Alan Pardew

Dave

I think we should have a list drawn up and be actively trying to speak with a few managers for the start of the season, if a top replacement is willing to come then give him the boot. It's morally pretty poor but it's highly likely that he got the job the same way.

If we start next season with a new manager I would be far more enthusiastic tbh, not that I don't think Pardew can do a job if he's backed properly.

I'm confident with Pardew as a man manager but not at all as a tactician, I wouldn't want to lose some of the players he clearly has on side. What we need is a jobshare, someone to do all the thinking that Pardew can't  :lol:

The main line of argument for keeping Pardew has become 'sacking managers hasn't worked for us in the past'. When that's all you've got left you know you're talking about a manager who's just not doing his job well enough.

I'm confident with Pardew as a man manager but not at all as a tactician, I wouldn't want to lose some of the players he clearly has on side. What we need is a jobshare, someone to do all the thinking that Pardew can't  :lol:

Don't buy that personally, he is a good man manager. But if we get a manager in the mould of someone say like Pochettino at Southampton, then players buy into ideas i doubt they will pack up and leave just because we sacked Pardew for poor results.

I think we should have a list drawn up and be actively trying to speak with a few managers for the start of the season, if a top replacement is willing to come then give him the boot. It's morally pretty poor but it's highly likely that he got the job the same way.

If we start next season with a new manager I would be far more enthusiastic tbh, not that I don't think Pardew can do a job if he's backed properly.

Literally no chance that will happen IMO. The club let him down massively in the summer and he's had it as a legitimate excuse all season, no matter how poorly you believe he's coped with it. The more I think about it, the more I think Llambias' comments about spending £31m this January is effectively the club handing Pardew the rope to hang himself with.

The club need to back him again in the transfer market this summer. If they do and things don't improve then they'll perhaps start thinking about value for money in a difference context.

Bottom line is that I can't wait to draw a line under this season, hopefully with our Premier League status intact and thinking optimistically we may have progressed further in the Europa or at least not shown ourselves up against Benfica.

I don't think there's much chance of next season being anywhere near as bad as this season, whatever happens.  I'd imagine if Pardew stays it will just be bang-average, with poor performances and mid-table results.  An opportunity lost in other words, but I don't think we'll be in serious relagation trouble 2 years running.  If that's what people are happy with then fair enough, because I'd be fairly surprised to see us attacking the top 6 again with this guy in charge - it seems like his luck's ran out and what he did last season was built on sand, in terms of footballing ethos to see you through whatever rub of the green you might be experiencing.

The style of football has a big bearing on things, it would be far easier to sympathise with Pardew if he wasn't responsible for making your eyes bleed once or twice a week.

Guest neesy111

Bottom line is that I can't wait to draw a line under this season, hopefully with our Premier League status intact and thinking optimistically we may have progressed further in the Europa or at least not shown ourselves up against Benfica.

I don't think there's much chance of next season being anywhere near as bad as this season, whatever happens.  I'd imagine if Pardew stays it will just be bang-average, with poor performances and mid-table results.  An opportunity lost in other words, but I don't think we'll be in serious relagation trouble 2 years running.  If that's what people are happy with then fair enough, because I'd be fairly surprised to see us attacking the top 6 again with this guy in charge - it seems like his luck's ran out and what he did last season was built on sand, in terms of footballing ethos to see you through whatever rub of the green you might be experiencing.

The style of football has a big bearing on things, it would be far easier to sympathise with Pardew if he wasn't responsible for making your eyes bleed once or twice a week.

:thup:

This is the biggest problem for me. He's been here 2 and a half years and our attacking play is still incredibly disjointed and it's not good enough.

That is a top post.

Literally no chance that will happen IMO. The club let him down massively in the summer and he's had it as a legitimate excuse all season, no matter how poorly you believe he's coped with it. The more I think about it, the more I think Llambias' comments about spending £31m this January is effectively the club handing Pardew the rope to hang himself with.

The club need to back him again in the transfer market this summer. If they do and things don't improve then they'll perhaps start thinking about value for money in a difference context.

They both seem really unhinged so I do think anything can happen, but it does seem like that is the plan. I think he'll do well enough with decent backing too which may or may not be best for the club in the long term, making it a bit of a catch22.

This is the thing which annoys me more than anything else. The results have been as shit this season as they were good last season, but barring a number of excellent matches that you could count on one hand the actual performances have normally been very similar. That is, scrappy, often overly defensive football and regularly relying on individual brilliance. He's been here well over two years now and still there's little discernible pattern to our play, or idea of the direction we're going in. I know it's a cliché that we like to take the piss out of, but you look at Liverpool and you can already see what they're trying to do. Doesn't always work, but they stick with it.

Pardew was fucked over in the summer but by the same token he's had largely the same squad since he came here and yet any style he's trying to implement isn't really emerging. Be nice to see something happen on this front next season.

Aye, basically this :thup:

This is the biggest problem for me. He's been here 2 and a half years and our attacking play is still incredibly disjointed and it's not good enough.

It's not even a case of 'still'. It appears to have actively regressed in the time he's been here. That's what I fear the most, just how disjointed can he possibly make us look?

Good post Dave. Let's not forget that aside from a few notable exceptions the football was the same last season. We will not progress under Pardew, not while he relies on keeping it tight and nicking it, because you'll always, always be undone by injuries, bad luck and more importantly the other fucking team. At some point the manager needs to make the team into one that can be more than the sum of its parts, triumph over adversity etc etc. I could take that job, make all the players my mates and win games when the other team let us. Anyone could.

I couldn't care less about the style of play at the moment if i'm honest.

I just want to see a team capable of winning away from home and quite frankly winning full stop, style of play is nice and all but some consistent positive results would be much nicer.

I didn't give a shit about style of play last season because we were not losing nearly every bloody week.

I want Pardew to improve the style of play as much as the next person but until i see a team capable of winning some games consistently its definitely at the back of my mind for now.

Good post Dave. Let's not forget that aside from a few notable exceptions the football was the same last season. We will not progress under Pardew, not while he relies on keeping it tight and nicking it, because you'll always, always be undone by injuries, bad luck and more importantly the other f***ing team. At some point the manager needs to make the team into one that can be more than the sum of its parts, triumph over adversity etc etc. I could take that job, make all the players my mates and win games when the other team let us. Anyone could.

People need to move on from expecting him to change, he is what he is.

I just want to see a team capable of winning away from home and quite frankly winning full stop, style of play is nice and all but some consistent positive results would be much nicer.

I didn't give a shit about style of play last season because we were not losing nearly every bloody week.

I want Pardew to improve the style of play as much as the next person but until i see a team capable of winning some games consistently its definitely at the back of my mind for now.

Some of us did, because we knew that if it didnt change, this was coming.

Well of course I couldn't give a shit right now because the games I want us to win are in a cup and to stay up. :lol:

I just mean that there's not a great deal of evidence that we're progressing on the pitch.

I didn't give a s*** about style of play last season because we were not losing nearly every bloody week.

Aye i know, i just didn't think in my wildest nightmares it would be this bad :lol:

Well of course I couldn't give a shit right now because the games I want us to win are in a cup and to stay up. :lol:

I just mean that there's not a great deal of evidence that we're progressing on the pitch.

There's none.

Guest bimpy474

It's like having Fat Sam's nicer looking much more charming twin in charge, same percentage football ethos though.

I didn't give a s*** about style of play last season because we were not losing nearly every bloody week.

This, really.

Even look at what were probably our two best home performances of last season - Man Utd, Stoke. Two drastically different and ultimately unsustainable performances. Yes, you have to have a degree of tactical flexibility, but without anything that vaguely resembles a coherent footballing identity you will not have sustained success.

It's like having Fat Sam's nicer looking much more charming twin in charge, same percentage football ethos though.

He's Pulis in a suit, cuz.

It's actually an insult to Pulis or Fat Sam tbh. At least they buy the players that suit the formation and have a genuine gameplan with it. And don't try to butter the supporters up with lies about the style of play they're aiming for.

This is the thing which annoys me more than anything else. The results have been as shit this season as they were good last season, but barring a number of excellent matches that you could count on one hand the actual performances have normally been very similar. That is, scrappy, often overly defensive football and regularly relying on individual brilliance. He's been here well over two years now and still there's little discernible pattern to our play, or idea of the direction we're going in. I know it's a cliché that we like to take the piss out of, but you look at Liverpool and you can already see what they're trying to do. Doesn't always work, but they stick with it.

Pardew was fucked over in the summer but by the same token he's had largely the same squad since he came here and yet any style he's trying to implement isn't really emerging. Be nice to see something happen on this front next season.

He talks the talk in this respect, but the fact we're yet to see the expansive football he's so insistent that he's working towards 2 and a bit years down the line indicates he's making excuses and it's a bit of a red herring.  We're still at the point where he's crowing about getting his best 11 on the field, when the reality is that most managers in the league are never in this position but have to utilise their best available players and not let the squad fillers dictate their style of play too much.  When he was implying that having 2 players out of 11 (Simpson and Williamson) who weren't very good footballers meant that he had no choice but to play this way then I knew he was getting a bit desperate and it was another excuse for the football we were playing. 

You mention Liverpool and it's a fair comparison, man-for-man we're not that far apart but the football we're playing is about 30 years behind.  It will stand them in good stead, yet if you believe what Pardew's saying then we're going to have to start at square one on this mythical day when everyone's fit and on-form, as he's insisted on playing tedium-ball for much of his tenure, due to one excuse or another.