Alan Pardew

Dave

Pardew may well survive as manager if we stay up but eventually, this thread will be a hot topic within a few months of next season starting...and then there will be far less choice for the board to pick from if they DO decide to bullet him.

Why is this? Are you expecting a sudden increase in managerial retirements? Are they expanding the number of Premiership teams?

Still lost as to how having a reserve team back line means that we should play more defensively? Surely it'd be advisable to take the pressure off them by being more bothered about keeping possession?

I guess pardy at least recognises his limitations. He's not coached a cohesive passing team, so it's either all attack or all defend. And I know which one were going to see more of in the future. :(

Semtex, like Skeletor said there's no point in talking about it anymore, some just don't agree with our mindset. My fear is we'll see exactly the same tactics adopted in the weekend...

I would be surprised and disappointed in AP if this was the case.

Still lost as to how having a reserve team back line means that we should play more defensively? Surely it'd be advisable to take the pressure off them by being more bothered about keeping possession?

I guess pardy at least recognises his limitations. He's not coached a cohesive passing team, so it's either all attack or all defend. And I know which one were going to see more of in the future. :(

Semtex, like Skeletor said there's no point in talking about it anymore, some just don't agree with our mindset. My fear is we'll see exactly the same tactics adopted in the weekend...

I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to contain Sunderland for the first 15-20 minutes and let them settle into the game. He let Southampton do it and I've seen other clubs do it at our place. I hope he doesn't and try to get the fans behind the team from the off by attacking and attcking them. They're an extremely average side we should be winning both halves.

Surely it'd be advisable to take the pressure off them by being more bothered about keeping possession?

aye, this is something we're awful at like and would serve us well in a lot of games, make the other team chase the ball...as it stands a lot of the time the oppo can more or less stand still and it'll end up back with them

I don't think we played "defensively" last night in the first half, we simply played sensibly. It was very similar to large parts of last season - very rigid four man midfield, stick to attacking with long balls and don't do anything daft, nick one if you can but worry about that later.

I even saw someone say that because we once beat Man United 3-0 that we should have gone after Benfica - the gameplan in that game was practically identical! Keep it tight and heave long balls.

I would be surprised too, I think Sunderland's main concern will be pressuring and stopping us. I don't expect them to offer a lot going forward.

Guest icemanblue

Beating Sunderland will buy him many fans' favour going into the summer.

I'd say he has that from the majority, already.

Guest icemanblue

Look at the top of this page.

The internet is not representative of the club's fans as whole. :lol:

N-O is in no way representative.

Guest neesy111

:serious:

I don't like the bloke but going off N-O is mental.

Guest neesy111

He's not majorly backed on twitter I'd say 50/50 split.

I'd say 50/50 with a 15% margin of error.

I don't think we played "defensively" last night in the first half, we simply played sensibly. It was very similar to large parts of last season - very rigid four man midfield, stick to attacking with long balls and don't do anything daft, nick one if you can but worry about that later.

I even saw someone say that because we once beat Man United 3-0 that we should have gone after Benfica - the gameplan in that game was practically identical! Keep it tight and heave long balls.

Spot on, it was a clear approach that so very nearly worked against a very good side. It was the first leg where we shot ourselves in the head.

Guest neesy111

I'd say 50/50 with a 15% margin of error.

Yeah fair enough, but roughly its half for/against as far as I can tell. I wouldn't express my dislike of the football at a game, not a chance,I'm there to back the team, so I don't think that the match is representative of views either

Exactly.  No one really knows.

How often do people go on to the internet to exclaim how non-plussed they are about a product or a company?

You only ever get the extremes: people promoting and people complaining. The split is overwhelmingly in favour of the latter.

For all the disappointment, the result was a fair one and there looked to be a recognition among home fans that they'd lost out to a genuinely talented side. Spirit will only take you so far and the individual errors of the first leg ultimately proved to be insurmountable - regardless of Pardew's team selection tonight, scoring twice and keeping a clean sheet was a very tall order indeed.

We won't be playing European football next season, but after the experience of contending with no less than fourteen UEFA ties this time round, there's simply no reason why both domestic cup competitions can't be taken seriously, with first choice XIs selected.

:thup: especially the bit in bold; we've got a better squad and about 10 less games to cater for (presuming we do take the cups semi-seriously).

Guest neesy111

How often do people go on to the internet to exclaim how non-plussed they are about a product or a company?

You only ever get the extremes: people promoting and people complaining. The split is overwhelmingly in favour of the latter.

Clueless as usual Stu.

Guest neesy111

what happened with stu and neesy like, thought they were forum buddies at one point? :lol:

I realized that he was twat.

For all the disappointment, the result was a fair one and there looked to be a recognition among home fans that they'd lost out to a genuinely talented side. Spirit will only take you so far and the individual errors of the first leg ultimately proved to be insurmountable - regardless of Pardew's team selection tonight, scoring twice and keeping a clean sheet was a very tall order indeed.

We won't be playing European football next season, but after the experience of contending with no less than fourteen UEFA ties this time round, there's simply no reason why both domestic cup competitions can't be taken seriously, with first choice XIs selected.

:thup: especially the bit in bold; we've got a better squad and about 10 less games to cater for (presuming we do take the cups semi-seriously).

Yep, Pardew must take credit for taking Europe seriously, especially with our perilous league position. Hopefully he will carry that attitude into the cups next season.