Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest bimpy474

I didn't understand why Jonas stayed out on the left when Debuchy was getting roasted by Agbonlahor over and over again. Seemed a simple and easy switch to me, using Jonas for the one thing he's still decent at.

no argument with that. the one thing jonas does is work, doesn't matter if it's the left or right, if he's going to do it may as well do it to the best advantage.

Does anyone remember Jonas playing regularly on the right while at us?

Nope, hardly ever. In fact maybe only once.

it was backs to the wall after villas resurgence. Not a defensive change that invited villa into the game.

I was disgusted with Pardew changes against Reading. But this was nowt like that.

The defensive change should have been made though, Taylor was blowing out of his arse and had done very little.  Instead we take off a defensive midfielder and put on a shola.

There isn't a team in the country that doesn't play well for spells in games. I'd say we easily qualify as consistently dreadful. I can't name one game where I came away very happy with the performance.

I didn't understand why Jonas stayed out on the left when Debuchy was getting roasted by Agbonlahor over and over again. Seemed a simple and easy switch to me, using Jonas for the one thing he's still decent at.

no argument with that. the one thing jonas does is work, doesn't matter if it's the left or right, if he's going to do it may as well do it to the best advantage.

Does anyone remember Jonas playing regularly on the right while at us?

he hasn't regularly, more so when a dead ball situuation has broken down and he's found himself there. he played there a bit for mallorca though, seem to remember him creating a few for that forward guiza or somesuch ?

however my main gripe with pardew at the minute is his persistence with jonas.

awesome may be exaggerating but we've had a fair few times where we have played quite well, now I don't know why in gods name we can't keep it up for 90 mins but theres enough signs there especially recently where I'd be prepared to keep faith with him

The answer is in the thread title.

There isn't a team in the country that doesn't play well for spells in games. I'd say we easily qualify as consistently dreadful. I can't name one game where I came away very happy with the performance.

can you remember the last time we played better in the second half than the first regardless of the score ?

It's depressing when when another manager thinks logically with tactics we can't counteract to them.

But I'm reading a lot of stick targeted at Pardew half time talk.  He had nowt to the react to then.

When they had us on the ropes he gave it a long time before reacting with a change of his own. And his changes failed to relieve the pressure, but despite Lambert having a warm feeling about making changes we struggled to overcome, Pardew will feel warmer he set us up from the off to do enough to win the points.

Bordeaux at home.

His substitutions were surreal tonight but conceding a penalty straight away in the second half was the worst thing we could have done.

It gave them hope of something and we were unbelievably nervous, not surprising as it's been that long since we've won. If we had gone on 15 or so minutes in the second half without conceding I have no doubt we would have scored a few more goals. So while yes, his changes were questionable and remain so, personally I don't think his half time team talk was to soak up a barrage of pressure, incidents in the game made the situation unravel incredibly quick.

In a twisted way the 2nd half showed the players are still on his side which is something to go with these precious points.

can you remember the last time we played better in the second half than the first regardless of the score ?

everton 2nd half at goodison earlier this season, abomination of a first half but much better 2nd

Guest neesy111

We were at Stoke until he collapsed like a ton of bricks.

Chelsea and Spurs at start of the season come to mind.

The league table doesn't lie after 24 games and we've been dreadful for prolonged periods of the season. The manager of a football club is responsible for results and performances and our results and performances have been dismal for months. No idea if Pardew is going to get binned or not but he certainly deserves to on the evidence of this season.

Quite how anyone can defend his decisions/results this season is beyond me. Well it's not as some people simply love to be contrary and wind people up.

In the short term (I.e. last match) - he sent out a starting XI and tactics that did enough to win the game in the first half, unsure about his second half adjustments but got the 3points. Good enough for a win.

In the medium term (I.e. last 3/4mths) - has had a difficult season in terms of performances AND results; some of it self-inflicted (like trying to shoe-horn Cisse out wide to accommodate Ba's goals, always trying to defend a lead rather than push on) but he's also had other factors to deal with which perhaps aren't directly his fault (lack of suitable playing squad for 3 competitions leading to overplayed players and out of form players, directly resulting in a bigger injury list particularly key players). Don't think he's done a great job of grinding out results, but has previous of this last season so not going to write him off just yet.

In the long term (I.e. last 18mths) - the awful Autumn run has taken some of the shine off what was a swift progression for the club on and off the field. Think he overachieved last season and will probably admit at the end of this season that he got caught up in all of the hype and excitement at finishing 5th (talk of top 4, etc). A mid-table finish and some signs of progress on the pitch would restore my belief that last season wasn't a one-off.

Nevertheless, he's also shown that he understands his role at the club and how the owner wants things to work, so that's another tick in the box as far as I'm concerned as I'm sick of changing the manager every other season. That's not to say I'm happy with a manager for the sake of continuity, but he's still in credit after his first 18mths for me.

While I understand where you're coming from I can't give him and credit for the way he's been using excuses as if they were being plucked from "Excuses for Dummies."

You've mentioned injuries and we have had some, we've still had enough to get something out of West Ham, Swansea or Southampton instead of 3 league defeats off the bounce.  Tonight he's used Ba leaving as an excuse for heads dropping, Ba was here for those games and he just used a different excuse.

Towards the end of last season i thought I might have been wrong about him, even though large parts of last season wasn't as good as the results might suggest.  This season though, he's dropped more bollocks than a doctor in a vasectomy clinic.  He doesn't only drop bollocks which most people recognise, he repeats them and that to me is beyond being accidental, it's a major flaw and one that he's unlikely to put right at his age and after managing for so long.

Last season was as well as we'll ever do with him, I don't think we'll qualify for Europe again if we keep him and if we accept that then we probably are accepting mid-table.

On the other hand, last season's success was attributed (in part) to how well organised the team was with the team spending 4 days defending and 1 day practicing worldies* - a coaching strategy that apparently got waylaid with the Euro adventures. So a season without Europe in 13/14 should see a substantial improvement over the points picked up over this season - as I said to Disco in an earlier post, it's up to the evolution of Pards and the club to ensure we can cope with the workload in future seasons (should we make it back to Europe).

I can see why the 'post-match excuses' would irk people - they are horrendously clichéd - but at the same point, I know there's still a lot of people who just don't like HIM (regardless of the results) and another set who flip and flop depending on the result. In a disappointing season, his quotes have been scrutinised and dismissed a little more than last season - a symptom of the poor performance/results IMO.

My concern isn't with the shit excuses but the shit results when teams were there for the taking - Swansea, Reading, West Ham. If he's propagating the same shit to the dressing room, then we have a serious problem but I suspect this is something he's trying to emulate his idol with.

everton 2nd half at goodison earlier this season, abomination of a first half but much better 2nd

your right,any more ? why are we a first half team, i don't think it's tactics.

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

Lambert won the tactical changes hands down....he still didn't win from behind either.

Guest neesy111

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

Lambert won the tactical changes hands down....he still didn't win from behind either.

Did you see the team Villa had out compared to us?

And we survived by the skin of our teeth. What's the point you're trying to make?

You asked a question, I answered it. You think it's fitness, I know that it isn't from watching us. He likes us to kick it far away from our goal when we're winning. That's it.

don't you think he has the same tactic when we are losing ?

Guest bimpy474

Pardew's talk about control the midfield and you control the game. Well you don't do that by handing the opposition the midfield on a plate as soon as see you are under pressure.

He talks a fantastic game, which is why i suspect the player like him, but fuck me on the pitch it's a different matter. As soon as a change is needed, his limited ability comes to the fore. His changes are clueless and more to the point our supporters are seeing it too. The bloke worries the fuck out of me, we have a great squad but General Custard in charge of them.

Pardew's talk about control the midfield and you control the game. Well you don't do that by handing the opposition the midfield on a plate as soon as see you are under pressure.

He talks a fantastic game, which is why i suspect the player like him, but f*** me on the pitch it's a different matter. As soon as a change is needed, his limited ability comes to the fore. His changes are clueless and more to the point our supporters are seeing it too. The bloke worries the f*** out of me, we have a great squad but General Custard in charge of them.

i see the players in similar terms, they can do fantastic things, look great for spells, but they collapse when there's pressure, i'm not sure who to blame.

He doesn't get everyone behind the ball, no. He generally takes off the entire central midfield and has the players run around a bit. I'm not sure what he does when we're behind can be described as a tactic, so in that sense what he does when we're winning is at least a plan, even if it's a pathetic, cowardly, stupid one.

Guest bimpy474

He talks a fantastic game, which is why i suspect the player like him, but f*** me on the pitch it's a different matter. As soon as a change is needed, his limited ability comes to the fore. His changes are clueless and more to the point our supporters are seeing it too. The bloke worries the f*** out of me, we have a great squad but General Custard in charge of them.

i see the players in similar terms, they can do fantastic things, look great for spells, but they collapse when there's pressure, i'm not sure who to blame.

Really ?.

Not sure i'm more baffled by that or by Pardew.