before them.  I don't have a problem with the financial policy although when other clubs refuse to adopt a similar model and Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are raking in fortunes, I don't really see how we can regularly compete for a Champions League place - the best we can hope for is trying to hang in there in the hope that one of the top 4 messes up like Chelsea last season.

Sorry but I cannot help but remain hugely suspicious of anything Llambias says and the motives for saying them.  I still see a mean-spirited and spiteful board that would prefer to keep the supporters at a distance rather than embrace them.  However, I truly hope to be proved wrong and that they do genuinely have the best intentions for the football club itself and all its employees (whether players, coaches or admin staff) rather than using it as a vehicle primarily to promote Sports Direct.

:clap:

Fantastic post.

Solid argument

Well to pad it out a bit, I'm fed up with being accused of being a spoilt kid for wanting moderate investment and the club to have a desire to improve.  Your post encapsulates that attitude and I'm fed up with reading it.

If we set a budget for transfers, how would it make sense to spend over what we estimate that players value to be? With moderate investment that would directly affect the amount we can spend the next time. What if a better player in any position becomes available then next window? Break the budget to get him or miss out?

Also how do our scouting team rate the prospective additions in comparison to our current side, is the improvement worthy of the fee being asked? If its slight improvement, would it be worth relying on our current players if we cannot get them for the price we want so that we can find a bigger improvement in future? 

Is there not a lot more to this situation beyond "i just want moderate investment"? Everyone wants moderate investment man, but it has to be sensible & you have to plan ahead. They have been doing this, this is why we have improved.

Solid argument

Well to pad it out a bit, I'm fed up with being accused of being a spoilt kid for wanting moderate investment and the club to have a desire to improve.  Your post encapsulates that attitude and I'm fed up with reading it.

If we set a budget for transfers, how would it make sense to spend over what we estimate that players value to be? With moderate investment that would directly affect the amount we can spend the next time. What if a better player in any position becomes available then next window? Break the budget to get him or miss out?

Also how do our scouting team rate the prospective additions in comparison to our current side, is the improvement worthy of the fee being asked? If its slight improvement, would it be worth relying on our current players if we cannot get them for the price we want so that we can find a bigger improvement in future? 

Is there not a lot more to this situation beyond "i just want moderate investment"? Everyone wants moderate investment man, but it has to be sensible & you have to plan ahead. They have been doing this, this is why we have improved.

It doesn't work if we repeatedly miss out and leave ourselves short.

If one of Ba/Cisse get injured, we could play the other upfront & play an alternative formation or use Shola as a link up player for them. They would be the spearhead, not Best/Shola. Best scored 3 of his 4 before Ba started scoring. Shola got more assists after that time. As said, this is all irrelevant as Shola wouldnt be a certain starter regardless.

Also, some of our best signings ever were "over-priced" - Shearer was probably over-priced at £15m, same goes for Ferdinand at £6m given his age and the transfer market at that time (we'd only gotten about this amount for a far younger striker Cole from the top club in the country a few months previous), Robert at £10m is another one, even Bellamy was a risk at £6m.  They all proved their value.  I know we're talking about different regimes here but sometimes you just have to get the deal done.  Otherwise we're stuck forever waiting around for contract loopholes while the squad is left woefully short of numbers and quality. 

The situation up front is a disgrace, we've let Best and Lovenkrands go and there is nobody new there.  I hope to God we sort that out in January.

It doesn't work if we repeatedly miss out and leave ourselves short.

No it doesnt. Results with our back up players so far dont suggest we've been left short though do they?

It does impact our ability to compete in cups, but this is acceptable if it leads to getting stronger players in future isnt it? Especially if you can use it to give experience to your younger players instead.

God.  I can't argue with this.  You're insane.

"Results with our back up players" - Well performances so far this season have been poor.  Results have been alright but not great like you're suggesting.  We missed our absentees against Villa who we should be beating and even Everton could have been a more winnable game if we had a stronger squad.  I've only got 5 league games to go on so far.  Don't get me started on the European games which have been a waste of time to watch and I'm not sure why we bothered our arses qualifying at this point.

Your point about cups leans towards a "There's always next year" outlook.  If I ask you about this in 5 years or 10 years then you'll say the same thing.  Because most people connected with NUFC accept and embrace this attitude, we will never win anything.  Ever.

:lol: The thing you're missing is you're not just disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with what our setup has chosen to do. Im providing you with reasoned responses as to why. It is their estimation that we will be able to cope, they are the ones who have evaluated our players before the season started not me bud & you have no basis whatsoever to disagree with them until the results back up your pov. Last season is on their side.

We had a first choice defence against Villa btw & its a bit presumptious to claim that defence wouldnt have conceded similarly against Everton given their form.

My point about cups is that it has the potential to improve our younger players, who due to that experience may help us compete more strongly in future competitions & that the league is more important for our status as a club.

More like dont get insecure about the ability of our squad to cope without sufficient evidence that that is definately the case. Especially not when the setup you're disagreeing with has recently been lauded for their ability to evaluate players ability.