Alan Pardew

Dave

It's pretty depressing how we're all saying the same thing with regards to formations and personnel changes needed. I was trying to cut Pardew some slack earlier and give him the benefit of the doubt, but my God I wish he would just be more brave. Setting up not to lose against teams is just ridiculous imo, let them worry about what we have. Be brave.

Santon frequently bombs forward from left back but has yet to do anything with it, ever.

Cisse's first goal against chelsea at stanford bridge was from Santon bombing forward then that horizontal pass he often tried. He has also been involved in plenty of good build up play for goals, I agree needs to work a lot on his end product but this is an exaggeration.

Howay man, you can hardly credit a full back for giving somebody the ball 20 yards out who then flicks it up and volleys it into the top corner.

I'm not even saying he needs to work on his end product so much as I'm saying he needs switching over to his natural side. He refuses to shoot when he comes inside and his left foot is non-existent so it's an utter waste keeping him where he is.

How else does he score the goal without the ball?

Santon frequently bombs forward from left back but has yet to do anything with it, ever.

Cisse's first goal against chelsea at stanford bridge was from Santon bombing forward then that horizontal pass he often tried. He has also been involved in plenty of good build up play for goals, I agree needs to work a lot on his end product but this is an exaggeration.

Howay man, you can hardly credit a full back for giving somebody the ball 20 yards out who then flicks it up and volleys it into the top corner.

I'm not even saying he needs to work on his end product so much as I'm saying he needs switching over to his natural side. He refuses to shoot when he comes inside and his left foot is non-existent so it's an utter waste keeping him where he is.

How else does he score the goal without the ball?

:rolleyes:

As much as you are correct in almost everything you say Wullie, Santon is the least of our worries.

Disagree. Santon on the left typifies the stifling unbalance in the team atm. Having some width with players on their natural side would benefit us tremendously.

So you would put Santon on the right? Not for me.

For the most part Santon has been confident and comfortable, who needs work on his attacking play. Moving him to right back will cause more problems IMO. I do believe "balance" to be an issue.

As much as you are correct in almost everything you say Wullie, Santon is the least of our worries.

Disagree. Santon on the left typifies the stifling unbalance in the team atm. Having some width with players on their natural side would benefit us tremendously.

I've always thought that, but was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those who advocate playing full backs on their wrong foot. The truth is we have two fantastic strikers but we aren't getting quality service from out wide because of the four wide players we have, only Ben Arfa has genuine quality delivery.

What REALLY annoys me is that we have Marveaux, a supposed top notch creative ball playing midfielder, not even making the bench at times. Whats going on there? Is it fitness? attitude? form?.

It wouldnt solve the balance issue but such a waste.

I've always thought that, but was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those who advocate playing full backs on their wrong foot. The truth is we have two fantastic strikers but we aren't getting quality service from out wide because of the four wide players we have, only Ben Arfa has genuine quality delivery.

FWIW, I'm not saying you can't have players operating on their "wrong" side and have balance, but that's far too advanced for us.

Playing players on their natural side is part of the basics Pardew needs to begin with to get us playing some decent football instead of... whatever-it-is-you-call-what-we've-been-watching.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2012/09/30/alan-pardew-reveals-his-england-ambitions-79310-31934505/

Pardew reveals England manager ambitions.

Ahhh, so that's why Mike has given him an 8 year deal so that if Pardew is poached away by England in the next couple of years as could be very possible, he will get whopping compo from the FA.

Not fuckin' daft is he.

you dont become a millionaire selling socks if your daft  :lol:

Putting Santon at RB and Ferguson at LB would solve a few problems in one move.

That is what quite a few people were suggesting at the beginning of the season when it became obvious we weren't going to sign a full back.

FWIW, I'm not saying you can't have players operating on their "wrong" side and have balance, but that's far too advanced for us.

Playing players on their natural side is part of the basics Pardew needs to begin with to get us playing some decent football instead of... whatever-it-is-you-call-what-we've-been-watching.

natural side doesn't necessarily equate with that foot though. for all I'd rather see ben arfa on the left (than the right, though i'd rather he roamed as part of a front three) i've seen little to make me want santon or jonas on the right.  the whole idea of 'he plays on that side' is what is stifling us when attacking. we are far too rigid, no movement, no fluidity. we have the players to do it as was proved in parts last season but for some reason we wont do it when we have the opportunity.

natural side doesn't necessarily equate with that foot though. for all I'd rather see ben arfa on the left (than the right, though i'd rather he roamed as part of a front three) i've seen little to make me want santon or jonas on the right.  the whole idea of 'he plays on that side' is what is stifling us when attacking. we are far too rigid, no movement, no fluidity. we have the players to do it as was proved in parts last season but for some reason we wont do it when we have the opportunity.

I'd suggest the reason is Pardew doesn't really see the game from that viewpoint. He is more concerned about keeping a strong defensive shape and with two goal scorers up front, the goals will look after themselves. Which has worked to a point because Ba and Ben Arfa keep producing goals from nowhere. The problem is that you don't dominate poor teams with that mindset, so teams like Reading end up bossing us and loving it.

Didnt we have 59% of the ball against Reading? We just didnt do anything with it.

In the first 20 minutes we had loads of the ball, just did nowt with it.

59% of the ball in our own half doesn't really mean that much. If we'd used that possession to get players into their penalty area then we'd have created a lot more I'm willing to bet.

Putting Santon at RB and Ferguson at LB would solve a few problems in one move.

Has Ferguson shown anything, other than crossing ability, to suggest he's ready to start games at LB in the premiership?

He's started league games before and done well. Always looked very positive when he comes on too., which is something we're missing.

The real worry for me is next year. Our entire gameplan is based around using our individual quality to nick a goal while the rest of the team stay where they're told.

What happens next summer when Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa (as well as others) decide they don't want to keep feeding off scraps and trying to finish between 5th and 8th?

Some teams have a recognizable style of play coached into them (Arsenal the best example), so when they lose players, as they often do, it doesn't actually affect them all that much because they keep playing the same way, creating chances the same way. We're not like that, we don't have a style or even a formation that is ours, we just send our players out and basically tell them try not to concede and give it as early as possible to three of the most effective attacking players in the country.

If they're not there, we're in real trouble.

The real worry for me is next year. Our entire gameplan is based around using our individual quality to nick a goal while the rest of the team stay where they're told.

What happens next summer when Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa (as well as others) decide they don't want to keep feeding off scraps and trying to finish between 5th and 8th?

Some teams have a recognizable style of play coached into them (Arsenal the best example), so when they lose players, as they often do, it doesn't actually affect them all that much because they keep playing the same way, creating chances the same way. We're not like that, we don't have a style or even a formation that is ours, we just send our players out and basically tell them try not to concede and give it as early as possible to three of the most effective attacking players in the country.

If they're not there, we're in real trouble.

:thup:

it does disappoint me when people bitch about pardew like kids. he put alot of things right at this club and we can compete with the best again.

If you're disappointed that's too bad. People tend to use forums like this to discuss issues though, and what comes across as bitching to you might make some sense to others. Some of the questions raised as to how the team is set up are the best posts to read for me, but then it's all about opinions.