Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest bimpy474

http://i.imgur.com/h8tVt.png

Although funny, what isn't funny is, Pardew seems to think it was Reading's good play and not our bad that meant we didn't play well.

That's a thing that Fat Sam had in huge amounts and it worrys me massively, not seeing our play is so poor that the opposition are being made to look better than they are.

The thought of 8 years of this does nothing for me and I'll be surprised if he can change, he did it towards the end of last season but he's reverted to type.

It might be that the best thing for him/us is if the Demba Ba situation's taken out of his hands in January or the summer (if he's somehow replaced by 1 or 2 more versatile forwards).

The thought of 8 years of this does nothing for me and I'll be surprised if he can change, he did it towards the end of last season but he's reverted to type.

Aye, think he changed out of necessity and then felt that with a full summer to work with he'd be able to make his preferred system work. So far it hasn't worked for him.

Think we can see now why De Jong and Carroll were targeted. The system, shit as it is, would work a lot better with a genuine target man up there.

It'll be a blessing in disguise if Pardew has the stones to revert to the 4-3-3 that we didn't get a big man in. Cisse and Ba should compete for a place and shut up and get on with it if either are asked to play out wide on occasion.

Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas are all vastly more suited to playing in that formation, we have loads of CM's so going with three in the middle makes lots of sense.

Not overly optimistic he'll see the light though.

He's completely wasting the best squad we've had in years. He doesn't have the balls (or brains) to drop the likes of Williamson and Simpson and play players who are clearly better than them i.e Ferguson, Anita, even Tavernier, or reconsider his tactics. With the talent we have going forward we should never in a million years be so paranoid about the opposition, especially teams like Reading, Norwich etc.

I honestly would not mind it if we had a very organised and calculated way of playing, such as being a tough defensive unit and hammering teams on the break by utilising the likes of Santon, Hatem, Demba and Cabaye. But we don't. There's no thought or by the looks of it, understanding, of what we want to achieve during games.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, we played repulsive, turgid ball for half of last season and its carried through to this season and doesn't show signs of improving. It just makes me very frustrated when you watch other teams, like Spurs away at Man Utd this evening, and then compare it to today's showing.

I like Pardew as a bloke, I really do, but as a manager he just isn't do us justice. For me, there's only so far he can take NUFC- and that's NOT going off emotion from today- and I think we will certainly plateau before 8 years time.

Aye, think he changed out of necessity and then felt that with a full summer to work with he'd be able to make his preferred system work. So far it hasn't worked for him.

Think we can see now why De Jong and Carroll were targeted. The system, s*** as it is, would work a lot better with a genuine target man up there.

It'll be a blessing in disguise if Pardew has the stones to revert to the 4-3-3 that we didn't get a big man in. Cisse and Ba should compete for a place and shut up and get on with it if either are asked to play out wide on occasion.

Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Jonas are all vastly more suited to playing in that formation, we have loads of CM's so going with three in the middle makes lots of sense.

Pardew needs to manage Ba, he played wide left in a front 3 and was getting chances and just looked like his luck had run out.  Ba was getting chances that were going wide, hitting somebody or going over the top, he was burrying the same chances from the same position when he was on his brilliant run.

To allow him (Ba) to think he can't play in that position is costing us as a team and it doesn't have to be the case. 

I still don't see any reason why the pair of them can't play together effectively but it can't happen with the way we set up at the moment.

I'd love to know the instructions Pardew sends them out there with.

Neither gets anywhere near the touchline, Cisse kind of just plays off the shoulder of the last defender and Ba stands ten yards deeper.

No width at all, we call it a 4-4-2 but really in practice going forward we play something like this.

Harper

Taylor            Colo

Simpson

Santon

Cabaye        Tiote

Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Cisse

It's wank.

4-3-3 won't solve all our issues and we still won't play incredible stuff, but it'll at least force us to play a bit more spaced out.

Guest bimpy474

Think we can see now why De Jong and Carroll were targeted. The system, s*** as it is, would work a lot better with a genuine target man up there.

Pardew needs to manage Ba, he played wide left in a front 3 and was getting chances and just looked like his luck had run out.  Ba was getting chances that were going wide, hitting somebody or going over the top, he was burrying the same chances from the same position when he was on his brilliant run.

To allow him (Ba) to think he can't play in that position is costing us as a team and it doesn't have to be the case. 

Spot on ;)

He's completely wasting the best squad we've had in years. He doesn't have the balls (or brains) to drop the likes of Williamson and Simpson and play players who are clearly better than them i.e Ferguson, Anita, even Tavernier, or reconsider his tactics. With the talent we have going forward we should never in a million years be so paranoid about the opposition, especially teams like Reading, Norwich etc.

I honestly would not mind it if we had a very organised and calculated way of playing, such as being a tough defensive unit and hammering teams on the break by utilising the likes of Santon, Hatem, Demba and Cabaye. But we don't. There's no thought or by the looks of it, understanding, of what we want to achieve during games.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, we played repulsive, turgid ball for half of last season and its carried through to this season and doesn't show signs of improving. It just makes me very frustrated when you watch other teams, like Spurs away at Man Utd this evening, and then compare it to today's showing.

I like Pardew as a bloke, I really do, but as a manager he just isn't do us justice. For me, there's only so far he can take NUFC- and that's NOT going off emotion from today- and I think we will certainly plateau before 8 years time.

O0

You've nailed it with that first sentence. Can't think of what Allardyce would do much differently if he had the same squad in terms of tactics :lol: Except maybe chastise and marginalise HBA and Ba for not tracking back or something.

O0

You've nailed it with that first sentence. Can't think of what Allardyce would do much differently if he had the same squad in terms of tactics :lol: Except maybe chastise and marginalise HBA and Ba for not tracking back or something.

That wouldn't be any different.

I'd give him a few games down the middle in the 4-3-3 and tell him it's his spot to lose.

Cisse can't argue with being dropped, he's been poor regardless of the service.

I'd give him a few games down the middle in the 4-3-3 and tell him it's his spot to lose.

It's frustrating that fans can see things that the manager can't.

O0

That wouldn't be any different.

That's actually not a bad point ???

I've never ever seen strikers that don't pull wide to make the centre backs think or pull them out of position. Our strikers never do it. Think I saw Cisse do it once in his second or third game for us. Since then they both occupy more or less the same area waiting for the ball over the top. When Hatem picks it up and goes for a run neither of the front two drop off to offer a give and go they just run toward the goal (both of them) every time. There is a real lack of thinking going on. How many time does Santon cut in and look up and see our front two covered cause they are in the same space? Always.

It's frustrating that fans can see things that the manager can't.

:pardsgrin:

Guest bimpy474

Although you are right its this kind of thinking that bugs me (not yours but the English rigid postions thinking). Why do the front 3 have to be left centre and right. Why cant they be free roles to roam and rotate positions.

When we lose the ball whoever is left at the time covers there, same for the right side.

Although you are right its this kind of thinking that bugs me (not yours but the English rigid postions thinking). Why do the front 3 have to be left centre and right. Why cant they be free roles to roam and rotate positions.

When we lose the ball whoever is left at the time covers there, same for the right side.

In theory it could work.

Wouldn't hold out much hope for that happening. We're still trying to get out of playing a long ball 4-4-2 formation at this point, reckon the concept of actually having our players rotate positions during the game would destroy Pardew's brain. :lol:

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

In theory it could work.

Wouldn't hold out much hope for that happening. We're still trying to get out of playing a long ball 4-4-2 formation at this point, reckon the concept of actually having our players rotate positions during the game would destroy Pardew's brain. :lol:

Probably right :lol: If only he could loosen things up a little. He's showing himself to be far too rigid in his thinking and set up.

In theory it could work.

Probably right :lol: If only he could loosen things up a little. He's showing himself to be far too rigid in his thinking and set up.

Aye, it'll be a shame if this stubbornness ends up being his undoing.

Done a great job to this point but we won't be able to go on nicking wins in shit games forever. We need to evolve as an attacking unit, I hope he has some sort of long term vision but it's hard to see what that might be with how we've been setting ourselves up so far this year.